Your question

Questions when overclocking Visiontek 6850

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
  • Visiontek
Last response: in Overclocking
February 13, 2012 3:40:41 PM

Recently I've been toying with overclocking and I have a few questions...

I have a visiontek 6850. Stock set at 775 mhz core clock and 1000 mhz memory clock. I have successfully overclocked the core speed up to 1000 mhz and the memory stayed at 1000 by upping the voltage to 2280 on Sapphire Trixx...

My first question is, if my load temps after 15 minutes on furmark are at 81, is this too hot?...

Also... I have a question, not just for THIS overclock but for all overclocks...

Second question: Would I be correct to say that as long as you don't add too much voltage, AND can keep your hardware cool, you are not damaging your hardware as long as it's running stable?...

Is that right or not?

One last thing... I've been looking at trying to find the best and cheapest way to cool my ENTIRE system. Would liquid cooling be my best bet? Cost is definetely an issue, but I've been thinking about the cost for all the fans in the case... (as I have only one) and it just kinda seems worth it...

Oh... ONE more thing... IF I do buy a liquid cooling kit, does anybody have recommendations for one that will cool both my cpu AND gpu?

PS: how do I know if the liquid cooling kit is compatible with my gpu

-Sorry all my questions are jumbled togeather... I've been searching everywhere, but don't really know how to word this stuff in google...

More about : questions overclocking visiontek 6850

February 13, 2012 3:59:25 PM

Hi, I've been overclocking my visiontek 6850 and have some questions:

1.As a general rule of thumb, would I be correct to say "As long as your hardware has the right voltage, and is running cool and stable, then you are NOT damaging your hardware in any way?" Obviously the higher you overclock the more power you need, and the hotter it's going to get.... BUT if you can disperse the heat... does that mean it's fine for it?

2.If I am trying to cool my graphics card, how do I go about purchasing something to fit the fan socket on the card... does it matter that the card is a VISIONTEK, or will all 6850's be the same?

3.Are there any liquid cooling devices that will cool both my cpu AND gpu?

Thanks and sorry I know I'm asking allot of questions, but I couldn't find them anywhere... I didn't really know how to ask them in google... :/ 
m
l
February 13, 2012 3:59:55 PM

1.As a general rule of thumb, would I be correct to say "As long as your hardware has the right voltage, and is running cool and stable, then you are NOT damaging your hardware in any way?" Obviously the higher you overclock the more power you need, and the hotter it's going to get.... BUT if you can disperse the heat... does that mean it's fine for it?

2.If I am trying to cool my graphics card, how do I go about purchasing something to fit the fan socket on the card... does it matter that the card is a VISIONTEK, or will all 6850's be the same?

Thanks and sorry I know I'm asking allot of questions, but I couldn't find them anywhere... I didn't really know how to ask them in google... :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a c 337 K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 4:38:58 PM

What kind of solution are you looking for?

I can suggest parts for a watercooling loop, but my guess is that you want everything to come in a single box and able to be installed in 5 minutes? If so, you aren't going to find that. There are some LCS coolers aimed at video cards, but not many.

Please provide a bit more information on what you are actually looking for as this might help us in the right direction for you.

Most coolers are card/GPU specific, not necessarily card manufacturer. In short- is it nVidia or AMD reference or not?

To address your power consumption at higher clocks- yes and no. Your card will consume more power at higher clocks, but unless you overvolt or volt mod your card, you should be safe with stock voltage settings. Like CPUs, GPUs will suffer from circuit and component degradation at too-high of a voltage setting; this is different for every CPU or GPU, but at some point, too much current passing through components actually begins to remove tiny traces of material, similar to a fast-moving river erodes river banks.
m
l
February 13, 2012 4:44:16 PM

m
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
February 13, 2012 4:53:33 PM

This next topics has been merged by Rubix_1011
  • Overclocking 6850
    m
    l
    a c 337 K Overclocking
    February 13, 2012 4:54:49 PM

This next topics has been merged by Rubix_1011
  • Questions About Cooling Visiontek 6850
  • Overclocking Visiontek 6850
    m
    l
    a c 337 K Overclocking
    February 13, 2012 4:55:31 PM

Triple post- Please use editing options when needing to edit a post.
    m
    l
    !