Something Kamehameha'd my system

Metsuna

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys, so I was playing Modern Warfare 2 on my desktop and all of a sudden, my computer loses power and shuts down. The funny thing is that when my computer shut down, it seems my powerbar also shutdown and took out everything that was connected to it. So i'm not sure what got blasted first, the power supply or the power bar. I think it might be a power surge but my power bar is suppose to protect my computer from surges, so I have no idea what is going on.

What I do know is, after the power returned to the powerbar, when I press the power button on my computer the computer doesn't turn on at all, it seems my power supply is dead and it might have taken the motherboard with it. I'm just hoping my videocard is fine, that's all I care about really.

What do you guys think what happened? I'm wondering if I should this chance to revamp the computer.

Specs:

AMD 64 X2 6000+
Stock Acer motherboard
Stock Acer Aspire E380 Case
Corsair 450W Power Supply
Asus Nvidia Hybridpower 9800GT
4 x 1 gb Adata 667mhz RAM

Solution
The Corsair 450W PSU has received excellent reviews, and should have been powerful enough for your system. It's also not known for killing other parts.
If I had to guess, a nasty spike or surge came along and fried something, possibly in the power bar first.
Turn off its own power switch and unplug the PSU completely for 10 minutes or so, then reconnect it, turn its switch back on, and see if your system will power on. Use a different socket on the power bar, or use a socket you've been able to test with something else (like a lamp).

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i had to replace my PSU, as MW2 was causing it to fail. that game is always causing problems.

same issue though, playing a game of mw2 and the pc would randomly shut down. i had to get a more powerful PSU. dont have any issues now.

The Corsair 450W PSU has received excellent reviews, and should have been powerful enough for your system. It's also not known for killing other parts.
If I had to guess, a nasty spike or surge came along and fried something, possibly in the power bar first.
Turn off its own power switch and unplug the PSU completely for 10 minutes or so, then reconnect it, turn its switch back on, and see if your system will power on. Use a different socket on the power bar, or use a socket you've been able to test with something else (like a lamp).

Solution

Metsuna

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Yeah something spirit bombed my power supply. Replaced it with a 600W OCZ Modular power supply, computer is back up. Thanks for the help guys. The senzu bean worked.