Dual Audio Out Possible?

dkory22

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I'm thinking of building a machine with the following motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130254

I would like to set the computer up to duplicate the desktop on a computer monitor and a wall mounted LCD TV so I can watch netflix/hulu. Will it be possible to also duplicate the sound so that it can be transferred to both my PC speakers (over the 3.5mm line out) and to the TV (over HDMI) at the same time? If not, how difficult is it to switch between the two audio output methods?

Thanks!

bloads

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

I like an answer to the first question as well, but I can answer the 2nd one for you:

Go to control panels, sound, click which output you want and click "set as default"

dkory22

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Thanks for the response! That's simple enough (the PC isn't for me, otherwise I wouldn't mind) and possibly something I could automate somehow.

Still wondering if anyone has any feedback on the first question?

You can't easily do it, as Windows hates dealing with two devices at one time. If however, you have a program that can output audio that lets you select an output device other then the system default, there is the possiblity of being able to output two streams at the same time, provided no driver/Windows conflicts.

bloads

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Ventrilo and Windows media player can pretty easily stream 1 output while the rest of our system does another .

Is there any way to make 1 program stream to two outputs? Like, could i have the movie i'm watching play on my speakers in my computer room, but also my HDMI stream to my living room TV? Perhaps there's a 3rd party program that forces this?