Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is SSD alright for basic video editing?

Last response: in Storage
September 5, 2011 4:42:10 PM

So, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have pretty much decided for the Vaio-S series. Now I was trying to decide between the 128gb SSD, or the 256gb HDD. I have read all of the pro's and con's and the SSD seemed to be the better option; however, it seems that advanced video editing is not a good choice for SSD. I don't need advanced tools, just basic files to audio with some transitions would be fine.

Would that be alright for SSD? Also, I have a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro I don't plan on using all of it's features but will that be okay for SSD? Lastly, I have heard that the maker of the SSD matters, so is the stock S-series SSD fine? Should I get the cheaper HDD and upgrade it to an SSD?

More about : ssd alright basic video editing

Best solution

September 6, 2011 4:59:03 PM

gators901 said:
So, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have pretty much decided for the Vaio-S series. Now I was trying to decide between the 128gb SSD, or the 256gb HDD. I have read all of the pro's and con's and the SSD seemed to be the better option; however, it seems that advanced video editing is not a good choice for SSD. I don't need advanced tools, just basic files to audio with some transitions would be fine.

Would that be alright for SSD? Also, I have a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro I don't plan on using all of it's features but will that be okay for SSD? Lastly, I have heard that the maker of the SSD matters, so is the stock S-series SSD fine? Should I get the cheaper HDD and upgrade it to an SSD?

I'm sure you would like the performance of an SSD for video editing, but I'm also sure you would run out of space VERY fast. I would stick with a standard hard drive and get the biggest capacity one you can buy that still has decent RPM (7200 better, 5400 if you must).

For example, say your source media is HDV - that's 27 Mb/s. That translates to:
3.4 MB for one second
202 MB for one minute
12.2 GB for one hour

For editing, you don't want to use a long-GOP format for any intermediate rendering, since it's too lossy. Instead, you want an I-frame format like Avid's DNxHD. The mid-range bit rate for that is 145 Mb/s. That translates to:
18.1 MB per second
1.1 GB per minute
65.3 GB per hour

I'm always running out of space on my Avid Media Composer laptop with 200 GB spinning disk, plus I use an external 100 GB disk. I would love to have a TB drive in there! I'd go for the capacity instead of performance. If you really want SSD performance, then get the biggest SSD you can afford, even if it's not the fastest SSD.
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 5:20:08 PM

bluescreen said:
If you really want SSD performance, then get the biggest SSD you can afford, even if it's not the fastest SSD.

There isn't that much variation in SSD performance, I believe. Just stick with a reliable brand, if that's what you're doing.
m
l
September 7, 2011 1:00:35 AM

Best answer selected by gators901.
m
l
!