What's the big deal about microcenter

Budman17r

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
There is a new microcenter being built by me. Should I wait to buy my computer parts (primarily intel processor based until that store opens?

Appreciate the information!

Solution
They usually run very good prices on 1 or 2 processors (i5's are $159, i7 920's are $199), sometimes a handful of motherboards as well, though if you were to price out a full system build from microcenter vs. newegg, newegg almost always wins due to no tax and free shipping on many items. Some people split the difference and buy the CPU from microcenter locally, and then order just about everything else on Newegg. It saves maybe $20-$30 for some configurations.

Otherwise, there's the simple convenience of being able to get replacements for any DOA parts right away, or if something breaks within the return period, you can get it replaced with no delays.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
They usually run very good prices on 1 or 2 processors (i5's are $159, i7 920's are $199), sometimes a handful of motherboards as well, though if you were to price out a full system build from microcenter vs. newegg, newegg almost always wins due to no tax and free shipping on many items. Some people split the difference and buy the CPU from microcenter locally, and then order just about everything else on Newegg. It saves maybe $20-$30 for some configurations.

Otherwise, there's the simple convenience of being able to get replacements for any DOA parts right away, or if something breaks within the return period, you can get it replaced with no delays.

Solution

j1888

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Yes you should wait. The big deal is an i5-3570k for only $169.99. And even without their current promotion, it's still a deal when the price is $189.99 (their normal selling price for the i5-3570k).