Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bring Raid 0 to a new board

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 6, 2011 1:12:34 AM

I have a 500G HDD raid 0 set up, what's the easiest way to make it work on a new motherboard I am upgrading to? (preferably without losing the data on it.)

More about : bring raid board

a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 82 G Storage
September 6, 2011 1:16:12 AM

A motherboard with the same chipset. I can't get into more details as you didn't provide any info on the old motherboard. I still recommend a complete backup just in case something goes wrong, e.g., a human error when reconfiguring the RAID 0 on the new motherboard.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 2:15:43 AM

You cant transfer the RAID setup. Changing a motherboard is building a new computer. Period. What you have to do is backup everything, build your new computer, install the RAID, OS, and then restore your data.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 2:30:38 AM

the motherboard (new) is a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3. the old one was also a gigabyte.
I dont want a complete back up because it has windows installed on it, which windows is now on my SSD. I backed up everything and when I tried to restore it only restored my folders and nothing in them :/ 
this is kind of a rewording on a question I asked before but never got a good answer on. I am trying to have a SSD boot drive and a raid for programs. Right now I am running my programs off and external HD, at least its USB 3. SO its not necessary that the drive be saved because I have everything backed up in a different way and I can reinstall my programs no problem.
I just want my SSD and raid to work at the same time
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 82 G Storage
September 6, 2011 2:44:48 AM

Did the old motherboard also have a similar SATA/RAID controller? Having a non-RAID SSD and a RAID for applications will work, but you should set the controller in RAID mode and install the drivers before configuring the array.
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 3:37:09 AM

GhislainG said:
Did the old motherboard also have a similar SATA/RAID controller? Having a non-RAID SSD and a RAID for applications will work, but you should set the controller in RAID mode and install the drivers before configuring the array.

o_o? I dont know. I know that I had 2 500G HDD in raid and I still had a 232 G in there as well that works. I have the drivers and latest bio update for the new board. its just a matter of knowing I can have an SSD work with trim AND have raid
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 82 G Storage
September 6, 2011 11:25:34 AM

Hopefully a member familiar with that AMD platform can answer your question if that info isn't available on their site.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 12:37:10 PM

Your ssd should be fine using trim, even if it's on a controller that is also running a raid set, as long as the ssd isn't actually part of the raid set.

To check that it's working once you've got things setup:

Taken from a sticky thread:

Q: "How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?"

A: Go to the Command prompt and type > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 1:41:52 PM

tomatthe said:
Your ssd should be fine using trim, even if it's on a controller that is also running a raid set, as long as the ssd isn't actually part of the raid set.

To check that it's working once you've got things setup:

Taken from a sticky thread:

Q: "How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?"

A: Go to the Command prompt and type > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

Thanks :) 
I know I have seen this before but it never ment anything to me until now. That solves a good bit of my concerns.
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 2:02:45 PM

I set up a raid array with my new board and when I boot into windows it flickers BSOD and restarts :/ 
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 3:10:26 PM

You were not booting to the array correct? As I read you were booting to the SSD, which you had setup and working normally. You mentioned you had all drivers installed so the controller you are adding the new drives to should have already been working normally just with no drives on it except maybe the ssd which should be fine. You were then going to hookup the 2 500g drives, enter the raid bios, and configure the newly added drives as you wanted (which would erase them, so I take it you had them backed up.)

I would start by removing the drives to make sure you can get back into Windows normally. It is likely your bios flipped around the boot order when you added the new drives, and is trying to boot off the drives you just added. I would have thought when you entered the raid bios and created the array it would have formatted the drives, but I suppose it's possible it just recognized the array and left the data intact.
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 3:33:18 PM

tomatthe said:
You were not booting to the array correct? As I read you were booting to the SSD, which you had setup and working normally. You mentioned you had all drivers installed so the controller you are adding the new drives to should have already been working normally just with no drives on it except maybe the ssd which should be fine. You were then going to hookup the 2 500g drives, enter the raid bios, and configure the newly added drives as you wanted (which would erase them, so I take it you had them backed up.)

I would start by removing the drives to make sure you can get back into Windows normally. It is likely your bios flipped around the boot order when you added the new drives, and is trying to boot off the drives you just added. I would have thought when you entered the raid bios and created the array it would have formatted the drives, but I suppose it's possible it just recognized the array and left the data intact.

I set up raid array, deleted everything on the drive, and set up the raid. the mobo reads it as a raid drive, the issue is that if I set my bios to raid, my SSD wont boot, even if the raid HDDs are hooked up or not.
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 82 G Storage
September 6, 2011 4:31:14 PM

That's because your SATA controller probably was configured for IDE instead of AHCI at installation time. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 for the solution.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 4:38:56 PM

GhislainG said:
That's because your SATA controller probably was configured for IDE instead of AHCI at installation time. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 for the solution.



Good call this seems very likely to be the issue.
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 4:46:34 PM

tomatthe said:
Good call this seems very likely to be the issue.

I did the Registry Editor change to 0(prior to raid config), so that shouldnt be an issue now, right?
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 82 G Storage
September 6, 2011 5:37:19 PM

Does it boot?
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 9:25:32 PM

GhislainG said:
Does it boot?

for whatever reason, even when I select manually to boot from it, the SSD will not boot as long as I change AHCI to RAID
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 82 G Storage
September 6, 2011 9:49:53 PM

Once in AHCI, did you load the RAID drivers and then did you make sure that they are enabled at boot? All of this probably is easier on an Intel motherboard, but it should also work on an AMD motherboard.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 10:03:31 PM

I didn't realize your controller wasn't set to Raid from the get go here, nor did I ask so that's my fault. I don't actually know why people use ahci vs raid even if you aren't technically using a raid set, but I assume there is some reason. I searched for a bit about switching from ahci to raid with this controller, but unfortunately found very little on it.

It looks like there are two different pre-install drivers for this chipset, one for ahci, one for raid. I don't know how/if it's possible to get the Raid one into Windows post install.

Bottom line you can definitely run this setup, but you may need to reinstall windows with the controller in Raid mode. It's very likely there is another solution to this, I just can't seem to find it.

m
0
l
September 6, 2011 10:34:05 PM

GhislainG said:
Once in AHCI, did you load the RAID drivers and then did you make sure that they are enabled at boot? All of this probably is easier on an Intel motherboard, but it should also work on an AMD motherboard.

I went to gigabytes website and ran all the .exe raid drivers. There were two drivers that had non executable files, so I didnt do anything with them.
m
0
l
September 6, 2011 10:35:44 PM

tomatthe said:
I didn't realize your controller wasn't set to Raid from the get go here, nor did I ask so that's my fault. I don't actually know why people use ahci vs raid even if you aren't technically using a raid set, but I assume there is some reason. I searched for a bit about switching from ahci to raid with this controller, but unfortunately found very little on it.

It looks like there are two different pre-install drivers for this chipset, one for ahci, one for raid. I don't know how/if it's possible to get the Raid one into Windows post install.

Bottom line you can definitely run this setup, but you may need to reinstall windows with the controller in Raid mode. It's very likely there is another solution to this, I just can't seem to find it.

If someone 2nds thats the way to fix it, id reinstall everything. Not a horribly tough thing to do
m
0
l
!