Strange out of date drivers according to Driver Detective

G-Z

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Hi,

I let the driver updater software Driver Detective scan my system which is a Dell XPS m1330 notebook with Windows 7 installed. According to Driver Detective, 4 of my drivers are out of date:

1. Intel ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
2. Intel ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E
3. Intel ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage controller - 2828
4. Mobile Intel PM956/GM956/GL960/GS965 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01

Unfortunately to automatically download these drivers through the Driver Detective Software I would need to register it which means to pay for it.
I tried to find the drivers with Google unsuccessfully and went to the Intel Support Page and installed the update tools they provide for my chip-set (Intel INF Update Utility etc.) but still Driver Detective says that these drivers are out of date.

Now I would like to ask you where I could find these drivers?

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice. If you need some more information please let me know.

thanks!

sincerely yours, G-Z

P.S.: I wasn't sure in which category and sub-category to put this thread. I hope I've chosen the right ones otherwise I would like to apologize and ask the responsible admin to move it to a different location.

Solution
Not every Intel INF Update includes all hardwares inf driver.

So you can download earlier INF installer softwares from Intel web site.

When you run Intel INF update that will not install everything automatically from that package, but you can install everything like this:
infinst_autol.exe -overall

For details watch this:
infinst_autol.exe -?

If you run all the inf installers from earlier version to the latest with -overall command you will finally get the latest drivers on your computer. (not everything, but the most)

I still haven't find the latest Intel ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E driver

If you find the way to intall the latest for this driver, please post the information here.
Thanks.

P.s.:Using latest drivers is...

If they are available for your laptop, Dell will provide them, check the support site.
Advice; get rid of Driver Detective.

G-Z

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
hi delluser1,

first of all thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately Dell doesn't provide that many windows 7drivers for the m1330 because the machine actually came preloaded with vista, is quite outdated and was replaced by newer models.

Do I understand you correctly that you question the accuracy of the results given by Driver Detective? Did you have bad experiences with this Software? Do you perhaps have a better alternative software which would do the job better?

thanks, G-Z

From what I've seen most Vista drivers will work in place of Win7 drivers.
Just don't like software programs, other than Windows update, telling me what drivers I may or may not need.

G-Z

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
It depends. In my experience a new driver can improve the PC's performance though the old one ran fine in the sense that it was stable and made no problems.

If these drivers really are outdated then perhaps I will get performance improvements with an update.

I don't know how much of a perfomance increase you might get from updating these ;
1. Intel ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
2. Intel ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E
3. Intel ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage controller - 2828
4. Mobile Intel PM956/GM956/GL960/GS965 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01
but it's your call

Steve_69

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I have Driver Detective and UniBlue driver scanners; I think I only paid for UniBlue (which is up for renewal soon and I'm debating to drop it). Driver detective always seems to find more "out of date" drivers, but whether true or not, they have a disclaimer that chip set drivers may not show up as being up-to-date even when they've been installed and working properly. The only big problem I've had was updating my HP printer driver and it didn't install properly and I went back and ran the disc and it now works properly and seems to have some different aspects in the way it displays the print preview, but one of my HP photo programs now says that it detects no HP equipment though the main one works fine ...thus far. Don't know if the update deleted that one or having a problem installing it throuh DD, hence having to go to the HP site to install it did something screwy to keep the Digital Imaging Monitor not functional now!?!

Sounds like DellUser would get rid of the UniBlue also!

coolidge

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Not every Intel INF Update includes all hardwares inf driver.

So you can download earlier INF installer softwares from Intel web site.

When you run Intel INF update that will not install everything automatically from that package, but you can install everything like this:
infinst_autol.exe -overall

For details watch this:
infinst_autol.exe -?

If you run all the inf installers from earlier version to the latest with -overall command you will finally get the latest drivers on your computer. (not everything, but the most)

I still haven't find the latest Intel ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E driver

If you find the way to intall the latest for this driver, please post the information here.
Thanks.

P.s.:Using latest drivers is better for performance, so search and install them.

Solution

G-Z

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
thanks a lot coolidge ... this is real great tip ... I tried it out and it worked very well.

with your method I successfully updated:

Intel ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
and
Intel ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E
and
Intel ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage controller - 2828

now I only have one driver left that is out-dated according to driver detective:

namely: Mobile Intel PM956/GM956/GL960/GS965 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01

On the Intel site I found 2 versions of the ininst_autol.exe, a newer and an older one. I ran both with -overall.

do you (or anyone) have any idea how I could find this last driver?

anyway: thank you!