Sign in with
Your question

Hard drives going bad?

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2011 8:25:23 AM

Recently, I have been having issues with my computer running rather slowly, with noticeable lag on most programs, lag when I try to access the hard drives and random (but brief) freezing. For instance, the computer will randomly freeze for 10 seconds or so, making a clicking sound like its thinking and them resume normal operations.

I ran all the usual tests with both the Seagate tools disc checker, as well as the Western Digital disk checker. It seemed rather slow in completing the various tests, but it passed all three drives every time.

The system has also had trouble with sleep mode, as sometimes it would not come out of sleep mode and I would have to manually turn off the power supply, unplug it from the outlet and then reconnect it, before the computer would turn on. Other times, I could put the system in sleep mode, and it wouldn't stay off for more than 2 minutes before turning itself on again.

My old Antec 550 True Power 2.0 PSU was 5 years old, so replaced it last week, thinking that perhaps the PSU was slowly failing. I replaced it with a Corsair Enthusiast v2 TX650, which is a very nice PSU.

Upon installing the new PSU, I promptly reload Windows 7 and disconnected 2 of my 3 hard drives, but the sluggish system performance did not completely go away. I No longer have any issues with putting my computer in sleep mode and waking it up, and the random freezing has stopped for now, but my computer still has a lot of lag.

I have tried reloading Windows and connecting the various hard drives one at a time, but they all seem to experience lag, with the Wester Digital seeing the most lag. I was using the WD Caviar Blakc as my primary system drive, but thinking it was going bad, I transfered the OS to the Samsung Spintpoint drive, only to start experiencing lag on that drive as well.

Any ideas on what is causing my system lag?

Would a flakey PSU or slowly failing PSU cause my other hardware to start failing? Should I check my old Antect PSU for errors?

My Motherboard / CPU / RAM are from December 2010, the video card is from early 2009 and my brand new Corsair TX650 is from August 2011. The three hard drives are from Early 2009 or 2010, fall 2010 and spring 2011.

Antec 1200 v2
5 120MM Blue LED Tri Cool Antec fans
1 200MM Blue LED TRI Cool Antec fan
1 120MM TRI Color LED / TRI Cool Antec fan
Asus M4A87TD
AMD Pehnom II 965 Quad Core 3.2 GHz CPU
4GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Memory (2x 2GB sticks)
EVGA 9800GTX+ PCI- Express
Asus Xonar DG 5.1 (budget sound card)
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive (video files)
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black SATA Hard Drive (backup files / other stuff)
Samsung 1TB SATA Hard Drive (OS / Pictures / Documents / Classical Music / Comnputer Games)
Samsung 22 inch Wide Screen LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Home Premium
Logitech Z-640 Speakers
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/ Mouse
Floppy Drive
DVD/ CD RW Drive
LG Blue Ray Drive

I previously also had an Audigy 2 ZS Gamer and Hauppage TV Card, but they were removed during my last upgrade.

More about : hard drives bad

a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 10:35:07 AM

Have you tried Crystal Disk Info for all these drives?
Try it out, it's free and usually gives pretty accurate data on drives....
Check and see if temps of the drives vary too much
Also check Systems temps with HW Monitor or some other utility and see if there is an abnormal rise
September 6, 2011 10:20:22 PM

alyoshka said:
Have you tried Crystal Disk Info for all these drives?
Try it out, it's free and usually gives pretty accurate data on drives....
Check and see if temps of the drives vary too much
Also check Systems temps with HW Monitor or some other utility and see if there is an abnormal rise

Just installed the Crystal Disc software and examined both the WD drive and the Samsung Drive, but have yet to test the Seagate drive, but will do that later on.

It said the health satus for the Samsung drive was good, and that it was at 31 degrees Celcius.

For the WD drive, the health status was also listed as good, but the temperaturs was listed as 35 degrees celcius.

When it lists current, worst and Threshhold numbers, should I be looking for any specific numbers?

Finally, I checked my Asus PC Probe information, and the CPU is at 31 degrees celcius, with the motherboard at 25 degrees. CPU fan is at 1717 RPM.
a b G Storage
September 7, 2011 6:51:37 AM

The temps you've mentioned are absolutely perfect. No problems there.
I'd not get into the number game with the numbers there, if there is a major problem the health status will tell you it's bad and needs replacement.
!