Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Existing Data with RAID Setup

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2011 7:42:06 AM

Hello,
I have a 'DEGRADED' RAID 5 setup because one of the HDDs malfunctioned. I was going to take an additional HDD I have with data on it and use it in place of the malfunctioned HDD.

My question is: what will happen to the existing data already on the new drive I am installing? Will the RAID controller span it across the rest of the drives in the RAID 5 setup or eliminate it completely?

Thank you!

Best solution

September 6, 2011 3:06:02 PM

My understanding would be that it would erase this data as with a spanned raid volume data is accessed and read in a different way to reading and writing on a singular drive. This new drive has to take on a new role through out the raid array and will be placed within the span as an extender. I've had a look online and cant find much information with regards to your dilemma. I am a bit stumped my understanding of raid is that it is ruthless, so i would still lay on the affect that you will lose the data in addition to this when you add a drive to the raid it will have to be formatted as the raid needs to be loaded and configured onto that drive just like the others. Therefore you will need to back up your dat before you add it to the array.
a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 4:20:54 PM

You would definitely lose the data on the drive you are adding to the array. Depending on the data in the raid set you may want to copy off any life or death type items before starting the rebuild in case another drive fails during the rebuild and all data is lost
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2011 12:26:51 AM

Best answer selected by rt3d.
m
l
September 7, 2011 12:31:18 AM

tomatthe said:
You would definitely lose the data on the drive you are adding to the array. Depending on the data in the raid set you may want to copy off any life or death type items before starting the rebuild in case another drive fails during the rebuild and all data is lost

Thanks! With what you and Pilk stated...I agree that the data on the new HDD will most likely be overwritten by the RAID rebuilding process.
m
l
September 8, 2011 9:58:13 AM

Only a pleasure to help, feel free to message me at any time for further assistance.
m
l
!