Looking for new graphics card please help!

Well it seems my 8800GTX 768MB card went/is going out so its time to buy a new card. I have been searching the net for good replacement but would like to get some input on what yall think.

EQ2 is the game I play on my pc, I run two monitors one 24" and one 21" at 1900 on the 24" and 1600 on the 21".

Seeing how EQ2 is primarly based off Nvidia platform I would like to stay with Nvidia. I don't want to spend anymore than $100 - $300 on a new card. Some have suggested that I can get a nice card for under $200 and then get a new processor to handle the new card?

Here are my spec's

If I do end up getting a new CPU while I'm at it what do I need to do in order to make sure it works well with my current motherboard?

1000watt--Thermaltake toughpower W0132RU power supply quad sli rdy
processor (intl core 2 duo processor E6700 (2x 2.66ghz/4mb L2 cache/1066fsb)
motherboard (MSI P6N SLI-F nForce 650i SLI chipset w/7.1 sound, GB lan, s-ata usb 2.0 IEE) <-------this is strange because the book i have for my motherboard says P5n-E SLI....humm
memory (2048MB [1024mb x2] DDR2-800 PC6400 memory module corsair xms2 xtreme <-----------I added another 1gig chip later on
video card (nvidia geforce 8800gtx 768mb w/dvi + tv out
hard drive Serial ATA-150, 10,000 rpm WD raptor wd1500adfd
Windows XPHome

I have been hearing good things about Nvidia's 200 series cards any suggestions there? Want something that is at least current generation.

I am rdy to buy now :o

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about looking graphics card help
  1. I would look around for a Radeon 5850 for dx11.
  2. Best Nidia card in your price range is the GTX275, a considerable upgrade from the 8800.
    But then again the HD5850 is in a similar price range and wipes the floor with the GTX275 in many tests.
    If you find the 8800 gives enough performance, then I'd suggest getting a GTX260, it's a little faster than your current card and a lot cheaper than a GTX275. And you can put some of the money saved towards getting a total of 4Gb of RAM :)
  3. coozie7 said:
    Best Nidia card in your price range is the GTX275, a considerable upgrade from the 8800.
    But then again the HD5850 is in a similar price range and wipes the floor with the GTX275 in many tests.
    If you find the 8800 gives enough performance, then I'd suggest getting a GTX260, it's a little faster than your current card and a lot cheaper than a GTX275. And you can put some of the money saved towards getting a total of 4Gb of RAM :)

well the only reason I have never went for the full 4gig's of memory was because of windows XP. I have always been told that there was no point in going with a full 4gig's because windows dosen't/won't even use all of it + w/the 8800 GTX and the current 3 gigs I was almost at 4gig's for gaming purposes.
  4. for 32 bit windows, yes you will not be able to use more than 4GB or RAM (RAM+ graphic VRAM). if you have the chance to upgrade your windows try upgrading to something like win 7 64 bit. btw with win XP you're stuck with dx9. so there a no real difference in getting dx10 or dx11 cards. if you must upgrade because need more performance then something like GTX260 will be good
  5. renz496 said:
    for 32 bit windows, yes you will not be able to use more than 4GB or RAM (RAM+ graphic VRAM). if you have the chance to upgrade your windows try upgrading to something like win 7 64 bit. btw with win XP you're stuck with dx9. so there a no real difference in getting dx10 or dx11 cards. if you must upgrade because need more performance then something like GTX260 will be good

Yea it will be a bit before I upgrade to Win7 want to make sure that it works well with EQ2 before I do that.

So is there any real benifit to going 4 full gigs on memeory + what I wil have w/the new card i get?
  6. Don't bother adding more ram. While 32 bit XP can technically handle 4 gigs in practice most only end up with 3.2-3.5 gigs being recognized by the system so the upgrade would be very marginal.
    The HD5850 is also my recommendation but if that's really the only game you play I would think that a GTX 260 or 275 would handle it admirably.
    As for the CPU just get a decent fan/heatsink and OC. You should be able to get it up to 3.5 ghz without much of a problem. If you want to upgrade to a quadcore this website should help on what chips your board can handle;
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/
  7. EQ2 is severly CPU limited. Were you able to run decent framerates at max settings with your 8800GTX? If so, and you have no immediate plans for playing other games (I played EQ for 7+ years, I didn't play much else in that time, hah) then you may not experience much of a graphical increase from a high priced videocard without a CPU ugprade. Even then, you may not need much more of a video card to run that game full banana.

CPU + a GTS250 would probably kick that games ass.
  8. Well it seems every where I go folks are recommending the AMD 5850 card as the card of choice right now. So think I am leaning that way, while I am at it I would also like to upgrade my CPU. Current CPU is processor (intl core 2 duo processor E6700 (2x 2.66ghz/4mb L2

Have had some suggest this Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz

Would I see a nice performance improvment with the new card and that CPU vs my old card and CPU?
  9. Figured I would give a update, I ordered my new card and processor almost 2 weeks ago.

Sadly they are still out of stock on the video card!! ATI 5850

I received my processor a while back but it does little good for me seeing how its my video card that went bad
  10. Well got a notice from Amazon today about a ETA on RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Card ROFL!!!! According to them it will be after 12-25-09 my lord that is insane! I mean I can understand when something new comes out and is a hot item it can be a bit hard to find it in stock but 2 months!!

And the wait contiunes sadly.

Ended up ordering a diffrent card just to hold me over until I can get the 5850 wife was so very happy when I told her....lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics