Sign in with
Your question

Can i use a ide hard drive to a sata motherboard

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:57:31 PM

Hello,
can I use my ide hard drive on a sata mother board by using an adapter? and do I need any software to keep my original files and games?

Lewie
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 5:19:47 PM

I'm not keen on IDE-SATA adapters. They seem to be hit or miss, especially when used on a boot drive. If this is an OS drive and you plan on transplanting this into a new system, then it most likely won't boot. A clean install of the OS is recommended when moving to a new system. Just back up all your data and game saves, install the OS and software/games onto the new system, then restore your backup and game saves.
m
l
September 13, 2013 11:25:58 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I'm not keen on IDE-SATA adapters. They seem to be hit or miss, especially when used on a boot drive. If this is an OS drive and you plan on transplanting this into a new system, then it most likely won't boot. A clean install of the OS is recommended when moving to a new system. Just back up all your data and game saves, install the OS and software/games onto the new system, then restore your backup and game saves.

What about if it isn't the boot drive and just for storage? I have a 120gb ssd boot drive and a 250gb sata hdd, the hdd is filling up and I have an old 400gb 7200rpm IDE drive. Can I use it with an adapter? What if I played newer games with it, would gameplay be affected or only loading times?
m
l
!