Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P Memory problems! - Solved!

Last response: in Motherboards
April 15, 2010 10:19:49 AM

Hello everybody!

I'm having compatibility problems with the following set:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P + Xeon 3440 + Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (2 x 2GB)!

Only 2GB of RAM are shown!

We tried other types of memories such as MarkVision, OCZ and Kingston!

The problem continues!

Then we switch processor, for a Core i5 750. Only with Core i5 750 plus memories Kingston worked correctly!

I used the same set of processor (Xeon 3440) and Corsair Dominator on a Intel motherboard and everything was properly recognized!

We've done BIOS update and nothing was solved.

My question is, if I switch to another processor, the memories would be properly recognized?

I am considering using a Core i7 860!

Suggestions? Did another update of BIOS, a BIOS newer than the version F7 will solve the problem?

More about : gigabyte p55 ud3p memory problems solved

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2010 10:50:57 AM

Many of the BIOS updates get marked "Enhance memory compatibility" so that could help. Given that it works with the i5 750, I'm not sure this will fix the problem, but I would recommend upgrading BIOS. And if you do upgrade, use the QFlash utility in BIOS - do not use Gigabyte's @BIOS software program that runs in Windows.

Missing memory with the latest Intel boards is often a result of poor contact between the CPU and the socket pins. Sometimes the CPU just needs re-seated. Sometimes you need to inspect for bent pins and straighten them back out. Since it worked for the i5 750, try putting the Xeon back. That might be all it takes. But while you have the CPU out, you may as well also double check for bent pins.

Read more about it, and other useful Gigabyte information in bilbat's guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272698-30-gigabyte-gu...
To read about socket 1156 missing memory jump down to the section labeled "i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory". (This guide also has additional information on upgrading BIOS.)
April 16, 2010 1:44:26 AM

First of all... the CPU you are using is not on their validated CPU support list:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

Second... when doing OC or memory module gets hot, some of the modules' timing may not be able to keep up as configured, therefore, this module will be dropped.
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 16, 2010 2:38:32 AM

Xeons are architecturally quite different than the desktop series CPU - no hope it will ever work correctly.
m
l
April 16, 2010 2:43:14 AM

ekoostik, thank you for enlightening replies. I'll look for bent pins in addition of course to test the i7 860.

Fatbird, my processor is not on the support list but core i5 750, which is in the support list, also suffers the same problem depending on the memory used!

Furthermore, although Xeon 3440 is not in the support list of EVGA P55 FTW, EVGA P55 LE and Intel Desktop Board DP55KG, it works very well.

I have not done any overclocking! Yet! Simply because it is not stable with two memory modules from Corsair! Only with one memory module!

Anyway I'll test the Core i7 860!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 16, 2010 12:59:15 PM

Interesting - didn't even know they actually make 1156 Xeons! Will have to pull the docs - 1366 Xeons have a second QPI channel/register set, as well as support for ECC/rDIMM - almost no chance a desktop board will initialize 'em correctly - can't imagine why there's 1156 Xeons, much less how they work. The usual variance is to allow multiple processors...
m
l
April 16, 2010 5:57:06 PM

galactus said:
ekoostik, thank you for enlightening replies. I'll look for bent pins in addition of course to test the i7 860.

Fatbird, my processor is not on the support list but core i5 750, which is in the support list, also suffers the same problem depending on the memory used!

Furthermore, although Xeon 3440 is not in the support list of EVGA P55 FTW, EVGA P55 LE and Intel Desktop Board DP55KG, it works very well.

I have not done any overclocking! Yet! Simply because it is not stable with two memory modules from Corsair! Only with one memory module!

Anyway I'll test the Core i7 860!

I had a similar problem with a P55A-UD4P MOBO. It recognized only one of two sticks of dual channel memory. I was told the CPU might not be seated properly, or the pins might be bent, etc. Also, I was told to make certain I was using the right slots for the dual channel.) I RMA'd it to Gigabyte. The board was defective. BTW, I was using an Itel Core i7 870 CPU and an aftermarket cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus). Try to use your memory sticks in another MOBO (I happened to have a P55A-UD3 handy, so I was able to test my memory sticks--with a lot of effort); if that doesn't work, then it's likely that you need to RMA.

I'm not an expert, but more of a victim!
m
l
April 17, 2010 1:46:14 AM

bilbat said:
Xeons are architecturally quite different than the desktop series CPU - no hope it will ever work correctly.

I did not know that Xeon 3440 works in desktop boards too. It was a tip from an Intel integrator that made me seek out for other people who used the Xeon 3440.

I found the following topics of users with desktop motherboards and Xeon 3440:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/583473-overclocking...

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/605848-i5-i7-lga-11...

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/637323-lga-1156-rou...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1485736

So, like you can see, it works!

m
l
April 17, 2010 1:53:12 AM

palavering said:
I had a similar problem with a P55A-UD4P MOBO. It recognized only one of two sticks of dual channel memory. I was told the CPU might not be seated properly, or the pins might be bent, etc. Also, I was told to make certain I was using the right slots for the dual channel.) I RMA'd it to Gigabyte. The board was defective. BTW, I was using an Itel Core i7 870 CPU and an aftermarket cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus). Try to use your memory sticks in another MOBO (I happened to have a P55A-UD3 handy, so I was able to test my memory sticks--with a lot of effort); if that doesn't work, then it's likely that you need to RMA.

I'm not an expert, but more of a victim!

Thanks for the tip. My problem is that the seller claims random motherboard incompatibility! And do not want to RMA the board! I´m from Brazil and here they don´t like to RMA very easily!

This Saturday I will test the card with the same processor that was tested by them: Core i7 860!

I'll hope it works!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 2:06:47 PM

While you have it out - don't forget to check those pins! While entirely possible to have a bad memory slot, my experience has shown nineteen in twenty 'missing memory' problems = bent socket pins! Intel guide to examination cited in the 'sticky' will help -- need a magnifying glass and a penlight...

ekoostik - dynamite article! I slaver...[:boudy:1]

[:bilbat:5]
m
l
April 17, 2010 6:53:24 PM

Solved!

To my joy and satisfaction the problem was between the processor's memory controller multiplier and DDR3 Corsair 1600 ! Now all 4GB RAM are properly recognized! No pin was bent!

Now I'm using the Core i7 860 with 3.6Ghz stable. The memories are operating at 1700Mhz. To go up to 4GHz I have to lower the frequency of memories to 1100MHz. But do not get stability without overvolt! I thought it best to leave it alone, since it is so great. At least to buy another set of DDR3 2000! :) 

Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic! Everything was helpful. I opened a topic like this in the official Gigabyte Forum and got no answer! : (
m
l
April 17, 2010 6:57:38 PM

Best answer selected by galactus.
m
l
!