Q6600 Quick OC Question

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I have my Q6600 at 3.0 right now. I would like the auto downclock enabled and it seems as if it is. It starts at 2.0ghz when I first boot up and will stay there for a long time but once it clocks up to 3.0 it doesnt seem to return to 2.0. I have a p5k SE mobo.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. It is at 1.3125 vCore.

***Update***
After some searching I realized my CPU usage was at 80% making the 3.0Ghz speed make sense. Took a while to find the culprit but it was Skype. I didnt have a call going or anything. A quick end process tree and restarting skype I'm at 2.0 and 10 Degrees cooler.

Still if anyone knows why this happened or has an idea please let me know.

***Another Update***
Problem is persisting and closing skype is no longer fixing it

Solution

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

If you are using Skype I would uninstall it, reboot then reinstall it. Otherwise just leave it uninstalled.

It may have got corrupted when you made that change for your CPU in BIOS.

Solution
Hi, Chris.

When your CPU switches between 2.0 and 3.0 GHz, you are seeing SpeedStep (TM) in action. Intel Core2 CPU's downclock to an X6 multiplier while running under a light load. When the CPU load increases, it automatically jumps to full speed.

The fault is not with Skype. Apparently, Skype running in the background presents enough of a load to force the CPU to run at full speed.

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I know what is causing it, the only problem is that only only happens once or twice a day. Skype usually doesnt require the full 9 x 333 bur from time to time it is taking it up to the full clock speed

To be able to have the Best Answer available to you you have to start the Thread as a Question Thread instead of a Discussion thread, or get a moderator to change it for you.

I changed the thread to a Question Thread for you and selected the Best Answer you were indicating, if that was not the action you wanted, you can still change the Best Answer if you want. Ryan