Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I Need USB 3.0?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 14, 2010 4:39:50 PM

I'm upgrading my PC to one of the new intel chipsets, so I'm going to need a new motherboard. I found one that has everything that I want at right around 100 bucks. The only possible issue I see is that it only has USB 2.0. What I'm wondering is whether I should look for a motherboard with 3.0 or if I'll be okay for another 2-3 years while USB 2.0 starts getting phased out. I just don't want to look back a year from now and regret not spending an extra 40 bucks for a motherboard with 3.0 or regret having spent extra money for something I don't even use.

More about : usb

April 14, 2010 4:56:11 PM

well you can always purchase an addon card later on if you get a mobo with just USB 2.0. I think that the majority of usb devices currently don't use the full bandwidth of 2.0 - with exception of usb harddrives. But if you mainly just have your keyboard and mouse and webcam set up.. usb 2 is fine... but adding in an external harddrive you should see inprovement (as long as the controller on the external is usb 3.0)
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 5:31:29 PM

Really, you don't NEED USB3.0 it might be nice if you are planning on using external hard drives a lot, but most devices outside of HDD don't even use the full USB2 bandwidth. Also- if you decide you DO need it down the road, just get an add-on card- no reason to spend a bunch more now for something you're not sure you'll use before you upgrade again.
Related resources
a c 208 V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 6:35:37 PM

Having it on board saves you the loss of a slot when you want to add a USB 3 device later on.
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:00:05 PM

I guess it really isn't worth it. I didn't think about what I'd actually use it for. I don't really use an external HDD, so I'm not sure I would gain a ton by having it anyway. I'll prolly just pass on it for now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 10:35:07 PM

probably not a bad choice. Good luck picking the right board!
m
l
April 15, 2010 9:41:34 AM

I would say no, as there is nothing that usb2 couldn't do. I hope that intels LightPeak will give good competition to all this usb thingy :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2010 3:51:42 PM

Thats not totally true Linaaslt- USB 2.0 is a severe bottleneck on external storage. Other than killing your transfer speeds with external hard drives though, theres not much USB 2.0 couldn't do:-)
m
l
April 18, 2010 7:12:56 PM

Which Intel chipset are you looking at? THG did an article about how previous generation Intel chipsets do NOT support full USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps bandwidths. If your looking at a LGA 1366, then you're good but others might not support USB 3.0 without limiting bandwith on external cards. However, some mobo manufacturers (for instance ASUS) have begun to add extra controllers chips that give the chipsets full bandwidth. Cheers.
m
l
April 27, 2010 10:23:35 PM

Best answer selected by thebignasty.
m
l
!