Bring Raid 0 to a new board

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I have a 500G HDD raid 0 set up, what's the easiest way to make it work on a new motherboard I am upgrading to? (preferably without losing the data on it.)

A motherboard with the same chipset. I can't get into more details as you didn't provide any info on the old motherboard. I still recommend a complete backup just in case something goes wrong, e.g., a human error when reconfiguring the RAID 0 on the new motherboard.

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
the motherboard (new) is a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3. the old one was also a gigabyte.
I dont want a complete back up because it has windows installed on it, which windows is now on my SSD. I backed up everything and when I tried to restore it only restored my folders and nothing in them :/
this is kind of a rewording on a question I asked before but never got a good answer on. I am trying to have a SSD boot drive and a raid for programs. Right now I am running my programs off and external HD, at least its USB 3. SO its not necessary that the drive be saved because I have everything backed up in a different way and I can reinstall my programs no problem.
I just want my SSD and raid to work at the same time

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

o_o? I dont know. I know that I had 2 500G HDD in raid and I still had a 232 G in there as well that works. I have the drivers and latest bio update for the new board. its just a matter of knowing I can have an SSD work with trim AND have raid

tomatthe

Distinguished
Your ssd should be fine using trim, even if it's on a controller that is also running a raid set, as long as the ssd isn't actually part of the raid set.

To check that it's working once you've got things setup:

Taken from a sticky thread:

Q: "How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?"

A: Go to the Command prompt and type > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I know I have seen this before but it never ment anything to me until now. That solves a good bit of my concerns.

tomatthe

Distinguished
You were not booting to the array correct? As I read you were booting to the SSD, which you had setup and working normally. You mentioned you had all drivers installed so the controller you are adding the new drives to should have already been working normally just with no drives on it except maybe the ssd which should be fine. You were then going to hookup the 2 500g drives, enter the raid bios, and configure the newly added drives as you wanted (which would erase them, so I take it you had them backed up.)

I would start by removing the drives to make sure you can get back into Windows normally. It is likely your bios flipped around the boot order when you added the new drives, and is trying to boot off the drives you just added. I would have thought when you entered the raid bios and created the array it would have formatted the drives, but I suppose it's possible it just recognized the array and left the data intact.

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I set up raid array, deleted everything on the drive, and set up the raid. the mobo reads it as a raid drive, the issue is that if I set my bios to raid, my SSD wont boot, even if the raid HDDs are hooked up or not.

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I did the Registry Editor change to 0(prior to raid config), so that shouldnt be an issue now, right?

tomatthe

Distinguished
I didn't realize your controller wasn't set to Raid from the get go here, nor did I ask so that's my fault. I don't actually know why people use ahci vs raid even if you aren't technically using a raid set, but I assume there is some reason. I searched for a bit about switching from ahci to raid with this controller, but unfortunately found very little on it.

It looks like there are two different pre-install drivers for this chipset, one for ahci, one for raid. I don't know how/if it's possible to get the Raid one into Windows post install.

Bottom line you can definitely run this setup, but you may need to reinstall windows with the controller in Raid mode. It's very likely there is another solution to this, I just can't seem to find it.

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I went to gigabytes website and ran all the .exe raid drivers. There were two drivers that had non executable files, so I didnt do anything with them.

sal9000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

If someone 2nds thats the way to fix it, id reinstall everything. Not a horribly tough thing to do