Where should PROGRAMS folders be located in winxp?

syfisher

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Running winxp pro, my boot time is around 4 minutes. I've tried many things, including removing all unnecessary services and startup programs. I just noticed that I have a PROGRAMS folder in 4 different locations: (1) C:\Documents & Settings\Administrator\Start Menu; (2) ...\All Users\Start Menu; and (3)...\Seymour Fisher\Start Menu.

The Administrator start menu\PROGRAMS contains 4 short cuts (Outlook Express, IE, Desktop.ini, & Remote Assistance) + 2 folders (Accessories & an empty Startup).

The All Users start menu\PROGRAMS contains all the 56 objects listed in my tray Start\All Programs.

The Seymour Fisher start menu\PROGRAMS contain 26 short cuts to various files & folders plus its own PROGRAMS folder containing 6 folders (Accessories, Administrative Tools, a Heatsoft synchronizer that I use, an empty Startup, uplayer, and WeatherBug plus an IE short cut and a desktop.ini.

Are all these Programs folders necessaary to run winxp? Is this contributing to my s..l..o..w.. boot time? I'd very much appreciate your advice. TIA

syfisher

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

Thx for your reply. My Startup folder is empty now, so what else could be causing a 4-minute boot?

Go from Start to Run and type msconfig into the open box then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick everything except your firewall and AV programme. Click Apply and OK then after the restart, tick "Don't show this message again and OK your way out. Time the next resyart and see if it improves.