sdinnell

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Is it possible, and if so how, to set up a RAID 1/0 with 4 (750gb) HDD's and have a 5th HDD (2TB) to back up those 4 with a 6th SSD to hold the windows 7 OS? This will be a new system build and I haven't been able to find anything relating to what I am planning to do.

it is possible to do that; however, you might have to add another controller if the mother board does not have enough connections.

you will have to enable RAID in the BIOS, but it is hard to give you any more advice since you do not have the motherboard yet.

I would connect the SSD on port0 and the 2TB on port1.

sdinnell

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

-Well my mobo is an Asus z68 deluxe. it has 4 sata 3 and 4 sata 2 ports. Just completely unsure how to set it up so that my OS boots off of the SSD and every thing else partitioned on the RAID with the 2TB backing up the RAID array, I want the 4 smaller HDD's to be in a RAID 0 config with the 2TB backing all of them up. Is this do-able or am I out in WTF land?

sdinnell

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

-Well my mobo is an Asus z68 deluxe. it has 4 sata 3 and 4 sata 2 ports. Just completely unsure how to set it up so that my OS boots off of the SSD and every thing else partitioned on the RAID with the 2TB backing up the RAID array, I want the 4 smaller HDD's to be in a RAID 0 config with the 2TB backing all of them up. Is this do-able or am I out in WTF land?