max_e_mum

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hello to you all

I've been asking this (and other) questions at HP, Suppliers and have a thread running over at http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=95935.

The motherboard started life off as a Tyan S2915-E, but then HP got its hands on it and turned their version into the xw9400, along the way they changed a number of things.
The Service Manual for the xw9400 can be downloaded from http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/xw9400/xw9400strg_e_c00774787.pdf, but in the world of computer geekdom, the manual dosen't say much.
It has told me where the front PWR SW has moved to etc

On page 92 of the Service Manual we see figure 4-46, the CPU HSF and the 5 wires, the board advertising says PWM and Tachometer support. Else where I have read stories how some HP 4pin fans have two grounds and both have to be joined (so the fan is really just a 3-wire fan

as seen in figure 4-46 (the bracket=] is the guide at the back of the plug)
]o----- Yellow (PWM?)
.o----- Black (GND?)
.o----- White (tach/sense?)
.o----- red (12v?)
]o----- Black (GND?)

Xigmatech 4pin fan
]o-----bLACK gnd
.o-----RED +12V
]o-----WHITE sense (tach)
.o-----BLUE control (PWM)

So, to get my fans working I may need to re-wire them
Blue
black
white
red
black (bridge with pin#1)

Does anyone know?
Would you agree with my analysis?
Any other motherboard suggestions?

max_e_mum

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I've now written to Foxconn, they seem to make fans for HP
I wrote to HP yesterday saying how they should publish info about out of date motherboards
thus giving second life
That maybe they could sell us adapters making these boards more like clones etc

max_e_mum

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Haven't fired it up yet, am still unsure, but am leaning towards

Both GNDs have to be connected, HP does this to prove that a cooler is connected

Have you read the stuff over at 2cpu
I just found a whole lot of new stuff from planet3dnow.de

there is a pic there for the front panel switc etc, but my earlier post from which a diagnosed the replacement part shows other things
I think we are getting mixed up on different board revisions

I bought one of the china eb** clones
another china auction site shows cartons of the things - about 10 mobos p/carton
These boards are either pre-runs from HP china factory, or
some silly chinaman decided to prirate a board with loads of proprietay stuff (very silly)

rickstem

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Has anyone figured out the HP XW8400 AMD Opteron dual CPU motherboard fan 5 pin f an connectors? I don't think the information above is correct. I am measuring the following voltages on the 5 pin header: looking at the header with the ridge away from you
Pin1: 3.3v
Pin2: 3.3v
Pin3: 3.3v
Pin4: 12v
Pin5: 0v (Ground)

Doesn't anyone out the there have an OEM HP XW9400 that they can advise on the voltages and wires?

Rick

ebpollock

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Not trying to revive an old thread but. Hp x9400 mother boards can be had for 40$ these days. I got mine working with a four pin cup fan by cutting the inside key leg off of the new fan plug. Fired right up after I found the power switch header by trial and error. Still looking for two opteron 2435s for cheap. But not having much luck.

Alias503

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
@ ebp* -
I am running a few xw9400/s2915. I can help with some answers on CPU

The 3/4 pin fans will work respectively. Minimum of cpu0 header needs a fan to boot. F1 errors on the other 3 headers at boot. System is best with liquid. I have cooper slabed with 90mm fans, cooler master vortex plus and different aranngement of liquid.

FYI: ***CAUTION*** 9400 rev 04 jumped 5th pin ground to other ground and north bridge brunt out. The All magical blue smoke was released.