Need Psu recommendation Pls

Hi guys, i would like to get some recommendation on Psu for a new system. it'll be my 1st time building and rig and i'll be putting the followings into the rig

AMD Phenom II X4 955
XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5
OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm
3 harddrive @ 7200rpm

i will overclock my system but not too extreme and also getting another graphic card for crossfire in the feature.
i've read a few forums but i'm still a little unsure about which brand and power supply needed. price range will be anything under $220. i do know a lot of people recommend antec and corsair. Will look forward to your reply, Thank you =).
13 answers Last reply
More about need recommendation
  1. corsair tx 750
  2. ^+1
  3. obsidian86 said:
    corsair tx 750

hey there, thx for reading my post =). i tried the psu calculator(extreme power supply) and with the components that i included, the minimum required power supply is around 800W+. i might add a TV turner to it too, but not sure if its worth it.
  4. The PSU calculators give you a ball park number. The wattage on PSUs can be manipulated by the manufacturer to make them appear better than they are. I think PSU calculators overestimate for that very reason.

Corsair makes high quality PSUs. They generally run better than theya re rated. The Corsair 750 would power both cards.
  5. i have looked around and have these 2 on my list
    Toughpower XT 850W Cable Management
    Corsair TX950W
  6. G82 said:
    i tried the psu calculator(extreme power supply) and with the components that i included, the minimum required power supply is around 800W+

You either have a lot more components than you stated in your first post or you did something wrong.
  7. delluser1 said:
    You either have a lot more components than you stated in your first post or you did something wrong.

Hello again, yeah i set the overclock to around 3600Mhz and show a 800w+ and if i bring it down to 3400mhz it drop below 800W.

Is thermaltake a good brand for psu? i think i'm going to for a 850w psu just so i've enough room to work with if i need to add more stuff. thank you for all the replies, it really helps =D, just need to narrow down to which brand to get and top of the list is corsair since it comes highly recommended by you guys.
  8. I'd go with the corsair 950w over the Thermaltake.

This is also a very nice PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151083
  9. A 750W Antec Truepower New would be enough for Crossfire. The price is the same as the Corsair, but it is 80+ bronze vs. 80+, and is also semi-modular.
    Both PSUs review very well.
  10. Seasonic is another excellent choice. If you are particularly into efficiency, check out their "X" series, which are 80+ gold. At low load levels, they don't even need to run their fans; irrelevant while gaming, but after the last corpse hits the ground, and you're ready for a [hopefully shorter] rest yourself, your system will quiet down nicely. See www.jonnyguru.com for a review of the X650.
  11. G82 said:
    Hello again, yeah i set the overclock to around 3600Mhz and show a 800w+ and if i bring it down to 3400mhz it drop below 800W.

You're still way high.
    I set the OC for 3.8, added 5850 crossfire , 3 HD's , 2 sticks of ram , 4 high performance 120mm fans, 2 x 120mm LED fans, 2x DVD drives, floppy drive, sound card, fan controller , TV tuner, a couple of extra USB devices and 25% capacitor aging and only come up with 661 watts.
  12. One up for delluser1. I couldn't come up with above 700W. But if you are dead set on it I would go with corsair I have had 2 corsairs and 2 Thermaltakes and wasn't that impressed with the Thermaltakes could be that they were lower priced Thermaltakes but still. Also think about how much it would cost to run that 950.
  13. Thanks guys, i'm geting a lot of good info here =D
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product