Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD dying?

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2011 2:23:44 PM

Hey folks!

I recently purchased a new PC a few months back.

* CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

* HSF: Noctua NH-D14

* MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

* RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

* HDD: WD 3.5" Black 1TB WD1002FAEX SATA3 7200rpm HDD

* SSD: Force 3 120GB 550/510 R/W

* PSU: Corsair 850TX V2

* GPU: GTX 275 17**MB - from old comp

* OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS SATA DVD RW

* CASE: HAF 922

* Monitor: Acer 24" LED aka (1900 x 1080)

It's been going great apart from the odd BSOD. These BSOD errors would occur when I've been AFK so no actual task causes them.

However they've been steadily increasing in rate - had at least 4 today alone.

60% of the BSOD errors will be followed up by a Disk Boot Failure.

Having checked Event Viewer.

My OS is currently on my SSD.

I've searched but couldn't find much info on this specific error.

Any thoughts?

Diaz > GSP

More about : ssd dying

a b G Storage
September 6, 2011 2:32:26 PM

run some tests - memtest, prime, furmark etc

hdtune will show smart stats also to check out the hdd
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 6, 2011 2:56:03 PM

Try disabling Hotplugging in Bios.
Also For SSDs I always disable Hibernation.

The SSDs using the Sandforce SF22xx controller seems to have a problem waking up.

For Hibernation:
Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:
In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press ENTER.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 3:08:06 PM

RetiredChief said:
Try disabling Hotplugging in Bios.
Also For SSDs I always disable Hibernation.

The SSDs using the Sandforce SF22xx controller seems to have a problem waking up.

For Hibernation:
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press ENTER.

I've never had a problem with putting my computer to sleep/it waking up.

From being off, my computer can be searching on google within a few seconds, I love it.
m
l
September 6, 2011 3:10:36 PM

apache_lives said:
run some tests - memtest, prime, furmark etc

hdtune will show smart stats also to check out the hdd

Furmark is a GPU test which I don't need.

I ran HDtune (Error Scan) without any errors.

I wasn't able to find Prime would you be so kind as to share a link perhaps?

Edit: i think i found it, Prime95 yeah?

Second edit: Prime95 is a CPU test...
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 6, 2011 3:51:43 PM

For Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Furmark, while it test the GPU, it is also a good test to monitor your +12 V rail
Prime 95 will test cpu/Ram for stability and also a good check for temperatures (CPU) and voltages (PSU).

You may love Hibernation, But your SSD may hate it.
CORRECTION - First, Hotplugging is enabled in Bios then disable, if set to disable try enabling seems to be some question as to which it should be.
If that does not work try turning Hibernation off, just as a test.
If that does not fix the problem, turn it back on. If it does fix the problem - what can I say, Hope for a firmware fix.

Also take a look at the OCZ forum (Agility3/Vertex 3) - Do not recommend, but they have one of the better SF22xx forums
m
l
September 6, 2011 3:55:20 PM

RetiredChief said:
For Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Furmark, while it test the GPU, it is also a good test to monitor your +12 V rail
Prime 95 will test cpu/Ram for stability and also a good psu check for temperatures and voltages.

You may love Hibernation, But your SSD may hate it.

Did both tests, no errors to report.

I've seen no info that hibernating my SSD could be the cause of my current error..

m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 6, 2011 4:33:59 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/06/ask-ars-do-...

From Tony (OCZ official:
Hotplugging = we now think BAD...why?

If you boot a board up from new, you immediately go to bios, set hotplugging enabled on the sata ports and connect one of our SSD's; I feel this may set up the board to behave like it has a USB drive connected. Now add to this you may have flashed FW to the drive with hotplugging enabled also...this may permanently set up the drive so it mimics a removable device.

What I feel happens is the following...this is my theory, no one else's (apart from me&er ) and it is why we have been testing with the following in mind.

A SF2281 controller (used on Vtx3 AGT3 etc) supports automatic partial to slumber. What i feel may be happening is the drive is transitioning from partial to slumber BUT because hotplugging is live/enabled (possibly the drive flashed with it enabled) when the drive hits slumber the host controller (P67 PCH) thinks the drive in some circumstances has been disconnected....hence we get a BSOD with a disconnection error.

Added:
Are you running the latest FW for your SSD and latest bios for MB?
I'm quess you are runing the Intel RST, if so it should be ver 10.6 (Versions 10.1->10.5 have some issues with SSds). 10.6 fixes many but not ALL!!.
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:50:27 PM

RetiredChief said:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/06/ask-ars-do-...

From Tony (OCZ official:
Hotplugging = we now think BAD...why?

If you boot a board up from new, you immediately go to bios, set hotplugging enabled on the sata ports and connect one of our SSD's; I feel this may set up the board to behave like it has a USB drive connected. Now add to this you may have flashed FW to the drive with hotplugging enabled also...this may permanently set up the drive so it mimics a removable device.

What I feel happens is the following...this is my theory, no one else's (apart from me&er ) and it is why we have been testing with the following in mind.

A SF2281 controller (used on Vtx3 AGT3 etc) supports automatic partial to slumber. What i feel may be happening is the drive is transitioning from partial to slumber BUT because hotplugging is live/enabled (possibly the drive flashed with it enabled) when the drive hits slumber the host controller (P67 PCH) thinks the drive in some circumstances has been disconnected....hence we get a BSOD with a disconnection error.

Added:
Are you running the latest FW for your SSD and latest bios for MB?
I'm quess you are runing the Intel RST, if so it should be ver 10.6 (Versions 10.1->10.5 have some issues with SSds). 10.6 fixes many but not ALL!!.

I've read that article. Once again, it's not relevant to me. I'm not getting a BSOD when I wake my computer up.

All my Drivers/FW are updated.

m
l
September 8, 2011 1:21:24 AM

silverclaw said:
I've read that article. Once again, it's not relevant to me. I'm not getting a BSOD when I wake my computer up.

All my Drivers/FW are updated.

It's wierd,I am having a problem almost the same except mine won't boot into Windows.It goes to the screen and then it Blue screens.
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:29:11 AM

seanny said:
It's wierd,I am having a problem almost the same except mine won't boot into Windows.It goes to the screen and then it Blue screens.

Are you able to go into your event viewer > Windows apps > system and look for errors?

I'd like to know if it's a similar thing to mine.

My errors seem to be random though, I get them when browsing the internet or gaming.

Another interesting thing. I lied about having an updated FW for my SSD. I'm currently using the same FW it came with (v1.2)

I tried to update it to the new v1.3 FW and the Corsair software wont even recognise my SSD.

Just a giant cluster *** after another....
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:31:19 AM

I'm going to reformat it tonight. If the errors continue, i'll be forced to RMA it.
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:59:59 AM

silverclaw said:
I'm going to reformat it tonight. If the errors continue, i'll be forced to RMA it.

I can't do anything.The last 2 options I have are 1) Unplug my other drives>If my drive is not recognized after all the drives are un hooked then, it is toast.Weird,shows up in BIOS but not on POST screen. 2)Download a disk wipe(I have a good one) and completely erase everything on the Ssd.I know this maybe a silly long shot but the reason might be that I can't put the OS on the drive is simply because there is not sufficient space.If that does not work,then RMA.Someone said try the CMOS battery.I will do so.My settings are on default anyhow pretty much so I won't hurt anything.I can build them,take them apart and fix all issues but when it comes to hard drives and soundcards,I am a stumbler.Baffled many times over.About 75% of the pple I talked to said to RMA the thing.But I don't like to send something back unless I KNOW it IS dead.
m
l
September 8, 2011 3:03:17 AM

Sometimes drivers and firmware conflict with one another.
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:02:40 AM

seanny said:
I can't do anything.The last 2 options I have are 1) Unplug my other drives>If my drive is not recognized after all the drives are un hooked then, it is toast.Weird,shows up in BIOS but not on POST screen. 2)Download a disk wipe(I have a good one) and completely erase everything on the Ssd.I know this maybe a silly long shot but the reason might be that I can't put the OS on the drive is simply because there is not sufficient space.If that does not work,then RMA.Someone said try the CMOS battery.I will do so.My settings are on default anyhow pretty much so I won't hurt anything.I can build them,take them apart and fix all issues but when it comes to hard drives and soundcards,I am a stumbler.Baffled many times over.About 75% of the pple I talked to said to RMA the thing.But I don't like to send something back unless I KNOW it IS dead.

Did you post this in the wrong thread?
m
l
September 8, 2011 4:41:15 PM

no,I have posted in the right one-actually different ones.a..about the Ssd drive issue.
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:22:57 AM

Silverclaw, keep us updated, because i have exactly the same problem.
I updated firmwares, bios, drivers etc, but still i find my pc restarted hanging at the boot screen when i come back from being away.
The only thing that helps is to switch sata ports or to unplug the power cord for a few minutes.
Then i can restart normally but the freezing and restarts always come back.

The last thing i can try now is to reinstall win7, if that doesn't help i'm forced to rma.
Awaiting your experience on the reinstall...
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:37:01 AM

chuck001 said:
Silverclaw, keep us updated, because i have exactly the same problem.
I updated firmwares, bios, drivers etc, but still i find my pc restarted hanging at the boot screen when i come back from being away.
The only thing that helps is to switch sata ports or to unplug the power cord for a few minutes.
Then i can restart normally but the freezing and restarts always come back.

The last thing i can try now is to reinstall win7, if that doesn't help i'm forced to rma.
Awaiting your experience on the reinstall...

Sounds like exactly the same issue I'm having, curious about your PC specs.

I managed to update my SSD FW from v1.2 to v1.3 but the errors still occur.
m
l
September 9, 2011 11:09:52 AM

Different system specs here, but same problems.

-i5-2500k 3.3
-asrock p67 extreme 4
-c300 crucial ssd 64gb
-samsung 1TB
-8gb ram ddr3 1300
m
l
September 10, 2011 3:50:05 PM

things got worse here, pc won't boot at all anymore. I'm rma'ing my mobo. If problem persists i rma the ssd aswell.
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:54:01 AM

Seems like I fixed the problem by updating my drivers? Strange too because I'd searched either using a different program - it said no updates were needed.

The program i used to update/install the drivers, ReviverSoft Driver Reviver.

I also uninstalled a few programs that weren't compatible with W7

Hope this helps..
m
l

Best solution

September 16, 2011 10:09:15 PM

The problem is fixed here, the motherboard was faulty.
New motherboard b3 and no more problems.
September 24, 2011 3:29:52 AM

Best answer selected by silverclaw.
m
l
!