alienboy527

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I had two eVGA 9800 GTXs running in SLI, but my computer recently stopped working. After taking it to a shop, they told me that one of my graphics card's was busted. The card is out of warranty and I can't get a replacement. Should I pay another $120 for another card or just wait until the price on a newer card decreases?

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Don't EVGA cards have a lifetime warranty? Well if you have to buy a new card I suggest XFX. They have a double lifetime warranty on their cards if you register within 30 days.

First make certain it is out of warranty: Terms and conditions vary by country but EVGA do, indeed have a lifetime warranty in the USA and Canada.
Depending on what killed the card this may work:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792.

Depending on your system (specs, please), it may be better to get another 9800GTX and stick with SLI. But it may also be better to consider switching to a new, single card such as the HD5850 and offsetting the cost by E-baying the surviving 9800.
Without full specs and budget we really cannot give more than speculative advice.

alienboy527

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I checked and my card only had a one year warranty (as I bought it in a system builder). And here are my computer specs:

INTEL QUAD CORE Q6600
C2D ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA SLI 780i motherboard
XION 800WATT SUPERNOVA QUAD SLI PSU
2G DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY
500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM
SLI EVGA 9800 GTXs (one dead now of course)
Windows Vista 32 bit

alienboy527

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
And originally, I took the computer to the shop thinking that my PSU was broken, but after trying a new PSU, the computer still didn't turn on. Then he switched the order of the graphics cards and the computer turned on. After trying to run it with only the card that he thought was broken, he deduced that the graphics card was the original problem, because the computer didn't turn on.

@ Alienboy527: Take a very close look at the card, sometimes this can be caused by a blown capacitor, which can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of a new card.
Look for any signs of bulging or even splitting, the capacitors should be smooth cylinders with flat tops.
As for replacement: If money is tight (as usual :( ) then a replacement 9800 is the best option. If you can, though I'd say getting a HD5850 and selling the surviving 9800 would be the best option, particularly with so many DX11 games on the near horizon.