Sound Blaster X-fi titanium and xbox 360 surround sound not working. help?

lodliam

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
hi
i just bought i new Creative PCI express sound blaster X-fi Titanium along with the official xbox 360 HDMI cable with the optical out port for it.
anyway the sound works great when the sound settings on the xbox are on stereo 2.1 .
but when i try changing that to 5.1 then thats when i get trouble
i cant figure out how to get my sound card to decode the Dolby Digital audio coming out the xbox.
is their anyway i can get this to work?
i cant find anything useful to me on the internet. and the help button in the creative audio control panel isnt much help either.
anyone know how to do this?
thanks in advance

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
You're trying to play the Xbox surround sound through whatever speaker setup you have for your PC, is that right? I only just now read about Xbox audio, and I only just now read the worthless manual those idiots at Creative have pointlessly sacrificed perfectly good trees to print, and it looks like you should be able to do it. You don't say what your PC sound setup is or what operating system you're using, but I'd (Vista) be clicking on every button I could find in ControlPanel/Sounds in Windows. Vista pretty much hijacks the sound driver.

lodliam

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
yes sorry
im running windows 7 ultimate x64
my sound card is the Creative PCI express sound blaster X-fi Titanium
and i am using logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system
and all i need to know is how to get this sound card to decode the sound coming from the xbox.
i can hear the startup sound the xbox plays when it firsts powers on then after that the sound gets encoded. all the settings in the windows sound control panel seem fine and cant do a thibg to alter it

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Poking around the Internet, it looks like Creative's drivers suck. (Is there a sound card maker whose drivers don't?) I found a post on Guru3D that claims to link to a (hacked, I guess) driver that will unlock decoding on your card. I'd scan with Norton before using, if I were you. I'd also scream at Creative if I were you.

I just got done wasting about a day fighting with my new Diamond card, trying to get it to do DDL. I'm using the driver from C-Media, the chipmaker, because Diamond's driver didn't let the TOSLINK work at all. I thought I had a bad optical cable at first. I found a solution to the DDL thing in a review at, of all places, Amazon.com. The moral of this story is "manufacturers' drivers suck."