Sign in with
Your question

2 NICs 1 Comp

Last response: in Networking
November 8, 2009 4:23:45 PM

I would like to put two network cards in my computer as well as two network cards in my file server. The reason I would like to do this is because I want to have one of the cards in each computer connected to my router via a network cable for internet traffic and I want to run a crossover cable between the other two NIC's so I can have all file traffic routed between the other two. How could I do this?

More about : nics comp

November 8, 2009 8:45:34 PM

Unless you have a slow router (100 Mbps), I wouldn't bother, but if you really want to do it (I presume that you'll use Gigabit NICs), you need to use a different network for the new NICs.

Assuming that your network is 192.168.0.0/24 (you didn't provide info about your current network, e.g., static IP or DHCP, etc.), use IP address 192.168.2.1 mask 255.255.255.0 on the server and IP address 192.168.2.2 mask 255.255.255.0 on the PC. If the new NIC is faster, then that might be all that you'll need to do. If it doesn't work or both NICs are the same speed, then increase the metric on the Internet NICs.
m
l
November 8, 2009 10:03:50 PM

I have hooked up my 2 rigs as described in my post and everything works but I am getting slow speeds transferring files between the 2 comps (around 10 megs/second). I have gigabit NICs with a CAT6 crossover cable connecting them. Any advice on getting a bump in speed?
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2009 10:28:07 PM

How fast are you hard disks and what interface is it going through (check the number of bytes sent and received)? Are the NICs configured for half or full duplex?
m
l
November 8, 2009 10:49:43 PM

The drives that I am transferring data between are SATA II's, single drives (no raid).
All of the NIC's speed are set for Auto-negotiate.
m
l
November 8, 2009 11:01:51 PM

Set your new NICs to Full-Duplex and make sure that local traffic goes through them.
m
l
November 8, 2009 11:12:24 PM

OK, I have the Full-Duplex taken care of but what is the name of the setting for the local traffic feature and what do I set it to?
m
l
November 8, 2009 11:31:50 PM

Transfer a large file and check on what NIC traffic increases significantly. Your question is not clear to me. There is no setting for local traffic. There are settings to force traffic to a specific NIC by changing the default route, adding an entry to LMHosts, etc. What you're trying to do isn't always as easy as it sounds if you're not familiar with networks.
m
l
!