Sign in with
Your question

Hey out there - get win7 Pro (Full) with .edu for $30

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2009 9:01:19 PM

Hey everyone.
Someone I just worked with started the win741 process, and got the e-mail with the link to buy the $30 Home Premium Upgrade. However, he wanted Pro and full version at that, so he called: 1.877.696.7786 - and pressed the button to pre-order. When he got on the line with the associate he told them he actually wanted the full version of win7 pro, and they agreed. He got the receipt and everything. Only paid the $30+tax.

Offer ends today. He had to supply his .edu e-mail address over the phone, but he got it.

(well we will know for sure in about a week when it arrives, but it seems pretty legit right now).

More about : hey win7 pro full

October 21, 2009 10:02:10 PM

I would recommend using Digital River instead... They give you the option to preorder right then and there for professional for $29.99 tax depends on where you live. I don't mean to be a downer, but here are good points of why to use digital river instead.

First, The Rice Company does not distribute software. As a matter of fact they're in the marketing, and resource managing department.

Second, the phone number you were given, is for Microsoft's return department. Second did you read that it is not shipped? It is only a download, unless he paid $13.99~ for the backup media.

Third, this service Win741 is actually Digital River's service. Like I state previously, The Rice Company is a marketing company not a software distributor. Better to get it directly from Digital Rivers in case any issues arise.

Fourth the upgrade version is the full version, it is the exact same thing as the retail disc. The only difference is the upgrade version does not come with 32/64 bit innately. If you meant retail version, there's no way your getting that because the full version carries 32/64 bit software in there.

Digital River is a well known Microsoft distributor for their digital software, also servicing many hundreds of other known digital downloads/purchases.

Here are the details.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/Dis...

WARNING: THIS DEAL IS FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD PURCHASE ONLY (this is the only way to get Windows 7 for $29.99). YOU MUST PAY $13.99 FOR PHYSICAL DISKS IF YOU WANT THEM, HOWEVER DO NOT EXPECT TO RECEIVE THE FULL RETAIL BOX, OR UPGRADE BOX.

IMPORTANT: IF YOUR UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE HAS "ADVANCED" NETWORKING (Domain Join) THEN YOU CAN GET WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL FOR $29.99. I am not sure if this deal is extended to everyone without a check, however a month ago Professional was listed for $49.99. The versions come in 32 or 64 bit, you must choose one. That is the only downside to this deal, 32 or 64 bit choose one and there is no going back or forth.

Requirements:
* Email with .edu address @xxxxx.edu
* must have access to that email, the download link/Key will be sent.
* You can still get it, I honestly don't know when it expires, but I am guessing maybe soon.
* There is a different terms of agreement with the student upgrade. Basically they state what you already know. "Should be used for personal use" "Cannot be resold" "1 Windows 7 Licence per computer." "This offer was made for students, and as such it must be purchased for academic purposes. However we have no way of knowing if you will".... Yes it literally tells you that they trust you will use it for academic purposes.

The Process goes something like this:
1. You get your school email (.edu), you give them information such as:
School ID, Name, Address, University or college.
2. You receive a mail to your .edu email, no there is no way to have Digital Rivers send it to your regular .com email. This email contains a link that will log you into your account and ready you to order Windows 7.
3. Select the version (Windows 7 Home Premium, or Professional if offered (look for a small beige box saying "need domain join~ click here for professional). The price should be $29.99.
4. Backup media can be shipped to you for a price of $13.99. These are physical discs. You really dont need it as long as you have a DVD burner, just burn 2-5 copies, because they will not allow redownloading unless you pay $4.95.
5. On October 22nd, tomorrow for my time Central USA/Canada. They will email all those who preordered it, and give them download links, and windows 7 keys. Download, burn, enjoy.
October 22, 2009 5:06:20 PM

Got the download. But how the heck do I use the Exe and box files? The extracting process fails to write at the end!!!

Someone else has had the same problem:

I was led to believe that upon downloading, I would get an .ISO file, which I would then burn to a DVD. Then I would boot from this DVD and do a clean/custom install.

This has not been possible. Upon downloading from the Microsoft Student Website, I get 3 files. These are:

Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe

setup1.box

setup2.box

I double click on "Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe" and I get the message "Unloading the Box". Once the status bar reaches the end, I get the following error:

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only".

I click on OK. Regardless of the fact that I received the above error message, I now have a new folder called "expandedSetup".

Within this folder are lots and lots of complicated looking files, stored within many other sub folders.

However, in the root of "expandedSetup" is a file called "setup.exe". I double click on this file, and I get the following error message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit)
or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher".

This is as far as I have managed to get. I cannot find an .ISO file anywhere within the download, so I am unable to make a bootable DVD.
Related resources
October 22, 2009 5:36:10 PM

AsAnAtheist Could you clairfy this?

Fourth the upgrade version is the full version, it is the exact same thing as the retail disc. The only difference is the upgrade version does not come with 32/64 bit innately. If you meant retail version, there's no way your getting that because the full version carries 32/64 bit software in there.

I am building a new computer and have the upgrade version, will i be able to install the 64 bit version on the new computer?
October 22, 2009 7:30:46 PM

@Aaron
No you must have a previously install windows version. you can get around this by installing the "RC candidate WIndows 7" and using certain stuff to validate it. Then installing the legit version of W7.

@cyborg28

The Exe is used to extract the contents of the Box1/2, if your Exe fails to extract with giving you an error that states "make sure you have permissions to write on the folder, and that it is not read only."

You need to select the Desktop folder, and uncheck "Read only". You will be asked for several permissions.This step can be a hassle as sometimes the right go back to read only. Work with it.

Once this is done the folder should be extracted. The only issue after that might be if your trying to run the 64bit version of windows on a 32 bit. If your upgrading for 64 to 64 bit, and using the same version (vista business, for 7 professional... vista home premium for windows 7 home premium) you can do a in place install (leaving your programs/files).

It will tell you immediately if you can run a in place install or if you need to do a custom when you run the setup. If it says you must do a custom install you need to burn the "expandedsetup" (3.06~gbs) folder to a DVD with bootable option. Please read on ImgBurn if you dont know how to do this.

Highly recommended to make a few copies of this folder for later use/backup.

To perform a Custom install (or clean install), you must burn the folder "expandedsetup" to a bootable DVD (this means the BIOS can boot from it). Place the disc in the drive, and restart your computer.
Once it restarts hit the according setup key for your BIOS.
1. Check to see if your BIOS has CD/DVD as 1st priority boot.
2. If it is checked as 1st priority, exit.
3. Wait for "Press any key to boot from CD....." <-- time sensitive (your given around 5seconds~)
4. Let the DVD configure window's setup. It will take around 5-15 minutes depending on hardware to show you install options.
5. Select language (english only, unless you have ultimate in which case you should have multiple languages available)
7. Select keyboard configuration.
8. Click on Install Now.
9. Read/Accept the terms, or enjoy cancellation of setup.
10. This is IMPORTANT: If your setup when you ran it on your current version of windows said you neede a custom install; DO NOT HIT UPGRADE, this will end up telling you you cannot, and will have to start the process again.
11. Select Custom Install (Clean Install).
IMPORTANT
12. Select the Hard Drive partition which has Windows in it, and go to "drive options (advanced). After that hit Format. And wait. This will wipe ALL INFORMATION, ALL PROGRAMS, EVERYTHING. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR FILES!
13. You need atleast 16 gbs for 32 bit windows 7, and 20 gbs for 64 bit windows 7.
Install, and enjoy!

The Setup will basically finish up and at the end as you more information (username/timezone/networking etc).
The setup asks for the key immediately upon installation.
You have 3 days to validate it, if it passes activation.
October 22, 2009 7:38:45 PM

cyborg28 said:
Got the download. But how the heck do I use the Exe and box files? The extracting process fails to write at the end!!!

Someone else has had the same problem:

I was led to believe that upon downloading, I would get an .ISO file, which I would then burn to a DVD. Then I would boot from this DVD and do a clean/custom install.

This has not been possible. Upon downloading from the Microsoft Student Website, I get 3 files. These are:

Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe

setup1.box

setup2.box

I double click on "Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe" and I get the message "Unloading the Box". Once the status bar reaches the end, I get the following error:

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only".

I click on OK. Regardless of the fact that I received the above error message, I now have a new folder called "expandedSetup".

Within this folder are lots and lots of complicated looking files, stored within many other sub folders.

However, in the root of "expandedSetup" is a file called "setup.exe". I double click on this file, and I get the following error message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit)
or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher".

This is as far as I have managed to get. I cannot find an .ISO file anywhere within the download, so I am unable to make a bootable DVD.

read my previous post on how to do a custom install. I forgot to add how to use ImgBurn.

To create a bootable DVD, you need to get a software to burn DVD's. ImgBurn is free, it's great and it's what I used.

From ImgBurn all you need to do is go to "Write files/folders to CD", open the extended folder/place all of it's contents inside the white box in ImgBurn.

From there go to "Advanced" then "Bootable DVD or CD" select the option.

Upon selection you will need to select the BOOTABLE DDOS FILE. This is found in the "Boot" folder. Make sure you select the DOS application.

IF you do anything wrong, ImgBurn immediately recognizes the files as an operating system and will give you funny smartass statements which I actually look for because they're humorous. Anyways make sure to read ANYTHING IMGBURN GIVES YOU.

Burn/Enjoy.
October 22, 2009 7:42:29 PM

AsAnAtheist said:

@cyborg28

The Exe is used to extract the contents of the Box1/2, if your Exe fails to extract with giving you an error that states "make sure you have permissions to write on the folder, and that it is not read only."

You need to select the Desktop folder, and uncheck "Read only". You will be asked for several permissions.This step can be a hassle as sometimes the right go back to read only. Work with it.

I have tried extracting it under multiple levels of user authority and in multiple directories. It still hangs right at the end. It can clearly create folders and save files. IDK what is up with the error.
October 23, 2009 1:40:45 AM

If the error persists, look the folder size if it's 3.06gbs~ it's fine. Just burn it into a bootable DVD for backup.
!