Where should the PROGRAMS folder be located in winxp?

syfisher

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
:hello: Running winxp pro, my boot time is around 4 minutes. I've tried many things, including removing all unnecessary services and startup programs. I just noticed that I have a PROGRAMS folder in 4 different locations: (1) C:\Documents & Settings\Administrator\Start Menu; (2) ...\All Users\Start Menu; and (3)...\Seymour Fisher\Start Menu.

The Administrator start menu\PROGRAMS contains 4 short cuts (Outlook Express, IE, Desktop.ini, & Remote Assistance) + 2 folders (Accessories & an empty Startup).

The All Users start menu\PROGRAMS contains all the 56 objects listed in my tray Start\All Programs.

The Seymour Fisher start menu\PROGRAMS contain 26 short cuts to various files & folders plus its own PROGRAMS folder containing 6 folders (Accessories, Administrative Tools, a Heatsoft synchronizer that I use, an empty Startup, uplayer, and WeatherBug plus an IE short cut and a desktop.ini.

Are all these Programs folders necessaary to run winxp? Is this contributing to my s..l..o..w.. boot time? I'd very much appreciate your advice. TIA

syfisher

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

Thx for the explanation. At least I can rule FOLDERS out in my search to decrease boot time; I'll go back to see if I can stop some more services and try autoruns. Thx again.

syfisher

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

Once my PC is booted and I'm finally connected to the internet, the machine purrs beautifully, with almost instantaneous responses. I'll go back and check my add-ons, toolbars, & system tray doohikies.

Thx for taking the time to post.