Cooling fo Overclock processor????

summan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hello,
I have a question about cooling my cpu! I'm having a hard time deciding what to choose for my i7 960 Bloomfield! I am torn between H100 water cooling or Phanteks PH-TC14PE! I also looked at NH-D14 but it covers my ram slot too big! Btw i have a Rampage 3 formula 1366 socket! Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in Advance!

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
they will perform very comparably with plenty of room for a decent OC however the phanteks will do so while making much less noise. Personally I would go for the big air cooler and make sure i had adequate case ventilation

summan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

i am thinking about going for a air cooler as well, but there are 2 things that are on my mind. first my house stays pretty warm around 65 to 69 degrees. second is that if i get the phantek it will cover 2 of my ram slots
:( currently i have 16GB of Corsair w/ heat spreaders. its just the clearance issue. :(

D

Deleted member 217926

65 to 69 degrees is warm? Where do you live....the north pole? :p

The Phantek is about the best air cooler out there but you are right about Corsair having clearance issues with their heat spreaders.

The 960 is a hot chip too....you need more cooling than with a Sandy Bridge chip. You might do best with something like the H80 or H100. Damn expensive options though. You could almost get a high end air cooler and new RAM and still save money.

What case do you have?

summan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I know Phantek is a one of the best cooler but its just the clearance issue it takes up too much room1 wish the motherboard was bigger :/ I got the ram because it was on sale so i grabbed it LOL :D the H100 is about $100 20 more than the phantek so i guess its not that bad :/

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
H100 all the way. And upgrade the fans into a push/pull. That is how I have mine set up and it works very well.

Benefits:

1) best cooling solution short of custom water cooling.
2) easy to install (pre applied paste is excellent)
3) smaller footprint which gives more room for air to circulate in the case
4) optimized fan speeds (I run mine on low: it is quiet and it keeps my 4.5 OC in the low 60s'C at 100% load)

And more. :)

My only regret is that I didn't buy 2 when Newegg had a Shell Shocker on them. :(

D

Deleted member 217926

If you do go with an H100 make sure you still have a fan blowing on the VRMs surrounding the CPU. Overclocking will heat them up as well and you lose the cooling effect provided by the big air coolers with any kind of water setup.

summan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Ok So the case come with a 200mm fan installed on top! So i bought 2 more 200 mm fans one for the side and another for the top! so total of 3 200mm fans and then i bought another one for the front (140mm) so i am going to have a total of 7 fans running!! :D

summan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

If its not too much trouble can you post a few Pics of the set up :D

Well you'll be looking at watercooling then.
Big air coolers simply won't fit in a Phantom using a 200mm side fan.
The tallest air cooler you can use is like 140mm tall which won't cut-it for cooling a 960.