Am I doomed?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • BIOS
  • Thermal Compound
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2012 3:45:34 PM

I didn't know of this resource a few days ago, but I wish I had. I just built my first PC, and spread the thermal paste with my finger. I did check temps in the bios and am steady hanging around 32 degrees C. Am I in trouble here?

More about : doomed

February 14, 2012 4:00:26 PM

I may just go ahead and reapply it tonight.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 4:14:36 PM

use a business card or a cardboard with an edge and create a nice even player
there are youtube videos too showing how its done
m
l
Related resources
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 4:16:22 PM

What are your specs? 32C is a pretty average stock CPU temp. Pretty good for some CPUs.

Also there is no single correct way to apply thermal paste. Due to different viscosities, different pastes require different methods. Even different application methods may work better on different CPUs with the same paste. Go by whatever the manufacturer recommends.
m
l
February 14, 2012 4:22:04 PM

The processor is an x6 1045t. I am using the machine as a server to back up 3 other machines at home. Nothing special in there. All stock stuff.
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 4:30:08 PM

Your temps are fine. Idle temps don't really mean anything anyway. Stress the CPU with Prime 95 for a half hour or so and check your load temps if you are worried. Personally I think 32C is pretty good for a Thuban at idle. It is a 6 core CPU after all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 5:42:51 PM

Bob the Nailer said:
I didn't know of this resource a few days ago, but I wish I had. I just built my first PC, and spread the thermal paste with my finger. I did check temps in the bios and am steady hanging around 32 degrees C. Am I in trouble here?

That temp is cool for an idle CPU. Do stress test(Prime95, wPrime etc..) on the CPU and observe the temp by using H/W monitor, Real Temp etc. Cpu under full load should not go over 72.9 celsius.
m
l
February 14, 2012 5:58:11 PM

I apply paste on cpu and cooler. I then usually twist a cooler few times before I snap on a clip on or tighten the screws.
m
l
February 14, 2012 6:29:43 PM

Thanks everyone. I still don't know if it's worth the effort to take it apart, clean it, and redo it.
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 6:36:34 PM

You still have not even told us what paste you used.

As I stated above there is no single correct way to apply paste. The manufacturer's website will have the correct way. Arctic Silver for example has different ways to apply to different CPUs. What works for AC5 does not work for thicker IC Diamond ect.

If you did use Arctic Silver keep in mind it has a 200 hour cure time before it reaches maximum effectivness.

Your temp are about as good as they are going to get. Especially with a stock cooler. Nothing at all high about a 32C idle.
m
l
February 14, 2012 6:54:10 PM

Is it possible to get hotspots if there are air pockets? Wouldnt afixing the heatsink compress it enough to get rid of air pockets?
m
l
February 14, 2012 7:34:03 PM

I wouldn't worry man your idle temps are fine... I wouldn't air pockets isn't the bad part about spreading with your finger it's more of a body oil issue... but if your temps are fine then don't worry
m
l

Best solution

a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
February 14, 2012 8:30:34 PM

I'm not sure how many times you need to be reassured. Of the several hundred computers I have built over the years there is not one I would be concerned with if my idle CPU temp was 32C with a stock cooler. Hell even with aftermarket cooling you are not going much lower than that.
February 14, 2012 8:31:27 PM

Best answer selected by Bob the Nailer.
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:31:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. You're right... I will just live with it. Everything is running fine.
m
l
!