Sign in with
Your question

New i5 system build. First time builder! Need some advice.

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2009 10:39:17 PM

Hello everyone. This community is great! This is my first build, I am a little skeptical about building my own rig, but really can see the money savings. I have been in the market for a new comp forever and was going to settle with a 1099.00 dell, but its more then I need. The only hesitation I have is if the thing won't work - etc? So I just wanted to check in with you guys.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week
BUDGET RANGE: Around $800 Before Rebates - Would like to be as close to 800 as possible though.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, general use, surfing the net, writing papers, and just about it all.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon, I do have a micro center 5 minutes away. So whatever.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel i5 processor.

OVERCLOCKING: Possibly, not a major concern.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: unsure

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like an i5 build. Something with sli c/f capabilities down the road. The key here is, I would like to start out minimal i.e. - 500g hd - 1 graphics card preferable gtx260 or 4850 - something along those lines - 4g ddr3 ram, cd/dvd rw, and a Mid tower case - please nothing huge, that is quite.

I have no idea how parts are compatible, etc. So I just want to get a good set of parts that I know will all work together. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Thank you
October 21, 2009 10:41:59 PM

You will have difficulty meeting your budget and needs with an i5 I think.
m
l
October 21, 2009 10:46:46 PM

Proximon said:
You will have difficulty meeting your budget and needs with an i5 I think.

I can go above that, but really don't want to. I fooled around on newegg and got an $840 quote. But I have no idea if the parts are compatible or not.

m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2009 10:49:04 PM

I'll work up a newegg build and post it here....

It came out better than I thought.

I5 750

ASRock mATX P55 board
I chose the mATX format to reduce the size of your desktop but also cost.

DDR3 1333 CL7

CM 341 elite mATX case
I have built using this case for friends and it's very basic but has what you need. Room, adequate cooling with an extra fan, looks nice.

Thermaltake blue variable case fan
Will dress up the case nicely. Goes in the front bottom.

OCZ 500W SXS
Quiet and adequate power. Definitely a budget choice, of course. I have built with this PSU in the listed case also. I liked the noise level of the result.

Samsung F3 drive

HP optical drive

XFX 4870 1GB

Wish lists shows $740

(there is no OS included. you mentioned "papers" so I'm assuming you can get a student discounted Windows 7.)
m
l
October 21, 2009 11:07:47 PM

Yes I can get the student discount.

Thanks! and all these parts will work?

m
l
October 21, 2009 11:14:32 PM

Proximon said:
I'll work up a newegg build and post it here....

It came out better than I thought.

I5 750

ASRock mATX P55 board
I chose the mATX format to reduce the size of your desktop but also cost.

DDR3 1333 CL7

CM 341 elite mATX case
I have built using this case for friends and it's very basic but has what you need. Room, adequate cooling with an extra fan, looks nice.

Thermaltake blue variable case fan
Will dress up the case nicely. Goes in the front bottom.

OCZ 500W SXS
Quiet and adequate power. Definitely a budget choice, of course. I have built with this PSU in the listed case also. I liked the noise level of the result.

Samsung F3 drive

HP optical drive

XFX 4870 1GB

Wish lists shows $740

(there is no OS included. you mentioned "papers" so I'm assuming you can get a student discounted Windows 7.)

I was wondering waht about this mobo + i5 combo?
#

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115215
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

#

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128400
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Totals $334.00

I am skeptical about the mobo you suggested do to the lack of pci slots. As I would like a tv tuner and so forth down the line. etc.
m
l
October 21, 2009 11:17:22 PM

If you get a UD4P you will also have to get a full sized case.
m
l
!