Sign in with
Your question
Solved

990fxa-ud3 mobo fx8120 CPU Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
February 13, 2012 12:19:47 PM

Hey guys I've recently upgraded my system, and have been trying to squeeze a bit more juice out of the CPU. After reading through these forums for the last week I felt confident enough to try OCing this chip myself.

I'm using a Hyper212+ cooler and Kingston Hyper 4Gb 1600 mhz RAM. On my first post to the BIOS I changed LLC to Ultra, Turned off Cool and Quiet, Turned off CE1, Turned the CPU bus speed to manual(200), and changed my multiplier to 20x.

Now my system seems stable, and I'm idling around 31 C. When I run Prime95 it will even off at about 51 C after about 10 minutes of climbing.

I would love to try pushing more out of it depending on the feedback I get here. My problem atm is Core Temp is showing my 8 cores are running at 17x multiplier rather than the 20x I put into the BIOS.

Before I go any further I think it would be a good idea to figure out why this is, and see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks Jesse.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2012 2:38:20 AM

you need to turn turbo mode off and this should fix the problem. I have heard however that gigabyte boards throttle your multiplier with FX chips for some reason. A lot of guys found that lowering your multiplier and increasing your FSB was the key to success.

I have my FX 8120 OC'd @4.2GHz and haven't touched the stock volts, so I'm pretty sure you could push yours a bit more.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2012 4:58:02 AM

Personally I wouldn't turn off C-n-Q, that puts your cpu in a low power 7x, idle temps should drop to around 10 c. As for the bouncing 14x states, seems to be an issue on how the bios handles C1E. My best guess is that C1E has 2 protection modes, motherboard power draw, and internal cpu temps. Seems that gigabyte disables the power draw protection but not the thermal protection. That's why it fluctuates. Keep an ehe on bios updates to possibly fix it properly.
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
a c 114 à CPUs
February 14, 2012 4:43:58 PM

Have you disabled Turbo?

If not, interestingly enough, you may be 'Turbo'ing' some cores at 24.5x200MHz, or 4.9GHz.

m
l
February 14, 2012 7:50:39 PM

Thanks for all the great idea's. I should of mentioned that when I went into the BIOS, and I was planning on disabling the 'Turbo' mode, but once in there I found it was already disabled.

I'm not sure about the Cool and Quiet lowering my idle temps. Before I disabled C and Q in the BIOS I did several days of monitoring my newly built system in Core Temp, and even then I would idle around 31 C. I also disabled my CE1 in the BIOS, whether or not that helped.

Right now Core Temp shows 201.34 X 17x which sometimes bounces up to the 20x leaving me around 3.4 Ghz for 99% of the time.

Rage I'm curious what type of settings you used to achieve your 4.2 Ghz? Should I stick with a 20x multiplier and start bringing up my FSB in increments?

Thank you guys so much for all the great advice!!
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:11:54 PM

Ok I lied. On returning to the BIOS to double-check that my Turbo mode was off. I found next to the Turbo mode it says disabled, but higher there is another line reading Core CPB Functionality. That was still on. After switching that off I'm operating with a 20x multiplier and am sitting at 4.0 Ghz.

These chips really are simple to OC. I'm going to monitor my temps for about a week before I push it anymore.

Would love to still hear back from you Rage :) 

m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2012 8:27:53 PM

AMDhopeful said:
Thanks for all the great idea's. I should of mentioned that when I went into the BIOS, and I was planning on disabling the 'Turbo' mode, but once in there I found it was already disabled.

I'm not sure about the Cool and Quiet lowering my idle temps. Before I disabled C and Q in the BIOS I did several days of monitoring my newly built system in Core Temp, and even then I would idle around 31 C. I also disabled my CE1 in the BIOS, whether or not that helped.

Right now Core Temp shows 201.34 X 17x which sometimes bounces up to the 20x leaving me around 3.4 Ghz for 99% of the time.

Rage I'm curious what type of settings you used to achieve your 4.2 Ghz? Should I stick with a 20x multiplier and start bringing up my FSB in increments?

Thank you guys so much for all the great advice!!

this should be what idle looks like

17x isn't idling properly, should drop to 7. only thing I have disabled is C1E and turbo, but this is an ASUS board.

CPB is bulldozer's turbo, aka core performance boost. definately want that off. To increase stability during overclocking, bump CPU NB voltage slightly, it will lower required CPU voltage exponentially.
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:32:08 AM

Best answer selected by AMDhopeful.
m
l
!