August Peachwater

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
So I've got two 80s on the front of the case and two on the back.

Do you guys think 4 80mm's is enough? They're going to be cooling an amd phenom 2 X4 965 processor and either a 4890 or 5850 graphics card.
I was considering maybe 4 on the front.

What I like about the 80mm's is the price; you can't really beat 2 bucks, Masscool 80mm and they get cheaper the more you buy. One 120mm fan is about 6 bucks, and the best quiet/high cfm/high rated fan I found is Rosewill 120mm
I like this rifle bearing fan for the horizontal fans I might need, but it has shite ratings IPCQueen 120mm, what do you think of it?

Also,
I was hoping to change the front leds, from green and red as they are now, to maybe blue and purple. Could you maybe give this a quick read through and see if it's legit? Changing LEDs

120s give you more bang for the buck - remember when you had to find the area of a circle back in high school? Pi r squared, where:
-- 80mm yield an area of (40mm x 40mm x 3.14) ~ 5,204 square mm
-- 120mm yield an area of (60mm x 60mm x 3.14) ~ 11,304 square mm

So, two 120mm fans will give you more than double the air volume of the four 40mm fans @ the same rpm.
With 1/2 the number of mounting points as the two 80mm fans, the 120s will likely make less noise, too.

LED case mod:
Looks good. He got the polarity indicators right. The only thing he got wrong was:

"Just in case you want to be on the safer side of things, get an LED with a higher voltage rating, say 4V or 5V. It might not be as bright, but at least you won't have a burnt LED!"

No such thing as an LED with a higher voltage reading. 0.7 volts in the right direction across one will cause it to start to conduct. Increase voltage just makes it glow brighter. The motherboard circuits that drive the LED's automatically limit the applied voltage.

Next question is how good are your soldering skills? Be honest now. :)

Practice a while. Or find a friend who can solder.