Sign in with
Your question

HDD space decreasing?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2011 6:49:04 AM

Recently I deleted around 60GB of crap from my computer. Bloat ware, old games, old files, cleaned out my program files, used the uninstaller in the control panel, etcetera, but my hard drive space is decreasing daily. No I don't use Norton and yes I deleted the files in the Recycle Bin.

PC details:

Windows 7 64 bit Home edition

320GB hard drive

4GB of ram

HD 4200 video card

AMD Turion dual-core mobile M520 (2 CPUS) @2.3Ghz

More about : hdd space decreasing

a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 7:38:24 AM

It is pretty normal for you hard drive space to slowly decrease over time.
As your system runs it will generate temp files as needed, create new system restore points, automatically update Windows and other software, ect.

Try using CCleaner to clear out the junk once in a while and do not worry to much about it.
If your lack of free space is of major concern you could always upgrade your laptops hard drive.
Current laptop drives go up to 1TB in size and are probably a bit faster than your old 320GB as well.
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
September 6, 2011 12:02:01 PM

You can change the amount of disk space windows uses for restore points and for the trash. In "disk cleanup", I believe in the advanced tab, there is the option to delete all but the last restore point. As long as you know/think you won't need those old restore points, it's safe to delete them.

I also recommend windirstat. It shows a graphical representation of your files and folders so you can see what's eating up the most space.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2011 2:07:44 AM

@outlw6669

That doesn't really make sense because I've had this computer for a year or two, and it's the first time it's done this.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 7, 2011 9:03:09 AM

Could you post how much space you are loosing, how long it takes to loose it and if you are still loosing this space currently?
Also, have you ran a full virus/spyware scan on your system recently?
m
l
!