Sign in with
Your question

Signs of bad chipset

Last response: in Motherboards
April 14, 2010 12:36:06 PM

Hello,
I have an Emachine about 3 years old. One day it froze up and my hard drive light was on. On...not blinking. I waited a while then shut it down. When I went to reboot, it goes to the start up screen where it says Emachine and there is a menu for start up and bios. I cannot get into either of them and it will not boot to a disk. ????? what is this??

More about : signs bad chipset

a c 435 V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 6:36:52 PM

Ever clean your fans? I would do that first. You can also clean and apply some new thermal paste to the cpu heatsink only. I use a single drop of paste after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or acetate (fingernail polish remover). Something in your system has probably overheated.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 6:43:06 PM

you can't even get into BIOS? What happens when you try to get into the BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 8:01:48 PM

Nothing happens, I hit F2 or whatever it is and the screen does not change, the hard drive does not think, nothing. Even when I put in the start up CD it doesn't even get far enough for it to start reading the cd...
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:06:19 PM

o1die said:
Ever clean your fans? I would do that first. You can also clean and apply some new thermal paste to the cpu heatsink only. I use a single drop of paste after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or acetate (fingernail polish remover). Something in your system has probably overheated.

Thank you for your response. Yes I have cleaned the fans periodically. If something is overheated, would putting the paste on now be like beating a dead horse. And wouldn't it take longer than 30 seconds for something to overheat when booting up cold? Thanks again.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 8:24:41 PM

Yes it would take more than a couple seconds generally, unless the CPU fan is completely dead, but yeah- should still take more than a couple second.
Also- are you sure you are hitting the correct button to get into BIOS? Normally it is the Delete key. Have you tried resetting your CMOS through the jumper, or removing the system battery?
m
l
!