No matter how many times i clean install windows xp it will not install the ethe

i had my dell precision 390 crash on me. doing a repair did not work, so i had to do a clean install from the original dell disk. windows xp pro. install was fine, everything was normal...........except there was no ethernet controller driver installed, so no DSL connection!

i tried installing from the original dell drivers and utilities disk..................will not install the driver........R73044. i have burnt the driver onto another cd..............still will not install! i have tried to open the driver in a myriad of different ways to install it...............WILL NOT INSTALL...............keeps asking me to connect to the web to search for the best driver?????

so far searching the web forums for advice on what to do........the "expert" opinion has constantly been been.............."connect to the web and download the driver direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".....................don't these so called experts understand, without an ethernet contoller you cannot get connected with DSL!!!!!!!!!!!!

can anyone please offer a sane suggestion how to get over this????.............as i have wasted days and am deade in the water.......:(
6 answers Last reply
More about matter times clean install windows install ethe
  1. nubenow said:
    i had my dell precision 390 crash on me. doing a repair did not work, so i had to do a clean install from the original dell disk. windows xp pro. install was fine, everything was normal...........except there was no ethernet controller driver installed, so no DSL connection!

    i tried installing from the original dell drivers and utilities disk..................will not install the driver........R73044. i have burnt the driver onto another cd..............still will not install! i have tried to open the driver in a myriad of different ways to install it...............WILL NOT INSTALL...............keeps asking me to connect to the web to search for the best driver?????

    so far searching the web forums for advice on what to do........the "expert" opinion has constantly been been.............."connect to the web and download the driver direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".....................don't these so called experts understand, without an ethernet contoller you cannot get connected with DSL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    can anyone please offer a sane suggestion how to get over this????.............as i have wasted days and am deade in the water.......:(

    I would suggest the people who are offering the advice are assuming you are on a working computer (as you are with your post) and can download the driver to a flash drive to take it to the other computer to install.
  2. ksiemb said:
    I would suggest the people who are offering the advice are assuming you are on a working computer (as you are with your post) and can download the driver to a flash drive to take it to the other computer to install.



    i accept your point, and i do have a laptop i am working on, the problem is on my desktop ..........but downloading the driver onto a usb, or cd and trying to install it does not work!

    can you tell me how to install it in this way, as everytime i try, i keep getting a message saying it needs to connect to the web.......when i cannot..........it says the hardware cannot be installed.

    in the device manger it show a yellow question mark........when i try and update the driver.............it just goes into the same loop as before.............connect to the web?????
  3. Post the link you got the drive from, and the steps you are doing to install it. From the sound of things you either got the wrong driver or are installing it in the wrong way.
  4. the driver was downloaded direct from dell............

    it is...R73044.........conexant D850 56K V.9x PCI DF Modem ULD

    it comes with a conexant universal set up.........which is how i have tried to install it, but that will not function?

    i have tried to copy the actual driver into the windows/system32/drivers.........that doesn't work either.

    any other ideas?

    thanks
  5. if i try and install the driver by opening it.......i get a message saying........."an error occured while unzipping. one or more files were not successfully unzipped. the error code is 40."
  6. nubenow said:
    the driver was downloaded direct from dell............

    it is...R73044.........conexant D850 56K V.9x PCI DF Modem ULD

    it comes with a conexant universal set up.........which is how i have tried to install it, but that will not function?

    i have tried to copy the actual driver into the windows/system32/drivers.........that doesn't work either.

    any other ideas?

    thanks


    That is not an ethernet drivers, that is for the 56k modem. Is that what you are using? Look in the downloads section again, and get the network driver for the ethernet card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Clean Install Dell Windows XP