Sign in with
Your question

Bad cpu or Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2010 6:24:52 PM

i HAVE A Biostar K8M800-M7A,socket 754 with a Sempron 3000, The system powers up all connections from power supply have power, but the monitor does not turn on i have tried a few different video cards an still no change,will a bad cpu cause this to happen, I also have a ECS 755-A2 socket 754 with an Athlon 64 3200+ with the same problem I have tried swapping cpu's between the two systems but still same the ecs was running til bout two weeks ago and started freezing up in windows,i could restart and it would run sometimes for 2min an sometimes for 2hrs,I now have ordered another cpu hoping it will fix this problem. If anyone can help me with this issue I would be very grateful.

More about : bad cpu motherboard

a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 6:28:19 PM

both are very old technology.

have you tried removing the ram, turning it on and listening to the post boot codes

if it beeps it could be the memory...
January 8, 2010 6:35:04 PM

Hellboy said:
both are very old technology.

have you tried removing the ram, turning it on and listening to the post boot codes

if it beeps it could be the memory...

Yes i just did and got no sound also the power button won't turn the system back off.
Related resources
January 8, 2010 6:38:57 PM

And yes they are old I built them a few years ago an the athlon was a very good system for me to play games on. i had used it until just a few weeks ago. I'd like to fix this one for now and im gonna build a new system in the future but what but today will outdated come tomorrow.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 7:00:40 PM

tomc3976 said:
And yes they are old I built them a few years ago an the athlon was a very good system for me to play games on. i had used it until just a few weeks ago. I'd like to fix this one for now and im gonna build a new system in the future but what but today will outdated come tomorrow.

ok hold the power button in for over 10 seconds it should switch off

sounds like it could be the processor... but motherboards cause issues like this too unfortunately.. your in the luck of ebay im afraid.
January 8, 2010 7:10:55 PM

Ya thats where i bought them both,also the power button doesnt respond after the sys is running even holding it for 30 sec, I have a question for you why do you need so much storage space with that many harddrives.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 7:28:24 PM

tomc3976 said:
Ya thats where i bought them both,also the power button doesnt respond after the sys is running even holding it for 30 sec, I have a question for you why do you need so much storage space with that many harddrives.

mmm, lol i sometimes wonder my self..

I run my own computer business and data recovery is onething that i do hence i have customers data on some.

The rest i use to make DVD's from various image formats for various customer requests.

I believe it or not both my 2gbs are a 3 quarters full each i have just ordered another two to back this lot up on.

I have also got some developement work, image files, personal files and loads of music.

I can fill a TB hard disk up in three months :)  with various files, edits and file images that i have. I have ghosts of customers hard disks too.
January 15, 2010 7:08:32 PM

Well i got the new cpu's and still have the same problem so I'm guessing that the motherboard has something bad on it, so all that was just a big waste,I should've bought a new board an started over but I wanted to fix what I had. Now I need to know what is the best board in a socket 754 that will accept an ATHLON 64 3200+ I like the way they run and want to stay with it but not sure which board will hold up the longest I have tried BIOSTAR and ECS an neither lasted 2 yrs. Any suggestions on what board would be the best for me to buy.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 4:39:30 AM

Its not the case of which one is best, its what one you can buy

Socket 754 motherboards have been EOL for over 3 years now,

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin... is one place i found

if your in the US google for a socket 754 motherboard, or try ebay.

They just dont make them anymore, I have some Gigabyte boards in stock and those and ASUS are the best there is.

Good luck in finding a replacement but it might be time for an upgrade !!!

a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 4:49:55 AM

You can upgrade to a new quad-core AMD system for $300 exc. GFX.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 4:57:09 AM

amdfangirl said:
You can upgrade to a new quad-core AMD system for $300 exc. GFX.

geez must get more sleep :( 
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 5:01:06 AM

I reckon.
January 23, 2010 2:31:11 AM

I dont mind to upgrade but the only thing i am sure of is building an amd system,but other than that i really dont know where to start.
!