Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on a HDMI video card for 50 in 1080i LCD.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2009 11:54:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I am trying to connect my 1080i 50 inch LCD-tv to PC via 25 feet HDMI cable. I have the cable but I need the HDMI video card. I intend to play internet content, blue-ray, other video extensions files on the PC and watch on my TV and occasionally on the PC with 20in LCD.

The PC will be located very near to the TV so I will need the graphics card to be as quiet as possible. I also have a limited budget; however I don’t mind paying for better card for quality.

If you have a similar setup and/or would like to share the card you are using, I would greatly appreciate that.

Thank you in advance.

Jay
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2009 12:57:34 PM

If you are not planning on any intense 3d gaming, then you actually have some very cost effective solutions:
ATI 4350, Built in HDMI port, fanless (silent) and will fulfill all your video needs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 34.99 and free shipping.

Just remember, that once you have the drivers installed, you will need to tell your computer through the control panel to route the sound through the card's HDMI. It has a sound card built in, just needs to be pointed to it in the settings.
m
l
October 31, 2009 1:20:11 PM

JofaMang said:
ATI 4350, Built in HDMI port, fanless (silent) and will fulfill all your video needs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102817 34.99 and free shipping

Thank you JofaMang for the answer. I was looking at the newegg review and it appears that half of the folks had problems with overheating. Then I started to think that I would probably do some rendering from 3d studio max/CAD/Photoshop. . . . , perhaps even some 3d gaming

Do you have any other cards in mind for that task too?

Thank you again JofaMang.

-Jay
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2009 6:40:37 PM

If you're gonna be doing gaming and rendering of all things you're going to need a beefy card. I'd recommend an ATi HD 5750+ or an NVidia GTS 250+. Either are gonna run you at or over $110. With the extra power I don't believe you're gonna be able to get passively cooled.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
October 31, 2009 6:49:00 PM

@ Juno1: Passive cards need some airflow, so case choice is importaint if you take that route or, like others, you'll find the card overheating.
The 9600 linked by Jaguarskx is a good compromise: It's fast enough for light/medium gaming and passively cooled therefore silent.
A common solution to the overheating/noise problem is to buy a case fan and speed controller and to attach it to the card using cable ties. Several companies make them and they are fairly inexpensive.
m
l
November 2, 2009 2:35:11 PM

jaguarskx said:
How about a passively cooled Asus 9600GT?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you jaguarskx, that looks like a good card, I like that it’s silent, unfortunately my tv does not have a dvi input, only HDMI. And I am guessing HDMI will be the future standard. So instead of running the audio separately I was hoping to get the audio and video all in one.

Thank’s again jaguarskx

-Jay
m
l
November 2, 2009 3:11:00 PM

brockh said:
If you're gonna be doing gaming and rendering of all things you're going to need a beefy card. I'd recommend an ATi HD 5750+ or an NVidia GTS 250+. Either are gonna run you at or over $110. With the extra power I don't believe you're gonna be able to get passively cooled.

Hi Brockh

I get confused about the search on newegg. I have an option under “TV-Out: HDTV”. What is that? Because I also have an option between HDMI and HDMI via adaptor. Isn’t HDMI output HD ready?

Thank you,

-Jay
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 6:33:49 PM

juno1 said:
Hi Brockh

I get confused about the search on newegg. I have an option under “TV-Out: HDTV”. What is that? Because I also have an option between HDMI and HDMI via adaptor. Isn’t HDMI output HD ready?

Thank you,

-Jay

That'd be an HDMI connection on the back of the card which will allow you to either connect it to an HD monitor or TV. So HDMI output would mean HD ready, yes.
m
l
November 17, 2009 4:31:50 AM

just one query related to the same issue.
I want to connect 46 lcd tv with my pc ...... pc has a 19'' monitor and I am looking for a card ...
is it possible to have a dual display on the TV as well as monitor. which card should I buy
m
l
November 17, 2009 10:58:02 AM

juno1 said:
via 25 feet HDMI cable...
The PC will be located very near to the TV so I will need the graphics card to be as quiet as possible.

I'm puzzled, why a 25' cable run if it's 'very near'? With that length you could move them apart so card fan noise would be less troubling.
m
l
December 1, 2009 6:01:19 PM

rootazoid said:
I'm puzzled, why a 25' cable run if it's 'very near'? With that length you could move them apart so card fan noise would be less troubling.

TV is on one side of the room, PC is on the other side of the room ;) 
m
l
December 1, 2009 6:11:09 PM

berbatov said:
just one query related to the same issue.
I want to connect 46 lcd tv with my pc ...... pc has a 19'' monitor and I am looking for a card ...
is it possible to have a dual display on the TV as well as monitor. which card should I buy

Hi Berbatov,

Ironically, I am trying to do exactly what you are trying to do. I was able to achieve what you described with the XFX Radeon HD 5770 graphic card. I have the HDMI to TV and DVI to LCD monitor + 3.5mm speakers.

The only problem that I have is that I have to unplug the PC speakers for the TV sound (via HDMI) to work, otherwise the sound only goes to the PC speakers.

Perhaps one can adjust the settings in the PC to be able to distribute the sound accordingly.

-Jay

P.S. I have a 50” TV with 5” LCD
m
l
a b x TV
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 2:04:02 PM

Juno1

Audio on ATI video cards goes to Primary Display. I have 2x4890 CF connected to 70inch HDTV and 24 Inch LCD display. Both are link through HDMI cable.

Connect both through HDMI and you will get audio by re-assigning your primary display. It's possible to get audio on any of the display (One at a time).

Get a DVI-HDMI converter from ATI to get the audio on the DVI port.
m
l
December 3, 2009 5:27:36 AM

I can't find the DVI-HDMI converter on the AMD website. How much is the DVI-HDMI converter?

Thank you,

-j
m
l
a b x TV
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 12:49:21 PM

Call the vendor of your card. Ask for it and the vendor will send the DVI-HDMI converter.

My XOC 4890 came with 1 converter. I called Diamondmm and asked for another. They sent me one. I got my second XOC4890 (which came with 1) i called Diamondmm again and they sent me another 1.

Call the vendor(i.e xfx, diamondmm,Asus...etc) the name should be on the box of your card.
m
l
a b x TV
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 12:52:47 PM

juno1

You don't need to buy it. The board who build your card (i.e. xfx, diamondmm, sapphire...etc) should provide it to you for free.

You can even state directly that for unknown reason your card didn't have one.

Its part of what you paid for. Demand it from the board maker.
m
l
a b x TV
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 1:01:42 PM

Juno1

This setup is confirmed to work...

1 4890 with 2 Display both link by HDMI. One Display is 24 Inc LCD(w/Audio) and the 2nd Display is (70 Inch HDTV).

Both DVI connectors are fitted with DVI-HDMI converter. Both Converters are from ATI provided by Diamondmm.

One card will do the job. The Audio comes out on the primary display. If you want the audio on your HDTV assign it as primary display. It works vice versa.

When i crossfire no change was done on the connection. I just added the 2nd card.

m
l
December 14, 2009 7:21:18 PM

leon2006 said:
You don't need to buy it. The board who build your card , should provide it to you for free........Its part of what you paid for. Demand it from the board maker.

Here is a link to the card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JobNojPQtE

I dont think it came with with my card, do you think i can still demand it for free?

Thank you,

-Jay
m
l
a b x TV
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 8:10:26 PM

juno1

Yes. Just tell them you purchase your board and the DVI-HDMI converter is missing. It will be shipped to you for free.

I have 2 4890 and Diamondmm sent me the converter twice.

m
l
January 6, 2010 7:15:55 PM

leon2006 said:
juno1

Yes. Just tell them you purchase your board and the DVI-HDMI converter is missing. It will be shipped to you for free.

I have 2 4890 and Diamondmm sent me the converter twice.

Thanks Leon, I contacted them and their where very nice about it. I should get one via usps.

Thank you again
m
l
!