Sign in with
Your question

Is usb 3.0 and sata 6 gb/s worth it ??

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 6:59:23 AM

I'm planning to buy a core i5 750 this month end... selecting the processor was a walk in the park... its zeroing on the motherboard that's got me scratching my head...

initially i had decided on either the ASUS P7P55D PRO or MSI P55- GD65...

now that manufacturers have started introducing usb 3.0 and sata 3 gb/s... i'm totally confused as to go for these boards or the stick on to my previous ones... i know that these eat into my 16 lanes of pci express 2..0... i am planning on a single graphics card rite now and may buy another a year or so later... so should i consider one of these new boards or go for the previous ones only... plz help me..

More about : usb sata worth

a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 10:43:57 AM

abhishekk89 said:
I'm planning to buy a core i5 750 this month end... selecting the processor was a walk in the park... its zeroing on the motherboard that's got me scratching my head...

initially i had decided on either the ASUS P7P55D PRO or MSI P55- GD65...

now that manufacturers have started introducing usb 3.0 and sata 3 gb/s... i'm totally confused as to go for these boards or the stick on to my previous ones... i know that these eat into my 16 lanes of pci express 2..0... i am planning on a single graphics card rite now and may buy another a year or so later... so should i consider one of these new boards or go for the previous ones only... plz help me..

Well in my option, usb 3.0 is worth it. usb 3.0 devices are are already coming out and more on the way. With usb 3.0 many time faster than 2.0 (we been needing the speed boost in my option), i think it will get adopted very quickly.

Now for sata 6gb/s, unless your getting an ssd. it wont be worth it. A single HDD cant saturate sata 3gbs bandwidth yet.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 2:11:09 PM

i was more of thinking to get an addon card later... will that also be using my pci lanes itself ??
January 8, 2010 3:00:49 PM

abhishekk89 said:
i was more of thinking to get an addon card later... will that also be using my pci lanes itself ??

Yes, one of the disadvantages of the add-on card is that it will use some of your PCI lanes.

One of the advantages of the ASUS P7P55D-E PRO is that it uses a PLX bridge chip so that the controller can make full use of the PCIe 2.0 lanes.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-performance...
And you get this feature for only $20 more than the earlier generation PRO motherboard.

Either solution will work, but the ASUS solution is more elegant.
January 8, 2010 3:07:16 PM

Gigabyte have USB 3 and Sata 6 gb/s in their motherboards too.
January 8, 2010 5:02:54 PM

USB 3.0 is worth it. SATA III, not yet because the P55 boards can't run SATA 6gb/s at 6gb/s. The PCI-E bandwidth is limited by the integrated PCI-E controller on the chip. I think that if you use the SATA III ports, you will also decrease the speed of the PCI-E slot from x16 to x8.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 5:29:05 PM

USB 3.0 is worth it but SATA3 will take a while for drives to either drop in price (in the case of SSD's) or go beyond 10K rpm.

Me personally, I would wait until 2nd gen USB 3.0 and SATA3 before jumping on the bandwagon and would not decide on what mobo just because one offers USB 3.0/SATA3 and another does not.
!