Sign in with
Your question

Is their somthing wrong with my computer?

Last response: in Components
January 8, 2010 1:11:21 AM

I got a brand new monitor for christmas, a week later after it was working perfectly, it randomly shut off every time i loaded up a game. So i brought the monitor back thinking it was the monitor. But i got another one, and it was doing the same thing. SO i knew it was my computer. I called up dell, they were no help once again. Than i got the idea of reformatting my pc to default settings. I did that and it worked!!!! About 2 weeks later it is now. It is starting to do it again, i cleaned my pc and it shut off 4 times when i booted my pc up. Its not doing it right now, but im afraid if it keeps happening its gonna screw up my pc!

My Specs:
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory:
8188MB RAM
Hard Drive:
997 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Thanks for the help in advanced, i know you guys can solve this :pfff: 
January 8, 2010 1:17:19 AM

hxckiller said:
I got a brand new monitor for christmas, a week later after it was working perfectly, it randomly shut off every time i loaded up a game. So i brought the monitor back thinking it was the monitor. But i got another one, and it was doing the same thing. SO i knew it was my computer. I called up dell, they were no help once again. Than i got the idea of reformatting my pc to default settings. I did that and it worked!!!! About 2 weeks later it is now. It is starting to do it again, i cleaned my pc and it shut off 4 times when i booted my pc up. Its not doing it right now, but im afraid if it keeps happening its gonna screw up my pc!

My Specs:
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory:
8188MB RAM
Hard Drive:
997 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Thanks for the help in advanced, i know you guys can solve this :pfff: 

Can you tell me what your temps are? My friend got a Dell and that thing runs hot and the fans will kick into high speed when he is using it. If you system gets too hot, specifically the CPU it will shut down automatically to keep it from burning out. When you play/load a game you system has to work harder and it can heat up your system....that is what I am thinking. I guess you could pull the cover off the case and make sure all the fans are spinning etc. if you feel comfortable doing that.

Or take the cover off and try running it, if it runs longer or keeps running my guess is that it is heat. Could be that the CPU heatsink is not making sufficient contact with the CPU.
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:26:50 AM

thanks for the reply bud, cheers!

right now, im running at 40c, 50-60 on load. I have alot of fans inside the case to help maintain the right temps.

I dont know about my CPU tho, thats my gfx card temps.

I reformatted my PC and it stopped doing it.

Im just dreading the day is happens. Ill get back to you when i get my cpu temps.

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2010 1:37:20 AM

hxckiller said:
thanks for the reply bud, cheers!

right now, im running at 40c, 50-60 on load. I have alot of fans inside the case to help maintain the right temps.

I dont know about my CPU tho, thats my gfx card temps.

I reformatted my PC and it stopped doing it.

Im just dreading the day is happens. Ill get back to you when i get my cpu temps.

Thanks!

Most of the time when a computer is acting up like that it is hardware not the software so it is strange that reformatting it seemed to help.

My brother who has years to exp building computers was having trouble with his son's system and when he checked the heatsink for the cpu he found out that the heatsink was not even making contact with the cpu. He put the thing together himself. He said that those intell heatsinks on the LGA 775 can be a little tricky to put on.

Good luck!
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:37:22 AM

OK!

i got my temps..dont look to good.

TEMP 1 - 54c
Core 0 - 51c
Core 1 -44c
Core 2 - 55c
Core 3 - 47c ...

could this be the cause of these unknown crashes? thx :pt1cable: 
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:42:29 AM

Load temps or idle ?
What model Dell ?
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:48:36 AM

Idle temps right their bud.

its a dell xps 630i...got it a year ago.
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:56:06 AM

hxckiller said:
OK!

i got my temps..dont look to good.

TEMP 1 - 54c
Core 0 - 51c
Core 1 -44c
Core 2 - 55c
Core 3 - 47c ...

could this be the cause of these unknown crashes? thx :pt1cable: 

I am reading that 65c is really the max for that CPU and so if that is your system at idle then I would say it is running a bit hot.

Do you know how to remove the heatsink? You might want to make sure that it is at least not loose...shut it down and unplug it before doing that. Also is it dusty in there. If you have a can of compressed air give it a blast and see what flies out. Might need a good cleaning.

You could also take a look at this.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19274999/19565229...
m
l
January 8, 2010 11:39:54 AM

thx for the links, but it doesnt freeze, it literally shuts the computer off
m
l
January 8, 2010 11:46:07 AM

Those systems are full of problems, the links provided should help give you the best insight as to how you should proceed.

Had they been a little quicker bringing that system to market I may have ended up with one myself, after reading of the problems when they were first introduced I was glad I built my own.
m
l
January 8, 2010 12:12:25 PM

ya :|

if only i knew how to build one..
m
l
January 8, 2010 12:43:56 PM

^ It's not that difficult and there are plenty of guides to help you out should you need it.
m
l
!