Critical and Urgent!!!

I tried to run my Norton Antivirus and automatically
closes... so does my adware and spyware remover... I'm
thinking: Trojan...
3 answers Last reply
More about critical urgent

    Me think so too...
    Including information which should help. See section re:
    CoolWWWebSearch.Smartkiller

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    WARNING: If your PC is already infested with spyware/adware, resist the
    temptation to impulse buying of anti-spyware products that you see on the
    Net or receive as e-mail Spam. Vendors of "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware
    products advertise heavily via Google's "AdWords" ("Sponsored Links" on
    Google's own search pages) and "AdSense" (Google-driven advertising
    delivered to third-party web sites)," otherwise known as "Sponsored Links."
    And many are known to create problems or your machine just to try and sell
    you the way to "fix" it. There are a variety of anti-spyware products and
    web sites -- some reliable and trustworthy, some not.

    Instead, you can get help online from a corps of savvy volunteers who
    specialize in busting spyware.

    First:
    I suggest you start by going here:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php
    OR
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/

    The folks at these forums have a lot of experience in dealing with
    Hijackers/Spyware/Malware. There is no charge for the help and information
    available although donations are accepted. Be sure to read the guidelines,
    and following their instructions you will download a little program called
    HijackThis. Its purpose is simply to scan your computer and generate a log
    of everything that is running at that moment. It does not decide what is
    Good or Bad. That's what the experts at the forums will do. So *DO NOT* just
    arbitrarily start deleting what it finds.

    Next:
    Set up a user account and post your LOG there, not here. Someone will
    analyze it and let you know if anything is amuck and what you can do to fix
    it. In the event the site is down -- DDOS attack, whatever, go here for a
    list of other Security Analysis sites and/or forums: http://a-sap.org/

    Check your browser settings here:
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to
    help prevent infections when surfing the web.

    ***Always follow safe Internet practices:***

    1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

    2. Keep your anti-spyware up to date, and scan your system regularly.

    3. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email
    addresses.

    4. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW!
    Many viruses, worms, and trojans infect a person's system then immediately
    spread themselves to the people in the infected person's address book via
    email attachments.

    5. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files
    with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE
    unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

    6. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.

    7. USE A FIREWALL.

    Scumware Removal & Protection Tools:

    BEWARE of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
    One surprising and depressing aspect of the anti-spyware scene is the sheer
    number of applications that are mere rip-offs of Spybot Search & Destroy or
    Ad-Aware (two of the most recognized and trusted anti-spyware apps on the
    Net). Proof of this can be found here:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/family_resemblances.htm
    but, the following list contains a number of (mostly) FREE programs that can
    be used to eliminate immediate threats as well as secure your system.

    CWShredder (FREE)
    Removes all variations of the spyware/hijacker ""CoolWebSearch".
    This is the first line of defense whenever you suspect possible parasite
    infestation. Some current variations of CoolWebSearch block Ad-Aware and
    Spybot from catching everything.
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

    There is a new, really ugly variant of CoolWebSearch. Infected machines will
    close every browser window visiting many anti-spyware sites. Possibly
    anti-virus sites or even Windows Update. It will even close Spybot S&D and
    some other anti-spyware applications when you try to use them. To eliminate
    this threat, use CWS.SmartKiller Removal Utility:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4113.html

    Spybot FREE
    Removes hijackers, spyware, adware, usage tracks and more. Resident
    ""TeaTimer"" feature monitors crucial processes on your machine. It
    immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and
    terminates them. In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to
    change some critical registry keys. It can protect you against such changes
    giving you an option to "Allow" or "Deny" the change.
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

    Ad-Aware (FREE) & Pro
    Protects against Data-mining, Ad-Ware, Parasites, Scumware, selected
    Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components.
    http://majorgeeks.com/download506.html

    HijackThis (FREE)
    As mentioned above -- USE WITH CAUTION -- Just scan your machine, then save
    & post the log to: Spywareinfo
    http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    Tutorial and download:
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    SpywareBlaster 3.2 (FREE)
    Prevent spyware from installing in the first place! Prevent the installation
    of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other
    potentially unwanted pests. Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet
    Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2859.html

    If you need a good (FREE) antivirus:

    AVG
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

    AVAST

    Online Virus Scanner:

    Trendmicro
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Panda

    This may sound like a lot of work and it is. But, if you follow this
    outline, you'll learn a whole lot in the process and have a much more secure
    computer.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    <Deadshakespeare@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I tried to run my Norton Antivirus and automatically
    > closes... so does my adware and spyware remover... I'm
    > thinking: Trojan...

    A better trojan remover is Pest Patrol. You have to
    manually delete things unless you buy it, but it found
    stuff ad-aware, spybot, and spysweeper did not.

    Greetings --

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms can disable antivirus
    applications whose definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one
    or more of the free on-line scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    <Deadshakespeare@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I tried to run my Norton Antivirus and automatically
    > closes... so does my adware and spyware remover... I'm
    > thinking: Trojan...

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP