Sign in with
Your question

Anyone help please

Last response: in Components
January 8, 2010 1:06:47 AM

hello all
I have a system which was working fine before My cousin dissembled and reassembled it again as experiment.
After reassembeling everything was fine for some hours, until after a fresh windows(XP) and some updates the system froze when it was shutting down. When I pressed the off-on switch, after 5-6 seconds I smelled burning-smoke coming from power supply and shut down the system manually. Now when turning the system on lighs come for a second and the system shuts down by itself. When I take the 4pin cable off the mother board , CPU fan run but the system does not come up. Does anyonehave an idea about this please?
Mother Board--Intel 955 bk
CPU----Pentium 4 D 3.4 gh
PS OCZ 520 W
Ram OCZ 6400 or 5300

More about : question

a c 77 ) Power supply
January 8, 2010 1:22:47 AM

It seems like your PSU has died during the experiment. I would look to have him replace that first for you and go from there.
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:23:07 AM

behrad said:
hello all
I have a system which was working fine before My cousin dissembled and reassembled it again as experiment.
After reassembeling everything was fine for some hours, until after a fresh windows(XP) and some updates the system froze when it was shutting down. When I pressed the off-on switch, after 5-6 seconds I smelled burning-smoke coming from power supply and shut down the system manually. Now when turning the system on lighs come for a second and the system shuts down by itself. When I take the 4pin cable off the mother board , CPU fan run but the system does not come up. Does anyonehave an idea about this please?
Mother Board--Intel 955 bk
CPU----Pentium 4 D 3.4 gh
PS OCZ 520 W
Ram OCZ 6400 or 5300

Are you sure the smoke came from the power supply? Remember the PS has a fan that draws the air out so it could have come from the MB inside the case.

You might want to unhook all the cables and make sure that they were all correctly plugged into the right spot on the MB. Use your manual. Do you have another ps or another mb to test if not then I am not sure what else to tell you. You might have fried the MB or a component on the mb. Before you go spending $$ try to find someone to test them for you. If a friend can do it for free that would be great.

I once got smoke from a mb because I plugged the cable in the wrong way for the usb port on the mb. Got smoke but the mb continued to work. Don't give up yet.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2010 1:33:45 AM

I have replaced the power supply with a new one and it did not work. I have exactly the same result as the old one. You guys might be right. It could be the MB. In fact it was more of a burning fumeand smell than a smoke. What chances could be the CPU? I suspect MB could be damaged.
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:40:36 AM

behrad said:
I have replaced the power supply with a new one and it did not work. I have exactly the same result as the old one. You guys might be right. It could be the MB. In fact it was more of a burning fumeand smell than a smoke. What chances could be the CPU? I suspect MB could be damaged.

In that case I would bet that it is the MB and not the cpu. The newer systems have built in protection so it won't destroy your whole system.

Did you go back and check all your connections to the MB?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2010 5:28:05 AM

Tell your cousin to experiment on someone else's PC in future.
m
l
January 8, 2010 5:30:39 AM

and i wonder what the experiment was?

was the experiment successful?

that's an old sys - look at mobo - see if capacitors are leaking, oozing - they are little barrel shaped things all over the mobo. If leaking, it's toast. donate it to charity. It's not worth the cost to fix.

enjoy your new sys.

your only hope is to check all connections - all of them. that might work if the fire did not proceed to point of death. you might be able to score a used mobo cheap. and keep your friend out of your pc - do your own experiments.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 8, 2010 8:59:58 AM

sighQ2 said:
and i wonder what the experiment was?

was the experiment successful?

The operation was a success, but the patient died.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
January 8, 2010 10:46:59 AM

jsc said:
The operation was a success, but the patient died.

^+1... Good point...

They make a kids game call "Operation" if you Cousin wants to experiment again on your PC, having him play the game instead. :D 
m
l
January 8, 2010 8:28:48 PM

caamsa said:
In that case I would bet that it is the MB and not the cpu. The newer systems have built in protection so it won't destroy your whole system.

Did you go back and check all your connections to the MB?

Yes I did change the PSU first as I suspected it could be the source of the malfunction. I have replaced the PSU and nothing changed. But now I think it is the MB. Before changing the MB I was wondering if anyone else may have had a similar experience that could lead to CPU or some other elements, because I don't want to just keep replacing parts.
The Intel MBs of these categories are made to be though and I will be surprised if this one dies on me. However, when it come to electronics elements there is no absolute guarantee .
If any serious suggestion , I would greatly appreciate it.
About the experiment, we all learn in different ways, of which one is trial-n-error or doing it through self-experiment. It was a system-building experience.
Well the surprise part was when windows froze on restarting and I had to shut down the system by keeping the on-off switch in for 5-6 seconds and the smell or fume came out, but it was not visible.
Behrad
m
l
January 8, 2010 8:29:15 PM

Yes I did change the PSU first as I suspected it could be the source of the malfunction. I have replaced the PSU and nothing changed. But now I think it is the MB. Before changing the MB I was wondering if anyone else may have had a similar experience that could lead to CPU or some other elements, because I don't want to just keep replacing parts.
The Intel MBs of these categories are made to be though and I will be surprised if this one dies on me. However, when it come to electronics elements there is no absolute guarantee .
About the experiment, we all learn in different ways, of which one is trial-n-error or doing it through self-experiment. It was a system-building experience.
Well the surprise part was when windows froze on restarting and I had to shut down the system by keeping the on-off switch in for 5-6 seconds and the smell or fume came out, but it was not visible.
m
l
January 8, 2010 8:59:15 PM

behrad said:

What kind of budget do you have?
m
l
January 9, 2010 1:53:13 AM

yes. I have checked almost every thing twice. Guys, keep in mind that the system was working flawlessly before the updates.
m
l
January 9, 2010 5:35:46 AM

did you check all connex?

inside and out?

you could repeat the experiment, and maybe save the patient second attempt.

if you did not blow it up, then it's some stupid little thing that's loose; or something looks like it's plugged in all the way - but it is not in all the way

what other changes you or buddy made, need to be undone - whether you know about them or not.

tear down the whole pc and rebuild

start with a minimum config like cpu 1 stick ram and video - make sure those are all connected and fire it up. then add more parts and fire it up again. eventually you might find that last part you added is defective - or something

you have a bucket of scrap right now; there's nothing to lose; and something to learn

this is what your friendly neighbourhood tekky would do if he pulled your scrap pc out of your household garbage
- and then he'd sell it.

delete all extras and add ons and make the simplest config run - then add the other parts, cards, etc. add in 1 stick of ram at a time

this is not about performance; this is about survival

it should run with 1 stick ram, cpu/hsf, video, or onboard video, psu, and that's all you need. - check connex and turn on - did it work? no? try a diff ram stick. turn if on

it's a process of elimination

if it won't do this, the mobo is junk

or you have a loose connection
m
l
January 9, 2010 5:41:03 AM

it used to work

that's an indicator

then you blew smoke

so you nothing reliable at this point

prove that anything is reliable

take it all apart

add minimums

boot it

I can't see any other help coming. Lots of people have lots of stories about dead pc's - and the causes are all different. The cause might reveal itself. but if it starts working, you still don't know if it's reliable. prove something good. one step at a time.
m
l
January 9, 2010 5:50:36 AM

sometimes just changing the config is enough to wake up a pc that's playing dead

long time ago I had a really old vidcard that i used to resurrect dead pc's - i don't know why it worked - but i formed the weird opinion that things can become electrically constipated, or whatever - and this old ati vidcard was so old and weird that it just disturbed the hell out of any pc it could fit into - i did this like 3 or 4 times - i called it the "magic videocard" and thanked the ati gods everytime :D 

try clearing the bios settings too

disconnect everything and walk away for a day

anything might work

send it to me before you throw it out
m
l
January 9, 2010 6:00:40 AM

<<<< "It was a system-building experience.
Well the surprise part was when windows froze on restarting and I had to shut down the system by keeping the on-off switch in for 5-6 seconds and the smell or fume came out, but it was not visible". >>>>

windoze does not like surprises

you changed hardware and didn't tell windoze
so windoze said screw you

but that's just the o/s and you can reinstall if necessary so that lost windoze can find it's a$$ once again.

but the pc with no o/s will still boot to a very low level and then beep at you cos it finds some error - a beep code is a very good sign of life

what were you trying to accomplish in the experiment?

more info is often helpful - and besides, it might be a funny story.

sigh
m
l
January 10, 2010 1:53:02 AM

Thanks to you all guys ,ESP, CAAMSA and SIGHQ2.
CAAMSA and SIGHQ2 you have professional approach to trouble shooting which I appreciate. I will definitely inform you of the result. I am going to take everything apart and start from scratch. One step at a time.
m
l
January 17, 2010 12:35:07 PM

Hi guys
It appeared that the problem was the mother board.
My wonder was why it happened when windows was updating and was restarting.
Why windows froze on me.
Somehow it could be coincident.
The system is working fine now after replacing MB.
Thank again to those who tried to help .
Bh
m
l
January 20, 2010 12:49:53 AM

when a power supply blows usually the mobo goes with it
m
l
January 27, 2010 3:03:33 AM

Not nesserily. It depends on the part of MB or PS that is malfunctioning and how it is related to the other device parts. there are many cases that one may go out without affecting the other.
m
l
!