sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Alright guys I have another stupid question :). I recently changed my PSU because my computer was turning of all the time. It's been 6 days since I installed the new one and I had no problems till today (it use to turn off within 30 min before the PSU upgrade). It has randomly shut off a few times today, after the 2nd time I took off the side cover and left it off and was surprised when it didn't shut off after a few hours of having it off so I figured whatever caused it to shut off might be fixed so I put the cover back on and about 1 minute later it shuts off!! With my limited computer knowledge I kinda figured something was overheating so I went into my bios and took off SMART Fan and now my fan is running pretty loud but it's been keeping everything running without any random shut-offs. So I figure it's the CPU that was overheating since it's the CPU fan and my question is if it's ok to leave the smart fan feature off? I don't know if it's ok that the fan be running that fast all the time, I mean besides it being annoying is it ok that the fan be at around 4600rpm all the time or can this be dangerous or bad for my computer? It's been 8 hours and the computer hasn't turned off with this smart fan feature off and I plan on buying a new CPU fan in a couple weeks so once again I appreciate the help

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If you find the solution for your problem, Why you want go back to the problem?

I always run my CPU fan at 3200rmp, and isn't a problem. Your PC turn off himself 'cause the CPU temperature is too high.

sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Thank you, Well it's cause the way I got it to stop turning off is by turning off smart fan in my bios and I don't know if that's a good idea or not. It comes with the SMART fan feature on by default so I just wanted to know if it's a good idea to shut that off because I don't know what that might cause. I know it's purpose is to adjust the fan speed according to the CPU temp but it obviously wasn't doing a very good job if the computer was shutting off because of overheating. Now that the SMART feature is off the fan is just running pretty much full speed ALL of the time. It's been at 4655rpm all day. Being a Newbie I don't know if that's ok or not? Will my fan last very long if it's always running at that speed? and is there any damage that can be caused by it running that fast at all times, to my CPU or anything else?

Running at full speed is not the solution as this will shorten the life of the fan.

Have you tried removing the heatsink, clean off any deposits, remove thermal paste off chip and heatsink and reapply a small amount about the size of a grain of rice.

sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I've been trying to that but I can't find it? I coulnd't find anything in my bios that would let me manually set the speed of the fan only thing I see for CPU is a thing called CPU Spectrum and to be honest I don't know exactly what that is either? It's set on by default and when I turn it off my cpu runs cooler.

sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I'm going to try that right now thanks for the advice

sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Yes I have a similar menu like that but it only shows CPU Smart Fan and I have the option to enable or disable. I disabled it and my Fan is really loud and it stays like that I can't find any option on how to adjust it down just a little bit

esuckq

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The only problem with runing your fan fast all the time is that it will wear it out eventually, however you said you are getting a new CPU fan soon, so don't worry about it and just let it run fast for now.

It might be worth downloading something like Hardware Monitor so you can keep a check on your temps and fan speeds. It also sounds like you could do with some more case fans...

sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Ya I'm thinking about getting a new fan but I'm still not sure if this will fix the problem :( because the fan works, I turn off smart fan and the fan runs loud and keeps the computer from overheating but as soon as I turn on smart fan to have the fan adjust as its supposed to my computer turns off. I don't understand what could be the problem I'm not completely convinced the fan is the problem. Even when Smart fan is on and the fan isn't running full speed it's still running but for some reason it's not running enough to keep the computer from overheating I don't know if this could be the computer that's failing to adjust the fan speed or if it's really just the fan that for some reason isn't keeping the computer from overheating. This is just giving me a headache and it sucks to have to turn on my TV louder just so I can hear it over the computer!! :(

sancho26

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I've had it installed on my computer for a while and I monitor the temperatures but have yet to find a way to change the fan speed. I tried changing the value of percentage for fan 1 but nothing adjusts it stays loud I just assumed it's not compatible with my motherboard or fan. Weird thing is though that even when smart fan feature is on and the fan is not running full speed all the temps look fine nothing is overheating except for my GPU running a little hot but it does that even when fan is running fullspeed. My computer just shuts off even though on Speedfan all the temps look ok but for some reason with the Smart fan feature off and fan running full speed the computer wont shut off even though the temp numbers are barely any better. I just can't understand how running the fan faster keeps the computer on with all the temp numbers being almost the same. Like I said before my GPU is the only thing that runs a little hot around 65C when I turn the computer on and gets up to 78C after being on for a while. I'm not a gamer so the computer is never used for anytype of gaming just normal web use. I have a Nvidia GT 120 1GB Graphics Card. I bought a new $200 Graphics card (can't remember model) to see if It was the graphics card overheating and the temp of that card when I started the computer was a lot cooler It was around 36C and got up to around 46C but the computer would turn off the same as it does now with the Smart fan feature on so I just returned the card as I don't need a $200 card especially if I'm not a gamer and it's not solving the problem.