Battlefiled 3 on GT 520

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello guys, i had downloaded BF 3 on my desk and tried to play on my 810 MHz GT 520 card.

At certain points , the game run smooth but in 80% of time, it lags and has low FPS rate.

Saw this, i thought overclocking may help my game run smoother. So i gone to read some docs about, and i saw risk involved

with excessive heating of GPU... When i bought my card, has a CD with a software called EXPERTool, wich allow overclocking.

But i didn't jump to overclock cuz i have just fan cooling (running at 40% in idle state) and 250W PSU.

And I'm asking: Does overclocking process require more voltage , wich my PSU can't offer? Or it auto-adjusting if overclocked?

It does take more power, but you don't necessarily need to increase the voltage until you push the core speed too high.

You can probably get away with a little overclock. Maybe 850mhz, I don't know. Maybe higher.

Basically just bump the mhz up by 20, then run a test like FurMark. If it artifacts or crashes, it's unstable and needs to be reduced.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I never really recommend increasing volts on a graphic card, most cards can overclock and see solid improvement without more voltage. Plus with that card I'd imagine you can only run BF3 on low to medium settings?

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah... everything on low... Even with FurMark , no anti-aliasing and lowest resolution i get the sadly 20 fps.. I overclocked shader clock like 80 Mhz + but no improvement. My temp gone up by 1 -2 degrees only, but i still not overclocked the processor.
By the way is not clear what is shader clock.. I know what is GPU or memory but shader clock 0.o

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Have you thought about upgrading your GPU? BF3 can be a beast and tax even the high end GPU's. The shader clock is something Nvidia uses, so I'm not exactly sure I've always used AMD/ATI cards

Vatafaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
There was times when I was mad in overclocking my old 8400GS.
One thing I got for sure - no matter how much you overclock it, it still will be low-end card, of course you can oc it for fun, like I did.
About shader clock, I bumped it from 1,4GHz to 2,1GHz and it didn't improve performance at all, so it's something in the fog, that I guess is not interesting at all.

Hello.
If you want to play BF3 smoothly, I am afraid that you have to upgrade both your gpu and your psu.
There might be a chance that 7750 that is coming tomorrow, to use only 55watt (rumors). It will be decent enough to run BF3 on medium settings without requiring a psu upgrade.
So if you want to play BF3 on better (medium to high) eyecandy, you have to wait a bit for the cheapest (lets hope on this...) solution.

Edit: On this article you will see that gt520 is not enough for smooth play even on low settings.
GT520 is 3 tiers up from 8500GT
nvidia%20low%201680.png

article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063.html

rakin13

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
No way the gt 520 would be able to handle BF3. Its probably a good idea to upgrade your gpu to a powerful one. Seeing that the HD 7750 requires only 55w tdp, you should just wait for it, see if it is true. I think the HD 7750 would be able to run BF3 medium details, on reasonable resolution. You didn't give your processor specification or monitor resolution. It could help a bit. And i have no idea about shader clocks cause i only used ati cards, so no comment on that.

GF1xx gpu types differ from old architectures on shader clocks. While G80 til GT200 gpus have seperated shader clock (you could adjust the core hz and the shader hz differently) the Fermi type GF1xx have their artchitecture sync the core hz with shader hz. Its 1:2, in other words the GT520 is 810:1620. So you need to o/c both at the same % in order to o/c. Some o/c software tools like afterburner, have this option linked.

Also justdlnow, when you o/c a gpu/cpu you are consuming more watts so 250watt psu might not be the ideal one :p.
As I stated before just wait 1-2 days and see what HD7750 can offer.

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I'm including also PC specs as someone claim would be helpful:

2.6 Ghz AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+

Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Motherboard Foxconn

4 GB of RAM

Anyway, I'm thinking i leave BF3 for my card and playing other low-requirements games like Counter Strike..
I'll wait for that 7750 from ATI, sounds interesting..

EDIT: Oh and i forgot to mention: On canyourrunit on "Minimum" tab i pass everything except CPU witch look weird, and on "Recommended" fail everything except RAM, Pixel Shader , Vertex Shader and HDD..

you need a new unit......
HD 7750 on 250-watt power supply, really.?
Well according to nVidia GT520 needs at least 300watt:
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) --- 300 W
source: http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gt-520/specifications
According to rumors 7750 will not consume much more power than GT520 and it will not require a 6pin connector too. Thats why I said if the rumors are true.
We just need to wait a couple of days (maybe tomorrow) to see if this is true.

Using MSI Afterburner keep core and shader linked. Mem speed also makes a difference.

@malmental: What? I was just answering is question... he didn't ask if he needed an upgrade :kaola:

Gienn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
OT..

i have an AFOX GT520-2GB

here are my Overclocks,
5kr.png

Hey, and i play GTA 4 SMOOTHLY ALL HIGH SETTINGS but the Shadows setting is OFF and everything is smooth on 1366 x 768 @ 60 Hz(My monitors MAX settings LOL) .. xDD

i use MSI Afterburner

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

you can actually buy games online now.

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/pc-download

Kinda interesting, the first legally download games started around 2005 with a strange program called "Steam." oddly enough this looks very similar to what people are now referring to the "cloud" ... hmm ... steamcloud ...

something random to think about.

Gienn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

My max temp when playing GTA 4 is 70c-74c, No artifact, of course i did a research before OCing my GT520, i read a alot in the forums and people say this card sucks for gaming blah blah this and that and they've never use it, LOL,

My games includes Dirt 3 and Dragon Nest Online, and i play them on high settings, NOT VERY HIGH but HIGH SETTINGS.... i have a semi true rated 600W PSU..

Maybe my E7300(2.66) OCed to 3.1Ghz and 6GB DDR3 ram helps???

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I actually had the GT520 for about a month, and i thought it rocked. Then, i upgraded my whole system Entirely, and man did i see how the GT 520 sucks. My APU graphics run better than the GT520, and im alot more pleased with graphics than with the Gt520. I know ever person in this forum is saying the same thing, but i would honest say just spend a few bucks and get a better card. I go to Passmark.com for all my benchmarking, and you will see how the GT520 ranks in cards. Just something to think about, it would make a huge difference, and hey, maybe you can play on higher settings and increase your love of the games you play.

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
for a few measly dollars more odds are you could have found a more suitable card what gaming card

Hm for now my budget wont stay at my pocket , so i can't just sit and see all that eye candy lagging on my PC ... :(