Videocard

Last response: in Video Games
September 18, 2005 9:54:34 PM

Guardian Pegasus, others,

I want a new videocard, and you are going to tell me which one! I now
have a GeForce4 Ti 4200, 128 Mb. It need be an AGP-card. I want a
better one with which I can make do for another couple of years,
before I buy another system/motherboard. How important is the amount
of video memory? Is ATI really better for gaming than NVidia, or is
that only an item for shooters?

I have a Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB. Budget is not a major issue. TIA!

T.

More about : videocard

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 9:54:35 PM

Taemon wrote:
> I want a new videocard, It need be an AGP-card. Budget is not a major
> issue

Well if you're willing to spend as much as possible on it, I would suggest
something like a Radeon X850 pro or equivalent, these are mostly made with
PCIE but you can get them with AGP.

> How important is the amount of video memory?

For the sims, not very, but it does improves performace slightly. For more
demanding games it will help.

> Is ATI really better for gaming than NVidia

I've always prefered ATI and never bought an NVidia card so don't know much
about them, but recently NVidia have got alot better and much more popular
than before. NVidia's numbering system is confusing as well so I would
never know what to buy anyway.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 9:54:35 PM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Guardian Pegasus, others,
>
> I want a new videocard, and you are going to tell me which one! I now have
> a GeForce4 Ti 4200, 128 Mb. It need be an AGP-card. I want a better one
> with which I can make do for another couple of years, before I buy another
> system/motherboard. How important is the amount of video memory? Is ATI
> really better for gaming than NVidia, or is that only an item for
> shooters?
>
> I have a Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB. Budget is not a major issue. TIA!

Here's a website that has benchmarked various cards, including how they work
with the Sims 2

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index...

I just bought a nvidia 6600 GT, which I'm not sure I'm happy with yet.
September 18, 2005 11:25:24 PM

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> I want a new videocard, It need be an AGP-card. Budget is not a
>> major issue
> Well if you're willing to spend as much as possible on it,

That wasn't exactly what I said ;-)

> I would
> suggest something like a Radeon X850 pro or equivalent, these are
> mostly made with PCIE but you can get them with AGP.

Okay.

<snip>

Thank you.

T.
September 19, 2005 4:23:11 AM

> Here's a website that has benchmarked various cards, including how they
> work
> with the Sims 2
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index...
>
> I just bought a nvidia 6600 GT, which I'm not sure I'm happy with yet.

i have nvidia 6600 GT I'm happy with it but you know 6800 heap more power
but i can't afford at the moment. Other day I pick nvidia 6600 (not GT ) lot
cheaper and it RED CARD I LOVE RED anyway for my B PC I surprised GeForce 4
Ti4200 beat 6600 by plenty.....result by Performance Test 5.0
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:12:13 AM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:54:34 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>Guardian Pegasus, others,
>
>I want a new videocard, and you are going to tell me which one! I now

Yes, miss! LOL

>have a GeForce4 Ti 4200, 128 Mb. It need be an AGP-card. I want a

Definately room for improvement here.

>better one with which I can make do for another couple of years,

Oki doke.

>before I buy another system/motherboard. How important is the amount
>of video memory?

Ammount of video memory is... very unimportant LOL. As long as you
have enough, that is! Nightlife requires 32MB. There just aren't a lot
of games that require more than 32 or 64MB. I have 128MB and that's
more than enough for all new games the last 2 years and probably for a
while to come, however, since you want it to last we should look at
256MB cards.

>Is ATI really better for gaming than NVidia, or is
>that only an item for shooters?

It varies based primarily on game engines and optimzation. At the
moment is' pretty dead even except for the very top. So the question
is, what games do YOU play?

>I have a Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB. Budget is not a major issue. TIA!

Every videocard has to be paired with the rest of the system. Stuffing
the very best videocard into a 2000+ will not allow the CPU to push
the GPU. You should try to find out what the maximum CPU power you can
put on your motherboard is, and try to find the best CPU. If you can
find a 2400+ Malaysian Thunderbird core (266Mhz FSB) of as late date
as possible, chances are you could overclock it to 3000+ with ease.
Such a CPU shouldnt be expensive either.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2558-x-x-x&body...

Back to videoperformance... you might be able to get far better
performance with say a 6600 or 6800GT... BUT your CPU might not be
able to push it, so you might not get double plus afterall... it's a
tricky business, but basically your videocard will suffer under your
CPU no matter what you upgrade to, but you should still receive a
performance increase.

What do you think? Tell me the name of your motherboard, and I'll try
to find out it's limitations. But I don't know any dutch hardware
shops, and such a chip might be difficult to locate without 'local'
knowledge.
--

"I put it to YOU sir, that it TAKES a pedophile, to see
such perverted things in a children's game!"

"Guardian Pegasus" wrote...
> "Taemon" wrote:
<snip>
>>I have a Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB. Budget is not a major issue. TIA!
>
> Every videocard has to be paired with the rest of the system. Stuffing
> the very best videocard into a 2000+ will not allow the CPU to push
> the GPU. You should try to find out what the maximum CPU power you can
> put on your motherboard is, and try to find the best CPU. If you can
> find a 2400+ Malaysian Thunderbird core (266Mhz FSB) of as late date
> as possible, chances are you could overclock it to 3000+ with ease.
> Such a CPU shouldnt be expensive either.
>
> http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2558-x-x-x&body...
>
> Back to videoperformance... you might be able to get far better
> performance with say a 6600 or 6800GT... BUT your CPU might not be
> able to push it, so you might not get double plus afterall... it's a
> tricky business, but basically your videocard will suffer under your
> CPU no matter what you upgrade to, but you should still receive a
> performance increase.
>
> What do you think? Tell me the name of your motherboard, and I'll try
> to find out it's limitations. But I don't know any dutch hardware
> shops, and such a chip might be difficult to locate without 'local'
> knowledge.

BTW, I don't remember which web site I visited, it says The Sims 2 is a
CPU-intensive game, but less of a graphical one. So if your aim is for good
performance for The Sims 2, then CPU upgrade is a priority. Though I must
admit after I upgraded my card, the graphics quality gets a major
improvement, so that maybe an issue (I use ATi x700 Pro with 256mb).
Anyways, do listen to whatever GP said about matching the performance of
your CPU and the rest of the hardware. Upgrade the bottleneck hardware
first.

Ashikaga
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:36:58 AM

Jeremy Reaban wrote:

> Here's a website that has benchmarked various cards, including how
> they work with the Sims 2
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index...

Thank you!

> I just bought a nvidia 6600 GT, which I'm not sure I'm happy with
> yet.

And why is that?

T.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:57:26 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

>> I want a new videocard, and you are going to tell me which one! I
>> now
>> have a GeForce4 Ti 4200, 128 Mb. It need be an AGP-card. I want a
> Definately room for improvement here.

Thought so. Although I am quite happy with my machine's performance.
The only thing I'd really want to improve is the speed of the game; on
a large lot, with lots of sims, the game lags.

Of course, I hear all this stories about "I've got a new videocard and
it all looks so much better!" I'm beginning to realise that the same
possibility probably holds for my system :-)

>> before I buy another system/motherboard. How important is the
>> amount
>> of video memory?
> Ammount of video memory is... very unimportant LOL. As long as you
> have enough, that is! Nightlife requires 32MB. There just aren't a
> lot
> of games that require more than 32 or 64MB. I have 128MB and that's
> more than enough for all new games the last 2 years and probably for
> while to come, however, since you want it to last we should look at
> 256MB cards.

Okay. But remember, the original plan was to only upgrade the
videocard, and in a few years switch to a whole new system. But if I
am to upgrade the CPU too, what does that mean for the investment in a
videocard? Should it be top of grade, or should I be more modest for
now and go for a PCI in the long run?

>> Is ATI really better for gaming than NVidia, or is
>> that only an item for shooters?
> It varies based primarily on game engines and optimzation. At the
> moment is' pretty dead even except for the very top. So the question
> is, what games do YOU play?

Sims, adventure games and city builders. No shooters, no RPG's.

>> I have a Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB. Budget is not a major issue. TIA!
> Every videocard has to be paired with the rest of the system.
> Stuffing
> the very best videocard into a 2000+ will not allow the CPU to push
> the GPU. You should try to find out what the maximum CPU power you
> can
> put on your motherboard is, and try to find the best CPU. If you can
> find a 2400+ Malaysian Thunderbird core (266Mhz FSB) of as late date
> as possible, chances are you could overclock it to 3000+ with ease.

Wait wait wait... I'm a programmer. I don't know anything about
hardware :-) CPU... that's in the motherboard, isn't it? Does that
mean buying a new motherboard? And I don't think I'd go into the
overclocking business. I won't take risks with hardware after two
previous fried motherboards :-)

> Back to videoperformance... you might be able to get far better
> performance with say a 6600 or 6800GT... BUT your CPU might not be
> able to push it, so you might not get double plus afterall... it's a
> tricky business, but basically your videocard will suffer under your
> CPU no matter what you upgrade to, but you should still receive a
> performance increase.

Hm. Well, that is a hard decision. As I said, I'm pretty happy with
the machine I have. I only want to upgrade because of the Sims. But it
would be a shame to spend much money on a card and not be able to use
it properly... Like the time I had a Nakamichi cassettedeck with a
midi amplifier :-)

> What do you think? Tell me the name of your motherboard, and I'll
> try
> to find out it's limitations. But I don't know any dutch hardware
> shops, and such a chip might be difficult to locate without 'local'
> knowledge.

That's alright, I know the good shops in town. And you can ask
questions, and they won't treat you like you are stupid. My
motherboard is called Echelon. Oh, wait, THAT kind of name! Er... AMD
Athlon 2000+ is not what you mean? What about "Albatron KX600 Pro
Socket-A DDR400 AGP8x"? I have no idea what that means :-) Otherwise,
tell me where to look.

Thanks already!

T.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:58:31 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

> BTW, I don't remember which web site I visited, it says The Sims 2
> is
> a CPU-intensive game, but less of a graphical one. So if your aim
> is
> for good performance for The Sims 2, then CPU upgrade is a priority.

Okay, that changes perspective.

> Though I must admit after I upgraded my card, the graphics quality
> gets a major improvement, so that maybe an issue (I use ATi x700 Pro
> with 256mb). Anyways, do listen to whatever GP said about matching
> the performance of your CPU and the rest of the hardware. Upgrade
> the bottleneck hardware first.

Thanks to you both! I knew I could safely ask here for good advice.

T.
September 20, 2005 2:23:44 AM

>That's alright, I know the good shops in town. And you can ask
>questions, and they won't treat you like you are stupid. My
>motherboard is called Echelon. Oh, wait, THAT kind of name! Er... AMD
>Athlon 2000+ is not what you mean? What about "Albatron KX600 Pro
>Socket-A DDR400 AGP8x"? I have no idea what that means :-) Otherwise,
>tell me where to look.

What it means is that your motherboard will support any AMD Socket A
CPU there is. The bad news is that the socket A platform is almost
dead. If you can get an Athlon XP 2800 cheap, that's the one to go
for. You may also be able to get a Sempron CPU, but it's not going to
be that much of an improvement.

With a system like that I wouldn't spend much money on a video card, I
would just have bought a cheap Nvidia AGP 6200 card, but that's me:-)
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:43:35 AM

"Taemon" wrote...
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> BTW, I don't remember which web site I visited, it says The Sims 2 is
>> a CPU-intensive game, but less of a graphical one. So if your aim is
>> for good performance for The Sims 2, then CPU upgrade is a priority.
>
> Okay, that changes perspective.

I was obliged to oblique the perspective. :-D

>> Though I must admit after I upgraded my card, the graphics quality
>> gets a major improvement, so that maybe an issue (I use ATi x700 Pro
>> with 256mb). Anyways, do listen to whatever GP said about matching
>> the performance of your CPU and the rest of the hardware. Upgrade
>> the bottleneck hardware first.
>
> Thanks to you both! I knew I could safely ask here for good advice.

Yeah, I suppose.... Though with you saying a programmer wouldn't know
hardware really want me to chase after you with a cream pie, and splut you
on your face. :-D

Though there is one thing GP mentioned I should correct at this moment
(beside my own type of "maybe" which really should be "may be"). The
graphic card's memory is mainly used to store texture maps. So if you are
playing adventure games and the like, you wouldn't have to worry too much
about it, unless the game is heavily depended on real-time 3D rendering
(which most of the adventure game aren't). Most of the graphics card are
equipped with sufficient minimum memory for its speed (i.e., you won't find
current day graphic cards equiped with 32mb of ram).

Ashikaga
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:06:16 AM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:57:26 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>Thought so. Although I am quite happy with my machine's performance.
>The only thing I'd really want to improve is the speed of the game; on
>a large lot, with lots of sims, the game lags.

Unless you've set your graphical settings too high, a new videocard
won't improve the speed :-(

>Of course, I hear all this stories about "I've got a new videocard and
>it all looks so much better!" I'm beginning to realise that the same
>possibility probably holds for my system :-)

Hehe... it does *look* an awful lot better... Sims 2 is very odd in
that sense. Video power is used solely for eyecandy while CPU power
determines game smoothness (unless you've set graphics too high, then
CPU has to handle those subroutines), and memory ultimately determines
how much you can load. Too little memory and you'll also lag your
game. I think in your case you could do with an upgrade of both CPU
and Video. Problem is you can't carry your memory to your next
computer probably.

>Okay. But remember, the original plan was to only upgrade the
>videocard, and in a few years switch to a whole new system. But if I
>am to upgrade the CPU too, what does that mean for the investment in a
>videocard? Should it be top of grade, or should I be more modest for
>now and go for a PCI in the long run?

Videocards basically have the shortest life. If you upgrade now,
you'll have to upgrade video again in two years because it will be
slowing you down :-(

I'd go for a cheap card now. Most bang for the buck. The X700 Pro is
really cheap now (100 euro) and can offer serious eyecandy, but no
matter what you buy it probably wont speed up your game. At half that
price you could buy a 9600 PRO, which would be well paired to your
system.

>Sims, adventure games and city builders. No shooters, no RPG's.

I'd go for ATI. NVIDIA is more expensive also, and their low end cards
like 6200 are awful for Sims 2.

>Wait wait wait... I'm a programmer. I don't know anything about
>hardware :-) CPU... that's in the motherboard, isn't it? Does that
>mean buying a new motherboard? And I don't think I'd go into the
>overclocking business. I won't take risks with hardware after two
>previous fried motherboards :-)

Everything is pretty much in the motherboard hehe, except for drives
and powersupply. What kind of programming do you do? Sounds like we
have enough tech geeks in here to start a business LOL

>Hm. Well, that is a hard decision. As I said, I'm pretty happy with
>the machine I have. I only want to upgrade because of the Sims. But it
>would be a shame to spend much money on a card and not be able to use
>it properly... Like the time I had a Nakamichi cassettedeck with a
>midi amplifier :-)

Uh.. yeah something like that LOL, anyway, it's up to you... some
improvement in graphics and maybe a little speed now, or wait for a
full upgrade...

>That's alright, I know the good shops in town. And you can ask
>questions, and they won't treat you like you are stupid. My
>motherboard is called Echelon. Oh, wait, THAT kind of name! Er... AMD
>Athlon 2000+ is not what you mean? What about "Albatron KX600 Pro
>Socket-A DDR400 AGP8x"? I have no idea what that means :-) Otherwise,
>tell me where to look.

Can't say I've ever heard of Albatron... but looks like they're
Taiwanese, so that's probably ok. KX600 is probably the chipset. I
need the model number :-)

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/pro_list.asp#3
--

"About family.... don't try it with vampires.
It's a pain in the neck! Get it!? Neck!?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:43:35 GMT, "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Though there is one thing GP mentioned I should correct at this moment
>(beside my own type of "maybe" which really should be "may be"). The
>graphic card's memory is mainly used to store texture maps. So if you are
>playing adventure games and the like, you wouldn't have to worry too much
>about it, unless the game is heavily depended on real-time 3D rendering
>(which most of the adventure game aren't). Most of the graphics card are
>equipped with sufficient minimum memory for its speed (i.e., you won't find
>current day graphic cards equiped with 32mb of ram).

In other words, like I said, video memory is nonsense :-P
--

"About family.... don't try it with vampires.
It's a pain in the neck! Get it!? Neck!?
Bwahahaha.... Bleh! BLEH! :-D"
September 20, 2005 3:28:45 PM

>Hehe... it does *look* an awful lot better... Sims 2 is very odd in
>that sense. Video power is used solely for eyecandy while CPU power
>determines game smoothness (unless you've set graphics too high, then
>CPU has to handle those subroutines), and memory ultimately determines
>how much you can load. Too little memory and you'll also lag your

If this is the case then can you please explain this to me:

2 computers, one Athlon 64 3700+, 4GB memory, the other Athlon 64
3000+, 1 GB memory. Nvidia Geforce 6800 video card 128MB. HD's and
motherboards are identical on both systems. Both run Windows XP pro.
I run the Sims 2 and University on both machines. I can't see any
difference between them, the game runs just as smooth on both
machines. Why isn't it smoother on the 3700+? I don't understand it
but I'm not good with software:-)

>Can't say I've ever heard of Albatron... but looks like they're
>Taiwanese, so that's probably ok. KX600 is probably the chipset. I
>need the model number :-)

It's probably this one:
http://www.amdboard.com/albatron_kx600_pro.html the chipset is VIA
KT600. Usually rather good mainboards but they're hard to get.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:33:04 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:28:45 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>2 computers, one Athlon 64 3700+, 4GB memory, the other Athlon 64
>3000+, 1 GB memory. Nvidia Geforce 6800 video card 128MB. HD's and
>motherboards are identical on both systems. Both run Windows XP pro.
>I run the Sims 2 and University on both machines. I can't see any
>difference between them, the game runs just as smooth on both
>machines. Why isn't it smoother on the 3700+? I don't understand it
>but I'm not good with software:-)

Both have 6800's? Are the settings identical?
--

"About family.... don't try it with vampires.
It's a pain in the neck! Get it!? Neck!?
Bwahahaha.... Bleh! BLEH! :-D"
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:45:57 PM

Strider wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> That's alright, I know the good shops in town. And you can ask
>> questions, and they won't treat you like you are stupid. My
>> motherboard is called Echelon. Oh, wait, THAT kind of name! Er...
>> AMD
>> Athlon 2000+ is not what you mean? What about "Albatron KX600 Pro
>> Socket-A DDR400 AGP8x"? I have no idea what that means :-)
>> Otherwise, tell me where to look.
> What it means is that your motherboard will support any AMD Socket A
> CPU there is. The bad news is that the socket A platform is almost
> dead. If you can get an Athlon XP 2800 cheap, that's the one to go
> for. You may also be able to get a Sempron CPU, but it's not going
> be that much of an improvement.

Okay. I'm not planning on a new motherboard now. I'll go on with this
system for another couple of years and then make a big jump.

> With a system like that I wouldn't spend much money on a video card,
> would just have bought a cheap Nvidia AGP 6200 card, but that's
> me:-)

Well, that might be an option. You think it would make a difference?

T.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:46:53 PM

Jeremy Reaban wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>>> I just bought a nvidia 6600 GT, which I'm not sure I'm happy with
>>> yet.
>> And why is that?
> Well, I'm not sure yet. I got Nightlife just the day before I got
> the new video card, so I'm not sure how much of an improvement there
> is.
> At any rate, I thought I would be able to run the game great -
> instead it's merely "eh".

Hm. Goes with the theory that Sims is more on CPU than video.

T.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:49:32 PM

Ashikaga wrote:

> "Taemon" wrote...
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>> BTW, I don't remember which web site I visited, it says The Sims 2
>>> is a CPU-intensive game, but less of a graphical one. So if your
>>> aim is for good performance for The Sims 2, then CPU upgrade is a
>>> priority.
>> Okay, that changes perspective.
> I was obliged to oblique the perspective. :-D

Yeah, you do just that :-)

>> Thanks to you both! I knew I could safely ask here for good advice.
> Yeah, I suppose.... Though with you saying a programmer wouldn't
> know
> hardware really want me to chase after you with a cream pie, and
> splut you on your face. :-D

You go ahead and take the plane with your cream pie, nerd boy! By the
time you get here you will have made tens of billions of flies very
happy! :-)

> Though there is one thing GP mentioned I should correct at this
> moment
> (beside my own type of "maybe" which really should be "may be").
> The
> graphic card's memory is mainly used to store texture maps. So if
> you are playing adventure games and the like, you wouldn't have to
> worry too much about it, unless the game is heavily depended on
> real-time 3D rendering (which most of the adventure game aren't).
> Most of the graphics card are equipped with sufficient minimum
> memory
> for its speed (i.e., you won't find current day graphic cards
> equiped
> with 32mb of ram).

Video memory no big deal. My love will be delighted to hear that since
I didn't want to believe it :-)

T.
September 20, 2005 5:27:27 PM

>> be that much of an improvement.
>
>Okay. I'm not planning on a new motherboard now. I'll go on with this
>system for another couple of years and then make a big jump.
>
>> With a system like that I wouldn't spend much money on a video card,
>> would just have bought a cheap Nvidia AGP 6200 card, but that's
>> me:-)
>
>Well, that might be an option. You think it would make a difference?

Well, yes but if you're looking for "great", no. If it's true that CPU
is more important to the game than the video card I don't think a new
card will make an enormous difference anyway. The game will look
better but it won't run faster or smoother so the big question is
whether an upgrade is worth the money.
September 20, 2005 5:31:27 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:33:04 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:28:45 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>2 computers, one Athlon 64 3700+, 4GB memory, the other Athlon 64
>>3000+, 1 GB memory. Nvidia Geforce 6800 video card 128MB. HD's and
>>motherboards are identical on both systems. Both run Windows XP pro.
>>I run the Sims 2 and University on both machines. I can't see any
>>difference between them, the game runs just as smooth on both
>>machines. Why isn't it smoother on the 3700+? I don't understand it
>>but I'm not good with software:-)
>
>Both have 6800's? Are the settings identical?

yes, they are, I ve tried different settings but kept them identical
on both machines, even the monitor is the same.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:20:31 PM

"Taemon" wrote...
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>> Okay, that changes perspective.
>> I was obliged to oblique the perspective. :-D
>
> Yeah, you do just that :-)

Thank you very much.

>>> Thanks to you both! I knew I could safely ask here for good advice.
>> Yeah, I suppose.... Though with you saying a programmer wouldn't know
>> hardware really want me to chase after you with a cream pie, and
>> splut you on your face. :-D
>
> You go ahead and take the plane with your cream pie, nerd boy! By the time
> you get here you will have made tens of billions of flies very happy! :-)

Maybe I'll buy a pie at your local bakery.... Ah ha! You didn't think of
that, did you?

And I am rather cute as a nerd boy. :-p

>> Though there is one thing GP mentioned I should correct at this moment
>> (beside my own type of "maybe" which really should be "may be"). The
>> graphic card's memory is mainly used to store texture maps. So if
>> you are playing adventure games and the like, you wouldn't have to
>> worry too much about it, unless the game is heavily depended on
>> real-time 3D rendering (which most of the adventure game aren't). Most of
>> the graphics card are equipped with sufficient minimum memory
>> for its speed (i.e., you won't find current day graphic cards equiped
>> with 32mb of ram).
>
> Video memory no big deal. My love will be delighted to hear that since I
> didn't want to believe it :-)

It does give eye candies..., but it won't add speed.

Ashikaga
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:20:19 AM

Strider wrote:

> Well, yes but if you're looking for "great", no. If it's true that
> CPU
> is more important to the game than the video card I don't think a
> new
> card will make an enormous difference anyway. The game will look
> better but it won't run faster or smoother so the big question is
> whether an upgrade is worth the money.

Hm. Damn. Now I'm confuse :-( Thanks, though ;-)

T.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:51:20 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:57:26 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
> wrote:
>> Thought so. Although I am quite happy with my machine's
>> performance.
>> The only thing I'd really want to improve is the speed of the game;
>> on a large lot, with lots of sims, the game lags.
> Unless you've set your graphical settings too high, a new videocard
> won't improve the speed :-(

Grmbl.

>> Of course, I hear all this stories about "I've got a new videocard
>> and it all looks so much better!" I'm beginning to realise that the
>> same possibility probably holds for my system :-)
> Hehe... it does *look* an awful lot better... Sims 2 is very odd in
> that sense. Video power is used solely for eyecandy while CPU power
> determines game smoothness

Well... eyecandy is certainly important. I already thought it was
pretty good, but the prospect of having it much better still is
certainly enticing. But I'd like it to be smoother too, and be able to
invite more sims for parties (without the cheat). But upgrading my
system like that would basically mean a whole new system and I don't
want that yet.

> (unless you've set graphics too high, then
> CPU has to handle those subroutines), and memory ultimately
> determines
> how much you can load. Too little memory and you'll also lag your
> game. I think in your case you could do with an upgrade of both CPU
> and Video.

Memory. Wait, I'm going to consult my love...

<tring>
</tring>

Okay. Well, I don't know if that is still possible. The system is over
3 1/2 years old now. I could ask with the retailer. How much do you
think it'll cost?

>> Okay. But remember, the original plan was to only upgrade the
>> videocard, and in a few years switch to a whole new system. But if
>> am to upgrade the CPU too, what does that mean for the investment
>> in
>> a videocard? Should it be top of grade, or should I be more modest
>> for now and go for a PCI in the long run?
> Videocards basically have the shortest life. If you upgrade now,
> you'll have to upgrade video again in two years because it will be
> slowing you down :-(

Well, I plan to switch to a bigger system in about two years, so that
wouldn't be so bad.

> I'd go for a cheap card now. Most bang for the buck. The X700 Pro is
> really cheap now (100 euro) and can offer serious eyecandy, but no
> matter what you buy it probably wont speed up your game. At half
> that
> price you could buy a 9600 PRO, which would be well paired to your
> system.

Noted.

>> Wait wait wait... I'm a programmer. I don't know anything about
>> hardware :-) CPU... that's in the motherboard, isn't it? Does that
>> mean buying a new motherboard? And I don't think I'd go into the
>> overclocking business. I won't take risks with hardware after two
>> previous fried motherboards :-)
> Everything is pretty much in the motherboard hehe, except for drives
> and powersupply. What kind of programming do you do? Sounds like we
> have enough tech geeks in here to start a business LOL

Two silly internal programming languages. I work for a market research
institute but the commercialism of it is making my sick and I'm
angling at a government job. I love programming but unfortunately I
don't master any real languages.

> Can't say I've ever heard of Albatron... but looks like they're
> Taiwanese, so that's probably ok. KX600 is probably the chipset. I
> need the model number :-)

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification....
is the one, I think. I hope that's enough for you, because I can't
find more :-)

T.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:57:22 AM

Ashikaga wrote:

> "Taemon" wrote...
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>> Yeah, I suppose.... Though with you saying a programmer wouldn't
>>> know hardware really want me to chase after you with a cream pie,
>>> and splut you on your face. :-D
>> You go ahead and take the plane with your cream pie, nerd boy! By
>> the time you get here you will have made tens of billions of flies
>> very happy! :-)
> Maybe I'll buy a pie at your local bakery.... Ah ha! You didn't
> think of that, did you?

Hm, no, I didn't. I think it's time for my holiday to California!

> And I am rather cute as a nerd boy. :-p

Of course you are :-)

>> Video memory no big deal. My love will be delighted to hear that
>> since I didn't want to believe it :-)
> It does give eye candies..., but it won't add speed.

Well. Eye candy it's going to be, then.

T.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:29:35 AM

"Taemon" wrote...
> Ashikaga wrote:
>>> You go ahead and take the plane with your cream pie, nerd boy! By
>>> the time you get here you will have made tens of billions of flies
>>> very happy! :-)
>> Maybe I'll buy a pie at your local bakery.... Ah ha! You didn't
>> think of that, did you?
>
> Hm, no, I didn't. I think it's time for my holiday to California!

Then you'd better love a California pie.... I think Dutch apple pie might
taste better though, but it's your call.

>> And I am rather cute as a nerd boy. :-p
>
> Of course you are :-)
>
>>> Video memory no big deal. My love will be delighted to hear that
>>> since I didn't want to believe it :-)
>> It does give eye candies..., but it won't add speed.
>
> Well. Eye candy it's going to be, then.

Why would you need a new video card when I AM the ultimate eye candy? ;-)

Ashikaga (self-declared feast of eyes)
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:27:22 PM

Ashikaga wrote:

> "Taemon" wrote...
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>> Maybe I'll buy a pie at your local bakery.... Ah ha! You didn't
>>> think of that, did you?
>> Hm, no, I didn't. I think it's time for my holiday to California!
> Then you'd better love a California pie.... I think Dutch apple pie
> might taste better though, but it's your call.

The idea is that you go on a plane to the Netherlands, and I go on a
plane to California. Thereby I'll be safe from you and your pies, AND
we can wave halfway!

>>> It does give eye candies..., but it won't add speed.
>> Well. Eye candy it's going to be, then.
> Why would you need a new video card when I AM the ultimate eye
> candy?
> ;-)

Because YOU are not on my computer! Wait. You ARE on my computer.
Guardian, forget what I said. I don't need a new video card after all
:-)

T.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:29:59 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:51:20 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>Well... eyecandy is certainly important. I already thought it was
>pretty good, but the prospect of having it much better still is
>certainly enticing. But I'd like it to be smoother too, and be able to

What detail do you run at?

>Okay. Well, I don't know if that is still possible. The system is over
>3 1/2 years old now. I could ask with the retailer. How much do you
>think it'll cost?

Most retailers don't carry components that old... and the cost of
having them do it would probably be exponentially higher, so I
wouldn't bother :-(

I swapped out my old 1700+ for a 2400+ Tbred which is the most that
those old mobos can take, and overclocked it to 2400Mhz, a massive
overclock at that time, and it's actually faster than my 3200+ lol
(which is actually a 2500+)

>Two silly internal programming languages. I work for a market research

How internal are we talking? SAP? Cobal?

>http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification....
>is the one, I think. I hope that's enough for you, because I can't
>find more :-)

That's tons better than I had deared hope for. You can still upgrade
your CPU. Unfortunately they don't list the newest processor cores,
but the fact that it can run Bartons means it may be possible to find
a webshop that still sells a late-make Barton 3200+ which can also be
heavily overclocked. I would DEFINATELY look into that if I were you.
Might save you that system upgrade for another couple of years.
--

"About family.... don't try it with vampires.
It's a pain in the neck! Get it!? Neck!?
Bwahahaha.... Bleh! BLEH! :-D"
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:22:41 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:51:20 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
> wrote:
>> Well... eyecandy is certainly important. I already thought it was
>> pretty good, but the prospect of having it much better still is
>> certainly enticing.
> What detail do you run at?

Highest, on all fronts.

>> Two silly internal programming languages. I work for a market
>> research
> How internal are we talking? SAP? Cobal?

Internaller :-) They are called Odin and Diana. They were developed
by the company itself.

>> http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification....
>> is the one, I think. I hope that's enough for you, because I can't
>> find more :-)
> That's tons better than I had deared hope for. You can still upgrade
> your CPU. Unfortunately they don't list the newest processor cores,
> but the fact that it can run Bartons means it may be possible to
> find
> a webshop that still sells a late-make Barton 3200+ which can also
> be
> heavily overclocked. I would DEFINATELY look into that if I were
> you.
> Might save you that system upgrade for another couple of years.

Great! Thank you! I'll write down everything you and the others have
told me and go to the store soon. Thanks again, all of you!

T.
!