Sign in with
Your question

Changing Mobo+CPU

Last response: in Motherboards
April 15, 2010 9:19:48 PM

I am planning on upgrading my system in the near future and since I've never swapped a new motherboard in I was wondering what to expect.
I am looking to replace my motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Currently I have an intel q9550, 8 gigs of not so good RAM, and a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P mobo.

I'm looking to change to an i7 920 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
a gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423
and some ddr3 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Honestly I have no idea what problems come from changing mobos. What will I have to do in making everything (hd's,vidcard, etc) work together? I know that everything is compatible with everything else, although I am also aware that changing something as important as a motherboard isn't just plug and play. Any help would be appreciated, as would better replacements for what I already have picked out.

More about : changing mobo cpu

a c 435 V Motherboard
April 15, 2010 9:38:55 PM

I recommend a bare post outside the case on a non conductive surface, such as a phonebook. You are just testing the ram, board and cpu. The video can be used, as well as the keyboard. But the optical and hardrive should not be checked until after you finish. If you get to the post screen, you can enter the bios, change the boot order, and check the ram settings, especially the voltage. Save the settings and exit. Then finish mounting the board inside the case. You will probably have to reinstall windows with a format, so back up any files first before removing the old board.
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2010 9:59:10 PM

That's an excellent build.. Although i'll encourage you to go for an i7 930.. What dilemma are you in with the changing motherboard..?? If you are not sure about connecting all the peripherals and wires then you can always ask any of your friends or pay few bucks to a computer technician and get it done.. In case you are worrying about loosing your current OS installation and stuff then don't worry.. There are various techniques to retain your OS and data even after a motherboard and processor replacement..
Related resources
April 16, 2010 3:05:05 AM

o1die said:
You will probably have to reinstall windows with a format, so back up any files first before removing the old board.

Emperus said:
In case you are worrying about loosing your current OS installation and stuff then don't worry.. There are various techniques to retain your OS and data even after a motherboard and processor replacement..

I'm looking for pretty much any way to get around having to backup everything I have so I can format and reinstall windows, but if I have to I will. After a reformat is getting data back as simple as just transferring everything back to my drives? Can I just format the hd with my os on it and plug my other one in when I'm done? Up until now I've only changed out things like vid cards and PSUs, or started builds from scratch which is why I am so unsure of how to do this. I guess my main concern is data loss, and how I would go about putting all my data back without a chance of me corrupting it somehow.
April 25, 2010 1:06:01 AM

anyone?
a c 435 V Motherboard
April 25, 2010 11:33:12 AM

I use windows 7, and their backup has a dvd disk option. You'll have to check your windows version. Microsoft has an elaborate backup procedure for xp when loading windows 7 to migrate your files over. I write down my favorite website links that aren't saved by my service provider and format.
!