I7 930 budget board?

Hi, here's my situation! I'm wanting to get new mb/cpu/ram. I want to get a

i7 930 for $280 from newegg.
6gb ram for around $180 though not sure which
also a mother board under or around $130

so far http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131625 this is what ive selected, mostly because of brand loyalty as ive only ever gotten Asus boards and I saw the usb 3.09(not important but a plus). I really dont know much about Mobo's which is why im here asking for advice! I dont plan on overclocking at all and im gonna run 1 ati4850 card.

now for my powersupply i currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182045 Will this be enough to run my new system? If not id be looking in the $50-$70 range for psu's.

Overall im looking to get this system for $600 total and $650ish if i need a new psu.

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated!
11 answers Last reply
More about budget board
  1. The motherboard you have selected is not compatible with an i7 930. An i7 930 requires a 1366 socket and the motherboard you selected is 1156 which is for i5 750/ i7 860. 1366 boards are more expensive and it is not possible to get one for the price you have said. The cheapest board available is a Foxconn FlammingBlade GTI for $145:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186170&cm_re=x58-_-13-186-170-_-Product

Yes the power supply will be able to run your system.

Now this being said, I am wondering why you are going for a i7 930 when you are only using a 4850. i7 930s are very high end and are not required often.
    Do you have any special needs for this processor?
    If not then you should really be looking at a much cheaper processor such as something from AMD like a Phenom or Athlon II.
  2. ah, 1366 socket! you've saved me a lot of trouble. I feel silly, Thank you! :pt1cable:

As for my uses... I may be completely misguided here.. as I'm really only going off of a small hunch of sorts. Mainly I like to stream games to Justin.tv. Right now to stream in the higher resolution/quality that I want, really caps out my current processor(amd9750). So I was under the assumption that my CPU is my major bottleneck. Mostly I'd be streaming Starcraft 2 for my friends otherwise some older games. Nothing new and fancy such as mass effect2 on all HQ settings. =p

I probably dont need the I7 930 for now but maybe a couple months down the road when im not so cash strapped I can afford to throw in a new GPU as well. So thats my train of thought, please correct me if wrong! =)

Thanks for your help so far!
  3. I would get one of these CAS 7 6GB RAM kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=g.skill+ddr3+6gb+cas+7&x=0&y=0

Gigabyte and Asus both make excellent motherboards. I would actually get this Gigabyte board since it's a very high-quality board with SATA 6Gb/s & USB 3.0 support.

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $209.99

If you're stuck on getting an Asus board then this is the cheapest X58 Asus board on Newegg.

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $204.99 - $20 MIR

It seems like an LGA 1156 system might serve you better, though. If you're open to that possibility then I'll post some suggestions.
  4. No the i7 930 is not required for anything normal. It is needed for professional 3D rendering, for someone doing a lot of video encoding and editing, also for someone using 2 high end graphics cards such as 5870s but more for people using 3.

"shortstuff_mt" your suggesting a 1156 build but I would say that a AM3 Phenom II build would be better. Correct me is I'm wrong.
  5. the ASUS P6X58D-E recently came out...almost the same as the P6X58D-Premium but with only one lan controller, a modified heat pipe configuration, and no on board reset button.
  6. If you have an AM2+ mobo already, wait until about 26th April and buy a six-core AMD Thuban chip. Make sure the board will take it though via your current mobo's website. Should just be a BIOS update, although it may not accept a 125W chip.
  7. i'd suggest a core i5 for ur needs... the core i7 930 would be a overkill for ur needs...
  8. I totally agree with doive1231... I'd wait and get a Thuban, and spend the money that you'd be spending on a 1366 mobo, new ram, and heatsink on either adding or upgrading your gpu and ram... Building a 1366 is very expensive, so save yourself some money...
  9. Yous are suggesting him to but a six core even though he has not specified what he is using his system for, I fail to see the point of forking out the money for a 6 core if hes just gaming. I'd say a Phenom II X4 would be more than suffiecient.
  10. Wolygon said:
    Yous are suggesting him to but a six core even though he has not specified what he is using his system for, I fail to see the point of forking out the money for a 6 core if hes just gaming. I'd say a Phenom II X4 would be more than suffiecient.

pretty rite !! a big no no for thubans, core i7s... i guess a core i5 or a phenom as already suggested would do just fine...
  11. hey if you can get to a Microcenter, they are selling i7 930's for around 200 bucks :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM Intel i7 Product