Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I overclock or not???

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 12, 2012 9:47:14 PM

I have a BioStar H61mh Mini-ATX in my rig with an i5 2500k. In the CMOS I have options to OC, like a multiplier and stuff but I can never get them to work and I also read that that H61 chip does not support OCing. So can I do it or not and if not why do I have the option to? Thank you.

More about : overclock

a c 199 V Motherboard
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 12, 2012 10:41:32 PM

You can not overclock with an H61. You need P67 or Z68. There are no options to overclock in the BIOS only information from your chip. That's why you can't change the values.
m
0
l
February 12, 2012 11:22:17 PM

anort3 said:
You can not overclock with an H61. You need P67 or Z68. There are no options to overclock in the BIOS only information from your chip. That's why you can't change the values.

I can change the values that's what confuses me.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 3:35:08 AM

nityking1 said:
I have a BioStar H61mh Mini-ATX in my rig with an i5 2500k. In the CMOS I have options to OC, like a multiplier and stuff but I can never get them to work and I also read that that H61 chip does not support OCing. So can I do it or not and if not why do I have the option to? Thank you.



You just said you cannot get them to work. H61 or H67 does not support overclocking. Buy a MOBO with a chipset P67 or Z68 LGA 1155 socket. A lot of them in the market different brands different prices.
m
0
l
a c 199 V Motherboard
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 5:32:49 AM

nityking1 said:
I can change the values that's what confuses me.



Yeah but you can't save those changes so it's not really making changes is it?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 10:45:40 AM

nityking1 said:
I have a BioStar H61mh Mini-ATX in my rig with an i5 2500k. In the CMOS I have options to OC, like a multiplier and stuff but I can never get them to work and I also read that that H61 chip does not support OCing. So can I do it or not and if not why do I have the option to? Thank you.



So you are using Biostar Board H61mh Mini-ATX. Is that a prebuilt PC you bought? You can change the Motherboard to Biostar TZ68A+RCH Z68 chipset Socket LGA 1155, it supports crossfireX, virtu lucid and Intel SRT(ssd caching). This motherboard allows you to overclock up 5.3 GHZ depends on your aftermarket CPU cooler. Mine is Biostar TZ68A+RCH, i5 2500K, CM hyper 212 plus CPU cooler, G-skill Ripjaws 16 GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM. I only overclocked it to 4.7 GHZ with a vCore of 1.375V. I made the adjustment in the BIOS.
m
0
l
February 13, 2012 6:19:14 PM

aqe040466 said:
So you are using Biostar Board H61mh Mini-ATX. Is that a prebuilt PC you bought? You can change the Motherboard to Biostar TZ68A+RCH Z68 chipset Socket LGA 1155, it supports crossfireX, virtu lucid and Intel SRT(ssd caching). This motherboard allows you to overclock up 5.3 GHZ depends on your aftermarket CPU cooler. Mine is Biostar TZ68A+RCH, i5 2500K, CM hyper 212 plus CPU cooler, G-skill Ripjaws 16 GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM. I only overclocked it to 4.7 GHZ with a vCore of 1.375V. I made the adjustment in the BIOS.

Yeh, It was a pre-built from Cyberpower. I replaced the GPU with a 560ti, added all the fans I could fit, A soundcard, and A hyper 212 Heatsink. I am planning on buying a new Mobo just wasn't sure if I could OC on this one or not because it gives me the options to.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 7:04:47 PM

nityking1 said:
Yeh, It was a pre-built from Cyberpower. I replaced the GPU with a 560ti, added all the fans I could fit, A soundcard, and A hyper 212 Heatsink. I am planning on buying a new Mobo just wasn't sure if I could OC on this one or not because it gives me the options to.



No. You cannot overclock the CPU because your board with a chipset h61 does not support overclocking like I said before buy a board with a Z68 chipset LGA 1155 socket. BTW how much is your budget for a new motherboard?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 7:09:58 PM

nityking1 said:
I'm thinking about buying this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My birthday was today and I got some money, lol


Yeah this motherboard is great for overclocking the CPU and it supports tripple SLI and CrossfireX meaning you can put 3 identical video cards. As you can see it got 3 PCIe slots. What are you waiting for? buy it its pretty bargain for that price in Newegg. BTW Happy B-day!
m
0
l
a c 199 V Motherboard
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 8:07:10 PM

The Gigabyte board will allow you to overclock. Don't forget that changing motherboards means reinstalling Windows.

The board does NOT allow for triple Sli/Crossfire. It allows 1 card at x16 or dual cards at x8 - x8. The 3rd slot shares bandwidth with the second slot and if you are running SLI/Crossfire at x8 - x8 the 3rd slot is limited to x1. You would use the 3rd slot for a Physx card when running a single GPU and the slot would run at x4.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/07/1...
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 1:04:03 AM

aqe040466 said:
Yeah this motherboard is great for overclocking the CPU and it supports tripple SLI and CrossfireX meaning you can put 3 identical video cards. As you can see it got 3 PCIe slots. What are you waiting for? buy it its pretty bargain for that price in Newegg. BTW Happy B-day!

Thanks man. I am going to buy this board, made up my mind.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 1:21:01 AM

aqe040466 said:
Yeah this motherboard is great for overclocking the CPU and it supports tripple SLI and CrossfireX meaning you can put 3 identical video cards. As you can see it got 3 PCIe slots. What are you waiting for? buy it its pretty bargain for that price in Newegg. BTW Happy B-day!


you can not triple sli or crossfire with that board. look how close the second and third pci slots are.

i really dont think that board is a good deal. it doesnt have pcie3, only 2 sata 6gb/s ports, 6 combined usb ports(2 usb3), and it wouldnt be a great overclocker.

nityking1 said:
Thanks man. I am going to buy this board, made up my mind.


hey man its hard to grasp when your younger but you get what you pay for and if you can up your price to about 175 dollars you could get a better board that would allow you to get to atleast 4.8 if your chip could handle it. There are better boards then that one even at or below 140.

it looks like you've just choosen a cheap one of a name brand.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 1:35:54 AM

nityking1 said:
Thanks man. I am going to buy this board, made up my mind.



Don't forget to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler if you want to overclock the CPU.
m
0
l
a c 199 V Motherboard
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 3:15:05 AM

There is nothing wrong with the board. Read the bit-tech review, it is what it is. A pretty good budget Z68 board. It got their test i5 2500K to 5Ghz just fine.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 3:41:38 AM

anort3 said:
There is nothing wrong with the board. Read the bit-tech review, it is what it is. A pretty good budget Z68 board. It got their test i5 2500K to 5Ghz just fine.


not very many chips can make it to 5.0 and beyond and you cant argue that his chance are higher of getting to 5.0 or higher with a better board.

your right, that board is a good budget board but not a great board in general.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 12:28:38 AM

cbrunnem said:
you can not triple sli or crossfire with that board. look how close the second and third pci slots are.

i really dont think that board is a good deal. it doesnt have pcie3, only 2 sata 6gb/s ports, 6 combined usb ports(2 usb3), and it wouldnt be a great overclocker.



hey man its hard to grasp when your younger but you get what you pay for and if you can up your price to about 175 dollars you could get a better board that would allow you to get to atleast 4.8 if your chip could handle it. There are better boards then that one even at or below 140.

it looks like you've just choosen a cheap one of a name brand.


Umm, what do you mean its hard to grasp when I'm younger? I understand that, lol!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 12:35:23 AM

most dont
m
0
l
!