3d glasses and other ?s

Timelord70

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Does ATI cards support or have something like the Nvidia 3d vision kit?
My ATI X1900 GT card died and I am looking for a good replacement.

I want to get back into playing new games and not want something I need to upgrade in under a year.

My MB is Asus A8R32MVP so it support crossfire but I am hoping to get a good enough card that I can use just 1 and then in the future when price lowers maybe pick up a second if even needed ever.

Hoping to stay around the $200 mark.

Thanks

Solution
ATi already does 3D the way they both did 3D with glasses, nVidia just named theirs, like ATi named their surround gaming Eyefinity.

Both have access to the option, it's just a question of whether they've put the effort into making a user interface to make it easier for people who are rather new to gaming.

Check this previous thread I covered it already;

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=272646&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=&trash_post=&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

For $200 you're in the HD5770 range.

Look at the bottom og the HD5770's product page it's pretty specific about "3D stereoscopic display/glasses support" ...
ATi already does 3D the way they both did 3D with glasses, nVidia just named theirs, like ATi named their surround gaming Eyefinity.

Both have access to the option, it's just a question of whether they've put the effort into making a user interface to make it easier for people who are rather new to gaming.

Check this previous thread I covered it already;

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=272646&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=&trash_post=&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

For $200 you're in the HD5770 range.

Look at the bottom og the HD5770's product page it's pretty specific about "3D stereoscopic display/glasses support" ;

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-specifications.aspx

Solution

Timelord70

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I am just tring to get the best bang for my limited buck. I was going to get a 4870 or Nvidia 260 but thought with Windows 7 and DirectX11 support the new 5000 family might be better for future support and things as long as the rest of my system good still.

Asus A8R32-MVP, FX-55 2.61G, 3g mem.

Sounds like the 5770 is good. I am guessing the 5850 more $$. Unless you get more bang out of it. I can do abit more than $200 just not in the $275 and up range. I have to get a new power supply either way also.

It's missing from the HD4K series the same way it wasn't in the GTX280 when it launched.
Only because people are talking about it now is it there now. If they listed every possible current and future use the list for both IHVs would be 5 times as long as it already is (which you still missed even though it's right there :p ).

The HD2K+ and GTX2xx series both support OpenCL but you didn't see that mentioned in their release literature either.

The HD4870 is a nice card and can outpace the HD5770 often, but, you're on the low end of the system requirement, anything more than an HD5770 would likely go unused until you update your system, so might as well add features, since the framerate difference will be capped at the highest settings and I doubt the HD4870 or even HD4890 would be better in real world situation.

As for 3D, remember, regardless of the solution you need to be able to render fluid 60fps (mirrored to 120FIELDS [with little effort] in 3D) for a good solution (the 30 fps [60 in 3D] isn't as fluid on either), so you'll want a card that can keep up, but it may still be your CPU and the rest of the system that hold you back for recent and new titles.

With the lower power consumption and lower heat the HD5770 is likely a better match, especially if the PSU is an older one with that older system, the HD48xx series would likely add about 50+W load just for the card.