Sign in with
Your question

What is a good ratio?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2012 6:08:46 AM

Hi im new to overclocking and I was wondering if there is a certain ratio between the fsb and multiplier for best performance

I have i5 2500k, biostar tz68k+ right now

ive tried overclocking up to 4.3 with 43&100.2 and 40&107 and tested with prime 95 and they both work fine

More about : good ratio

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2012 8:23:14 AM

From what I know, which isn't much, you would want a high FSB instead of high multiplier. That would make the whole computer go faster not just the CPU. Just don't get a higher FSB than the RAM can handle.
I'm also new to overclocking so I could be wrong
m
l
February 12, 2012 2:29:31 PM

OCing the FSB means you're also OCing not just the CPU, RAM, and GPU, but also Northbridge chip, SATA, PCI-E, USB, onboard ethernet port, onboard audio and etc.

In short, it will OC anything on the motherboard other than the power supply. Considering the fact that many components on the motherboard aren't designed to be OCed, nevertheless need to be OCed (OC'ed audio, lol?), OCing the FSB should be avoided unless if absolutely necessary.
m
l
Related resources
a c 233 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 12, 2012 3:25:44 PM

You do NOT want to overclock the BCLK in a Sandy Bridge system. As said above, it overclocks the whole motherboard and can damage components.

Older first generation i5 an i7 systems ( LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 ) were overclocked via the BCLK but Sandy Bridge is via the multiplier only. BCLK should stay as close to 100 as possible.

If you go back to LGA775 they had a front side bus or FSB that was raised to overclock the chip.
m
l
a c 229 à CPUs
a c 163 K Overclocking
February 12, 2012 4:18:14 PM

The BCLK ratio thing doesn't apply to Sandy Bridge. Though you certainly can squeeze from 2 - 5% extra (some report as much as 10) by tweaking it a lil bit.

As I recall the BioStar MoBos dont have the sophisticated BIOS as the Asus MoBos do, bit these OC guides should guide you along.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264397-29-asus-mother...
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
February 12, 2012 5:24:20 PM

jamesoh0 said:
Hi im new to overclocking and I was wondering if there is a certain ratio between the fsb and multiplier for best performance

I have i5 2500k, biostar tz68k+ right now

ive tried overclocking up to 4.3 with 43&100.2 and 40&107 and tested with prime 95 and they both work fine

Hi jamesoh0

You do not have to raise the FSB (Base Clock or BCLK = 100mhz) with the 2500K all you need is to raise the multiplier and manually supply the proper Vcore (CPU voltage to stabilize the raised multiplier).

The first step to overclocking is to educate yourself, "Learn First then do!".

Since you are new to overclocking the next step is the cooling solution you are running I see no mention of that, a stock cooling solution will only get you so far and that is not far at all.

With my cooling solution overkill yes! but I have been able to reach 5100mhz with my 2500K rock solid and never once increased my base clock above 100mhz, so wherever you got the idea you needed to increase your BCLK, forget it, who ever is advising you to do that doesn't know what the heck they're talking about.

A good high performance air cooler will give you around the 4500mhz 45x range of 24/7 stability somewhere in the vicinity of 1.325v Vcore, a better high performance air cooler may get you as high as 4700mhz, but there's no guarantees to that.

Hardware capabilities, overclocking knowledge, CPU cooling, Case cooling or good case airflow, are all contributing factors to a successful overclock, the overclocking guides here at THGF are trustworthy guides but they're not necessarily what you would call newbie guides.

JackNayorPE has listed some guides that may be the best starting ground to gain the knowledge you need, best overclocking luck to your endeavors. Ryan

m
l
!