Sign in with
Your question

Should I make the jump to ddr3?

Last response: in Memory
April 15, 2010 8:15:07 AM

Ok so right now I am running on a gigabyte board, an amd phenom 965, and ddr2 1066 with timings of 5-5-5-15. This system is super snappy and I can run anything I throw at it with awesome speed. However I was thinking about making the switch to an am3 ddr3 motherboard because i wanna be able to get the new amd 6 cores when they arrive. I was wondering if i would see a gain as far as performance goes? I mean will the ddr3 modules give me better or worse scores in a variety of benchmarks? The reason i am asking a question that has been asked like a million times is mainly because ddr3 has now gone mainstream and the timings have gotten way better than even 6 monthes ago. When I look on articles and other forums on this subject all i can find are people who have asked this question some time ago before the timings on ddr3 have really improved. I am really sorry if I make anyone angry by asking this rhetorical question but I would eally appreciate a straightforward answer. Thank you. :o 

More about : make jump ddr3

a b } Memory
April 15, 2010 1:15:13 PM

Well, the Thuban Phenom II X6 CPUs will support DDR2, so, I don't see the point of upgrading. In terms of benchmarking, possibly, but if the latencies on the DDR3 RAM is too high and the speed too low, then it'll perform worse than DDR2. In terms of real world performance differences, there will be maybe a few FPS in games or a few seconds to half a minute of time reduced rendering a video.

If you want to upgrade to DDR3, you'll also have to upgrade your motherboard too. As for making anyone angry, because this question is common... It's a pretty good one actually, and I haven't seen a question like this so far (I have only been here for less than a month), but probably questions like this were common when the 790i Ultra SLI motherboards supported DDR3, while the 780i only supported DDR2 for Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads. I've seen one helluva lot stupider question than this before.
m
l
April 15, 2010 6:36:30 PM

I'm betting you'd see a performance rise in terms of what RAM does. Top timings for the DDR3 line are 9-9-9-24 I believe which is much better than the 5-5-5-15 and latency is improved as well. Everyone I know that has made the switch has even noticed a huge difference.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 8:58:49 PM

10hellfire01 said:
I'm betting you'd see a performance rise in terms of what RAM does. Top timings for the DDR3 line are 9-9-9-24 I believe which is much better than the 5-5-5-15 and latency is improved as well. Everyone I know that has made the switch has even noticed a huge difference.

I thought that the lower the timings, the better?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
April 15, 2010 9:45:39 PM

10hellfire01 said:

Going from DDR2 to DDR3 provides little performance improvements. What else was switched at the same time other than a new motherboard?
m
l
April 15, 2010 9:53:54 PM

I don't remember the math, but i'm fairly sure latencies you can't compare latencies for ddr2 and ddr3 directly to each other. DDR3 higher bandwidth combined with a 6 core cpu would only be relevent under very specific situations. It's much like core i7 1366 boards not showing much differnce between dual channel and tri channel memory. I'd wait for the benchmarks and hold off on buying anything now.
m
l
April 16, 2010 1:41:19 AM

ok well thank you for all of your help i guess ill prob just stick to ddr2 for awhile then. My main concern was weather the new 6 core cpu from amd would actually still have support for4 ddr2 memory. Everything i looked up said maybe yes or maybe no. That was my main concern. Hey i know this is off topic but do you know when these 6 core cpus will be available for the masses? I know intel has one out now but frankly I refuse to pay $1000 usd for just the cpu alone.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 16, 2010 12:59:25 PM

Well, apparently they'll be released nearing the end of this month - the flagship Phenom II X6 1090T will be sold for under $300, and lower end 1075T, 1055T and 1035T for even less... Don't worry, Phenom II X6 will definitely support DDR2.
m
l
!