Some final questions before starting to build

Jesper800

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Hi all,

As have received almost all of my PC parts (except for the video card), I have almost come to the stage where I will actually start building the PC. However, I do have a few things I want to know before I actually start building:
- Is thermal paste required for the CPU?
- Will the i7 920 stock thermal paste suffice?
- At what stage in the build should I install the video card?
- Is it enough to touch the radiator before starting the build regarding static electricity?
- If I would overclock later on (which would probably mean the stock cooler for the CPU wouldn't suffice), would it be hard to add/replace the thermal paste?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Regards,

Jesper

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Yes
If you're not overclocking, yes
It doesn't matter too much, just look for connectors that might be protruded by the video card once you do put it in, and connect those up first
- Is it enough to touch the radiator before starting the build regarding static electricity?
Probably, provided you do it often enough
- If I would overclock later on (which would probably mean the stock cooler for the CPU wouldn't suffice), would it be hard to add/replace the thermal paste?
Nope

Yes, thermal interface material is there to remove microscopic pockets of air/whatever so that there is an adequate transferal of heat.

It's actually a thermal wax pad that comes pre-applied to the stock heatsink, and yes it works fine.

That might depend on your case and such, but usually after the CPU and cooler, the RAM, and the MB power connections have been made.

No. You need to take other precautions, especially in cold dry weather. Don't wear wool or nylon. Don't work on a carpet. Touch a ground frequently during the build.

Hard is a relative term. The stock TIM will clean off using alcohol. Using paste is easy enough but often done incorrectly. Only a very tiny amount is needed and applying too much will caise problems.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
its easier to install the cpu heatsink ram befor you install the mother board
might want to google putting on heatsink for an i7 build video make sure its installed good right take your time install the video card last