Which one do I choose? HELP?!

hcauq

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Okay, so I am building a cheap gaming rig at the moment but I don't know what video card to use.
I am debating between:
- XFX Radeon HD 5750 700MHZ 1GB 4.6GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card
- XFX GeForce GTS 250 738MHZ 512MB 2.2GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card
- EVGA E-GEFORCE GTS 250 738MHZ 512MB 2.2GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card
- BFG GeForce GTS 250 OC 750MHZ 512MB 2.2GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card
- BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE55 590MHZ 896MB 1.998GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I Video Card
- Or whatever you guys think is good
My max price range is $175. Also, could you guys please inform me what kind of power supply is needed.

A good 550 is all you need for those, though your GPU choice is also dependent upon what motherboard you will be using. If you are going to use a crossfire only board then its silly to get an nVidia GPU, and vice versa. Where will you be buying from? The 5770 or 4870 is in your price range on newegg and would perform better than everything except the GTX260. If those are your only options then go for the GTX260 as its the best performer of the bunch.

TheViper

Distinguished
At $175 you can get an HD 4890 or HD 5770. I'd recommend either over any of those listed.

Hard to suggest a PSU without knowing the rest of your system to ensure you get the proper wattage, amps and cabling support.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable, and come with a five year warranty.

TheViper

Distinguished

Spot on word for word.

hcauq

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
The processor is a AMD X4 620 and it's running on a Asus M2N68-AM SE2 Motherboard. I guess the only way to go is NVIDIA then ? I was planning on just using a cheap 8800GTS I found for now until Nvidia comes out with there line of DX11 GPU's. Is that a good plan?

Good advice.

Let me add some simple sizing. If one of those PSU's has sufficient 6 or 6/8 pin pci-e adapters for your video card/s then there will be adequate power for your whole system.