How to overclock an AMD Athlon II X3 445 CPU

Hello. Can i overclock an AMD Athlon II X3 445 CPU on a Biostar N68S3+?
9 answers Last reply
More about overclock athlon
  1. yes.. you can.
  2. Quaddro, you should have given him a little more than that...

Lazar_99, I use a Biostar TA990FXE and if our settings are anywhere close to the same here's what I suggest:
    You should go into your computers bios and go to the overclock section (might have a different name) but the symbol is a speedometer, you'll know it when you see it. And once there, what I do is I set my CPU overclock to "Auto" on "V12", but I suggest you start off on "V6" and progress your way up to "V12", once you do that you want to go back to the general settings area and calibrate your CPU fan so that its a lot higher to keep your temps low, I have never had a stability issue using my bios's autoclock and I don't think you should either.
    Hope this helps and I would like to hear your results!
  3. Rjwaters147 said:
    Quaddro, you should have given him a little more than that...

Lazar_99, I use a Biostar TA990FXE and if our settings are anywhere close to the same here's what I suggest:
    You should go into your computers bios and go to the overclock section (might have a different name) but the symbol is a speedometer, you'll know it when you see it. And once there, what I do is I set my CPU overclock to "Auto" on "V12", but I suggest you start off on "V6" and progress your way up to "V12", once you do that you want to go back to the general settings area and calibrate your CPU fan so that its a lot higher to keep your temps low, I have never had a stability issue using my bios's autoclock and I don't think you should either.
    Hope this helps and I would like to hear your results!

I'm afraid i don't have those option. all i have is
    Cpu Frequency :200mhz
    MCP PCI Express:100mhz
    CPU Voltage: default
    Chipset voltage: default
    Ht voltage: default

:pt1cable:
  4. Ahh, I do see that now I was a bit naive in assuming our bios has the same features.
    This will probably be quite a bit more time consuming, but if you really want to do it here you go:
    In that menu on your bios your going to increase your cpu frequency by 10-15mhz at a time, and then load your computer up and run a stress/stability test to see if you have a stable overclock. Repeat these steps until you are at a unstable overclock or your temperatures are too high for your liking(I never let my CPU go over 50c, even though that max is around 65c) then you do one of two things: either bump up your cpu voltage by a tiny amount to make the overclock stable (DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE IF YOUR TEMPERATURES ARE HIGH, it will only make them higher) or the other thing you can do is back off on your cpu frequency about 20-25mhz and test stability again.

If you don't know how to stress/stability test here is a good start: http://mytechencounters.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/how-to-stress-test-your-cpu/

Also a CPU overclock necessity is CPU-Z from here: http://cpu-z.en.softonic.com/

And to monitor your temperatures Aida64 is great: http://aida64_extreme.en.softonic.com/

Lets see how this works, feel free to ask any questions. :)
  5. Also if you cannot change your CPU frequency at all, I don't think your board supports overclocking and I suggest you do a slight upgrade. But Biostar in my opinion is a great small tech. company and supports overclocking on majority of their boards.
  6. Rjwaters147 said:
    Quaddro, you should have given him a little more than that...

:D
    hehehehe..
    a simple question should be answer with the simple one..:D

okay..
    athlon series known rather hard to touch 4ghz.
    so i think maybe you'll be around 3.6-3.8 ghz.

since it's locked multiplier, your option only to raise cpu frequency in order to get higher clock.

first of all, before you start your quest of overclocking, please buy an after market cooler..
    the best after market cooler that you can afford, for miminal recommendation, cm 212+

start with it.

CPU Frequency: 245
    MCP PCI Express:100mhz
    CPU Voltage: 1.475v (maximum safe voltage)
    Chipset voltage: default
    Ht voltage: default
    CPU-NB Frequency:1600Hz
    HT Speed/frequency:1600Hz
    Memory Speed:1333 (if you use DDR3 1600) or 10600 (if you use DDR3 1333)

okay, then try to reboot your machine.
    if it can work try to stress your cpu with stability test software

if it got bsod, decrease your cpu frequency by 5 hertz, until it got no bsod when it stressing. at lease with prime95 blend 1 hours.

but if it can pass the stressing stage, try to increase your cpu frequency 5 hertz more, test it with prime again . do it all over again till you get some errors. that's your cpu limit (in the 1.475v voltage) .
    if you've got bsod, just decrease the cpu frequency 5mhz lower. that's your optimal clock for your processor.
  7. Just a little add to that, I have my stock cooler on mine at the moment (although I do plan on getting a new aftermarket one soon) and I have an Anthlon ii x4 630 @ 3.4ghz running at 40c full load, so an aftermarket cooler is not a necessity for lower overclocks. Which if your just starting to overclock I suggest you stay in the lower range.
  8. Rjwaters147 said:
    Also if you cannot change your CPU frequency at all, I don't think your board supports overclocking and I suggest you do a slight upgrade. But Biostar in my opinion is a great small tech. company and supports overclocking on majority of their boards.

It doesn't even support core unlocking... Should have bought an AMD Phenom X4 940 CPU
  9. Rjwaters147 said:
    Ahh, I do see that now I was a bit naive in assuming our bios has the same features.
    This will probably be quite a bit more time consuming, but if you really want to do it here you go:
    In that menu on your bios your going to increase your cpu frequency by 10-15mhz at a time, and then load your computer up and run a stress/stability test to see if you have a stable overclock. Repeat these steps until you are at a unstable overclock or your temperatures are too high for your liking(I never let my CPU go over 50c, even though that max is around 65c) then you do one of two things: either bump up your cpu voltage by a tiny amount to make the overclock stable (DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE IF YOUR TEMPERATURES ARE HIGH, it will only make them higher) or the other thing you can do is back off on your cpu frequency about 20-25mhz and test stability again.

If you don't know how to stress/stability test here is a good start: http://mytechencounters.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/how-to-stress-test-your-cpu/

Also a CPU overclock necessity is CPU-Z from here: http://cpu-z.en.softonic.com/

And to monitor your temperatures Aida64 is great: http://aida64_extreme.en.softonic.com/

Lets see how this works, feel free to ask any questions. :)

I have set the CPU Frequency from 200 to 215 like you suggested and its stable (no BSOD or anything like that). Stock clock was 3100MHz but now its 3340 MHz and i can feel the difference. Its actually a lot faster than before but i haven't tried pushing it a little further considering i have a stock cooler :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Biostar AMD